“Amazing way to see the city!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 111 activities in Shanghai
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Our walking culinary tours have been featured in the New York Times, Guardian & more. Come explore Shanghai's tastiest authentic cuisine!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
NY
“Amazing way to see the city!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Shanghai is an amazing city with so much to see, and for anyone who likes to be active and wants to fit in a bit of exercise on vacation (especially with all the amazing Chinese food to try!) I would definitely recommend the running tour! Kyle was a great guide, and the run can be totally tailored to your preferred distance, and you can go at any pace you like. It was amazing to get up early and see Shanghai come alive, and as I did a fairly long run, I think we covered most of the things in the guide book. That was brilliant because I could figure out where I wanted to go back to and spend more time.

Kyle was very knowledgeable on the city, and shared insights of both history and what it's like to live and work there. He picked me up at my hotel and escorted me back, and took some photos on the way as well. It's definitely a unique thing to do, and one of the most memorable parts of the trip. Bring your trainers!

Visited September 2011

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A "fitness" tour you can't miss!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

My boyfriend & I went on the 10K running tour through Shanghai and had an absolutely amazing time & experience. Kyle was fantastic and took us through the old and new parts of the city. It certainly helped to have his experience to navigate some the side streets, describe what we were looking at (food, culture, etc) and also converse with the locals when we had questions. A great experience and one that I strongly recommend. Definetly plan to take the Oodles of Noodles the next time I am visiting! You really don't need to buy anything but I would suggest a few bucks if you want to buy a cup of coffee or any local fare to eat after you are done the run.

Visited October 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best way to explore Shanghai!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We went on both the Morning Markets Street Eats and Markets Extravaganza UnTours with Kyle. They were both well worth it! I speak pretty basic Mandarin, but without Kyle, we would have never been able to find such gems!

The markets were incredible- we had a whole tea ceremony, and wandered through the different tea shops. He also took us to a crazy, bustling market full of crickets and other crazy sights. Certainly not a typical tourist experience.

The food on the street eats tour was unbelievable. I only wish we could've physically eaten more! Kyle did a great job ordering us the best kinds of food, so we got to try a variety of different things. The stalls he chose had the best food I'd ever tried in China!

Kudos to Kyle for being an excellent tour guide, and hopefully we will get to take another tour in the future!

Visited September 2011
Shanghai, China
“yummy street food tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

tried out street food I never would have dared on my own! Everything was so different, delicious, definately something to try if you want to do something off path here.

Visited October 2011
The World
“Incredible foodie tour through the backalleys of Shanghai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

My tour began with a brisk walk in a Shanghai park where at least 100 people were practicing their morning tai chi. Soon after I joined a couple also on tour, Kyle and Jamie and the untourists rambled into a small street corner where many Chinese vendors were serving their delectable breakfast dishes such as spicy noodles, rice porridge and fried sweet breads. As we left the corner and made our way down a back alley, the various hanging garments on clotheslines above windows was quite a sight. As we made our way through this alley, we then came upon a street corner where a delightful old man was making thee most delicious pork/scallion fried buns you have ever set your teeth upon!! The line was long, however, these tasty little treats were worth all the wait. We then passed through one of the local wet markets where the smell of fresh pork loins and vegetables, among the clamoring shoppers was a true sight to behold.
Making our way down another street in the french concession, we were soon trying some of the strangest tofu you have never seen (personally, I like the stuff). Finally, we reached the end of the line where Kyle and Jamie treated us to a final dessert, the (in)famous Chinese egg tart. Yep, you really don't stand a chance of not falling in love with these tasty little desserts. Also, make sure to ask (time permitting) to visit the Chinese sesame noodle spot too!! WOW! Majiang mian!! You don't want to miss it. Thanks Kyle and Jamie!

Visited August 2011

Been to UnTour Shanghai - Culinary Tours & More? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage UnTour Shanghai - Culinary Tours & More, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later