“Best Memory From Shanghai” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #1 of 11 Food & Drink in Shanghai
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Our walking culinary tours have been featured in the New York Times, Guardian & more. Come explore Shanghai's tastiest authentic cuisine!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Memory From Shanghai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

We just returned from our two week trip to Shanghai, and without a doubt our street food tour with Jamie was one of the best memories of our trip. We took our tour on the second morning we were there, and it was a great way to experience Shanghai food and local life. We took the Tues. morning street food tour and registered the day before. We were worried that it might be too late to register, particularly since we were bringing a three year old with us, but Jamie got back to us right away to confirm our reservation. The tour was well planned out, with great food and many opportunities to sit and eat. Jamie took care of everything: purchasing the food, making sure we had water and we comfortable, she even helped me pick out a drink to try at a local convenience store when I told her I wanted something different and not available in the States-Chrysanthemum tea! As we walked between stops, Jamie answered our questions about Shanghai life and culture. Even my friend who were were staying with found the tour really informative-- after listening to Jamie she said that she was comfortable ordering street food on her own. During our trip, we recommended the tour to everyone we met in Shanghai, including many of the expats that we met during our travels. Even our friend who lives in Shanghai is anxious to take the tour again! I highly recommend this tour-worth every penny (or yuan!).

San Francisco, California
“A True Unique Shanghai Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Do you ever wish you have that great friend living in the city of your destination when planning for your next trip? A friend that knows where locals go to when they’re craving for the best bowl of noodles in town. Or one that can help you burn those calories from eating too much fried dumplings while sightseeing through interesting parts of town in your running shoes. Or perhaps you want a friend that can engage in smart conversation but also fun to be with. These were the things that I got to experience with Kyle & Jamie, the duo behind Untour, when I visited Shanghai in July for work. It’s a bit funny in hindsight… I got to explore the city with them in all sorts of footwear: my running shoes (blade runner night run), flip flop (eating through the night market) and dancing shoes (Well, it wasn’t really dancing shoes and I don’t dance, but I had a great time checking out Shanghai’s nightlife with them). You get my point... All good fun in its own unique way. So if you’re still scrolling through Trip Advisor or other web travel sites searching for that unique and memorable experience in Shanghai, my only advice to you is to sign up for one (or two… or three) of their tours and start thinking about how much fun you’re going to have. I can’t wait to go back and try out their other fun tour options!

3 attraction reviews
“Exactly what I want to pay for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

On my trip to china i partook in my fair share of food tours and
sightseeing tours and bike tours, and untour Shanghai running and
noodle tours take the cake.  On the food tour you'll get the coveted
experience of not being treated like a tourist because of your adept
guide. At the same time you'll see some sights that weren't on your to
do list but totally enhance the experience.  My favorite was having
some of the past times of Fuxing Park illuminated (e.g., morning tai
chi, zoomba-esque dance groups, card games with hilarious names). If
you can't decide between the food tour or the running tour, do both.
Then do the cocktail tour.
Its not even a question!

Atlanta, Georgia
“UnTour immersed us in local culture, great food and insight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

We were a group of 8 flight attendants in Shanghai for a long layover and took the Oodles of Noodles tour. Jamie and Kyle met us at our hotel and took us to five great noodle joints located in the French Concession.

The food was delicious and these were places we'd have never found on our own, nor would we have known what to order. We only saw American travelers in one of the four places.

In the first restaurant, we could tell the locals don't normally see travelers - one of them took our picture with her cell phone. She told me "This is the best noodle place in Shanghai."

We got a wonderful sampling of different types of noodle dishes. We walked from restaurant to restaurant, so saw quite a bit of this iinteresting section of Shanghai.

Jamie and Kyle are Americans living in Shanghai, so know their stuff. They were great hosts and could answer our questions about the local culture, even informing us that the locals enjoy drinking Chivas mixed with green tea when they sing karaoke!

If you enjoy big organized bus tours that take you to tourist restaurants serving "Americanized" food, this might not be the tour for you. But if you're a little adventurous and like a more personal and authentic experience of local culture, I highly recommend UnTour Shanghai!

Sydney, Australia
“The most delicious tour I have ever been on”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Where to begin! This was just the most enjoyable morning I could have ever imagined. We devoured dumplings, wandered the bustling food market, met brilliant artists in the park, slurped on fantastic sesame noodles, and had some great laughs as well. Did a trip with Jamie and a trip with Kyle. They are both incredibly knowledgable about the city, speak incredible Chinese, and really help you capture authentic Shanghai. Overall, fantastic. Next up is a running tour!

Visited June 2011