“My oasis of calm in the chaos that is China.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kerry Hotel Pudong Shanghai

You added Kerry Hotel Pudong Shanghai to your Saves list
Kerry Hotel Pudong Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1388 Huamu Road, Pudong New District, Shanghai 201204, China (Century Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #11 of 3,987 Hotels in Shanghai
Ko Samui, Thailand
“My oasis of calm in the chaos that is China.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I'm not going to lie, I'm in love with the Kerry. We live a few hours outside of Shanghai and when we need to venture into the city we stay at the Kerry and we are finding more and more excuses as to why we need to go into the city to justify yet another stay.
As I'm writing this I am here for our 5th or 6th stay in a two month period.

What they do well is everything.
Check in is quick and efficient both at the lobby reception desk and also in the club lounge.
The rooms are beautifully decorated in subdued tones (beige/blues/gray) and very comfortable with large beds, wonderful arm chairs with well placed reading lamps, iPod docking station, a lovely dining table and well stocked desk.
The amenities are L'Occitane and in ample supply.
We have ordered room service several times and every order has been delivered quickly and most important-delicious.
We have also tried BREW and COOK and were happy with both. There are also many other dining options in the Kerry Parkside Mall which is actually attached to the hotel so if you are here on a longer stay you will not get bored with what is available within a 2 minute walk.
We are lucky enough to stay on the club level and the club lounge serves a fabulous breakfast and a well stocked happy hour selection of food and cocktails. I must metion that there are gluten free baked goods available at breakfast which was cause for celebration for our family as our son does not eat gluten and typically we have to pack his food and bring from home but not when we stay at the Kerry!
My husband and I did try the spa which, while truly enjoying the massages, we found to be overpriced. Don't get me wrong, the therapist was fantastic but in Shanghai there are so many spas within walking distance to the hotel that it is difficult to justify paying 10 times the price for the same treatment you can get elsewhere. My husband likes to remind me that we are paying for the entire experience, the ambience. I have noticed that they are running a buy 1 get 50% off a second service so maybe they realize just how much competition is next door.
For us the piece de resistance is the Adventure Zone because when the child is happy the family is happy. And I have to admit, the adults love it too for two reasons, you can sit back and relax and watch your kid go crazy for a few hours or you can join in the fun and go down the massive(seriously) slides. The Adventure zone is a two story play area like nothing I've seen in Shanghai.
The pool is also great because there is a children's pool as well as an indoor lap pool and huge jacuzzi.
This is all typical of a 5 star hotel but where the Kerry really shines is it's staff. They are by far the nicest and most professional hotel staff we've come in contact with in a long time.
During our first stay we accidentally left our iPod on the docking station when we checked out and the Rooms Division Manager, Henry, had it personally delivered within the hour, to the opposite side of Shanghai to where my husband was in a meeting. We love Henry. We've since stayed several times and he is always helpful and genuinely gracious.
Another stay we forgot a diaper for our son(just in case of the overnight accident) and again within minutes they delivered one to our room at 8PM. Headache tablets-no problem, delivered to us at breakfast in a matter of minutes(speaking of, fantastic margaritas in BREW).
The staff in the Club Lounge are superb. Our son left his favorite teddy bear there and Monica brought it up to our room as soon as she spotted it. Myline arranged a fresh watermelon juice for our son at happy hour even though the staff were obviously very busy and watermelon juice was not an option. Laura is lovely and always helpful with our requests about what movies are showing or local events. I don't want to leave out the male staff members because they are just as delightful but I fail to remember their names!
To be fair I'm trying to come up with what they could work on and the only thing I can think of is more help from the porters upon arrival. We are typically dropped off on the curb at the front door and only sometimes are we met by a porter. Typically I am stuck dragging in luggage and a 4 year old (through a revolving door) but as soon as I get into the lobby the porters rush to help.
We are leaving tomorrow and I'm already thinking about the next visit!
I highly recommend the Kerry for both business and pleasure.

Room Tip: We are now staying on the 31st floor and there is a loud intermittent mechanical noise that I have n...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Aoyama Dori and San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed her on business and couldn't be more pleased with the location and convenience to my office and the customer's site. Taxi fare is very cheap in Shanghai compared to other major cities so getting around is not a problem. The room was quite large and very well furnished. The only top-tier amenity missing was a washlet toilet seat which frankly surprised me for a hotel of this class in Asia. Everything else about the facility was top-tier. The upscale mall on the first and lower levels has many convenient dining choices.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Positives first- hotel staff are terrific and have had excellent training. Very friendly and willing to help you any time you ask. Limited mini-bar in each room with free snacks, sodas and juices, nice touch.

Fanstastic gym, you can not do any better anywhere.

Location is not central but if you are going to the convention center this is the most convenient hotel. Subway is in the basement of the shopping mall which runs through the building on level 2 and convenient enough once you know. The staff ask you to exit the hotel on the ground floor and walk through a construction area which is less obvious.

Less than positive- steak restaurant is very expensive but most of our food was quite ordinary, especially sides and salads. One of us ordered the cod which was absolutely excellent and the best choice, the steaks were greasy as if they were pan fried. We ordered a bottle of white wine for the cod and very oddly they did not wrap it in a linen napkin. Every time it was poured water dripped on the food! We unsuccessfuly pointed this out twice and wrapped it ourselves. At over 700 yuan per person they could do a little better.

Breakfast was good, no issues but also not outstanding in any way.

Room was comfortable but pretty simple, bed was very nice. However having stayed at 20 or more Shangri-La properties, I was not that impressed with the room or the bathroom amenties.

Unless your business is in the vicinity, you can do much better in Shanghai for the same money. Otherwise it is fine for a short stay, but no great bargain for what you get.

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Since opening I am nearly every month a few days in Kerry hotel.
I prefer a quiet location and best service, both I find there. The staff are very handsame and friendly, and the free use of the minibar articles is unique. Also the size and cleanness of the rooms is excellent.

Room Tip: Get Golden Circle member before you stay in a Shangri La Hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I have had the opportunity to stay at the Kerry 4 times now and each time I discover more. From the state of the art Fitness Center, Child activiity center, to the Mall conected to the hotel, all you need for a great stay in Shanghai is here. The hotel staff is remarkable. The food & beverage locations are dynomite within the hotel, as is the access to other f&b locations in the mall and surrounding area. Having a metro hub right at the hotel is a HUGE plus and makes getting around Shanghai very easy. I look forward to my next trip!

Room Tip: All rooms are great, some of the corner rooms offer additional windows and broader views.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Spent a week at the Kerry Hotel on Business. From when I checked in until I checked out the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was very nice with lots of room. The view from the 23rd floor overlooking Century Park was very nice when the weather allowed. Breakfast was very good with a large variety of food choices. My favorite place was "The Brew", an onsite microbewery with 6 beers and live music. A very nice place to relax.
It is conviently located at the end of Metro line 7 and a short walk to Meihua street. It was a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Request a high level room overlooking Century Park.
United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Our first experience in Shanghai was delightful, and the Kerry Hotel was no stranger to this. From the moment we stepped out of the airport arrival lounge to our farewell to Shanghai, the hotel has covered all our desires.. The airport transfer, the greetings from everyone in the reception area every day, the comfortable room with a view of the skyscrapers, the wonderful restaurants and shopping boutiques, the very efficient personnel on our floor, all this combined created an unforgettable experience. Without a doubt, a 5 star performance for the Kerry Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor with a view on the Pudong financial district and Century Park
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple