“U.k.Travellers beware” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lee Gardens Hotel Shanghai

You added Lee Gardens Hotel Shanghai to your Saves list
Lee Gardens Hotel Shanghai
4.0 of 5 Apartment Hotel   |   No.255 Dong'an Road, Xuhui District, Shanghai 200030, China (Formerly Xuhui International Executive Suites Shanghai) (Dapuqiao)   |
Ranked #91 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
4.0 of 5 stars 118 Reviews
glasgow.scotland
“U.k.Travellers beware”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Having spent 4 days at this hotel,2 at the start of a 16 day holiday and 2 at the end,firstly I have to say, I cannot fault the actual hotel..It is beautiful,well placed and very clean. My problem arose when I first arrived and needed to change English notes into currency.Having been in China previously I had no problem changing money in any of the hotels,but in this instance, although the exchange rate is clearly shown at the desk, they refused point blank to change my £50 note.My tour guide suggested perhaps to try a smaller note, but as we were on our way out I left this until later.I tried again later with a £20 note but was still refused...result being I spent 1.5 days with no cash, fortunately none was required, as the tour director went in his own time to stand in the 30minute queue in the bank of China for me.On returning 14 days later....still very disgruntled, I noticed that in the room the booklet of information clearly stated that All major currencies could be exchanged.With said information book in hand I headed back down to reception,with the intention this time of requesting the manager.However whether it was the blue leaflet in my hand I will never know,as when I presented my notes I had them exchanged with no problem....Upshot is, take some local currency with you to avoid this problem.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel. The location is very convenient, subway is just few steps away. There is also a convenient store next door. Besides this there is a bakery store and 2 other restaurants next to the hotel. The room was clean, equipped with all the necessity that the 5 stars hotel used to provide. The room size is not big, but we just came back for sleep, so it is ok with us.
When we came to the hotel by taxi, there were 2 men who dressed in black suit and stand in front of the hotel. We have 5 luggages, my husband start to unload them while these 2 men just stand there and watch without giving any hand. I have to ask them to give us some help, then one of them went back to hotel to ask the bell boy to come out and another one still stand there watch my husband unload the luggage by himeself. The service is not good.
Beware that this hotel does not exchange Canadian dollar, you have to carry US dollar.
Overall this hotel is good to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed at this hotel 7 nights. The rooms were clean, however it is not an ideal location for sightseeing or shopping. The subway is around the corner, if you can navigate your way around, which is not easy, no English signs and difficult to know direction and platform changes. We stayed at the beginning of our trip around China and were given a standard double room, on the 4 floor. The room was quite noisy as the hotel is on a main road. The second time we were given a suite on the 24 floor, which was very comfortable and no noise penetration. Suggest you ask for a room on the higher floors. Breakfast is so-so. Mainly caters for the locals, with very little choice for the Westerners.

Room Tip: Request floors 20 and above.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Stayed at this Hotel for a few nights. The rooms were clean and well furnished with good sized beds. . Meals were plentiful, well cooked and presented nicely . The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Historic Southern Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

This Hotel is located a bit off the beaten path re "tourist" spots, but is less than a 2 min walk to the MRT which goes everywere. The room is very nice with a great bed. I booked this hotel because of reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and as usuall was very happy that "I found" this hotel. It was a nice place to stay for 5 nights while taking the metro to the Expo Center.The Satff was pleasent and easy to deal with. I never ate in the hotel resturant but FYI just another minute walk past the MRT entrance is a nice Coffee & Pastery shop!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Orinda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We were visiting some folks nearby and our host booked this hotel for us. Since the location seems a bit out of the way for most Shanghai visitors, we were surprised at the quality and comfort of the room. Ours was large, had two good size comfortable beds, a nice sitting area, and a mini-bar area with microwave (but not the kitchenette that some of the other reviewers got). What we especially liked, after uncomfortably hot rooms in Jiuzhaigou and Chengdu (and later Beijing), was that the room air conditioning worked exceptionally well. There are computers on the ground floor for guest usage, but we didn't try them since the Internet in the room worked well.

Our included breakfast had a modest selection of Western and Chinese dishes, but nothing to rave about. There were cook-to-order eggs and on one of the days the cook also made pancakes, the other day he made waffles. Because we speak Chinese, we had no problem communicating with the staff. However, beware of the difference in elevators getting to the restaurant at breakfast time. We were staying on one of the upper floors, and there is an express elevator that serves just those floors. The other elevator(s) serve all floors and are incredibly slow during the breakfast rush. It seems like they stop at just about every floor and either there is something wrong with their programming as most floors had no people waiting, or the guests simply gave up waiting and used the stairs.

If you are looking for a good restaurant in the area, it will be hard to find. A relative did take us to the Shanghai Peninsula Shark's Fin Seafood Restaurant at 518 Lingling Rd. a few blocks away and we enjoyed it. But in the immediate vicinity, there isn't much. I tried a so-so fast food noodle place a few doors down from the Family Mart convenience store and the 85 Cafe. The 85 Cafe does have good pastries (though the selection is far smaller than the 85 Cafe we've tried many times in the U.S.), but it has very little seating. Fortunately, the comfy sitting area in your room suffices for take-out. The center of Shanghai (e.g. the Ritz-Carlton/Portman) seemed about 15- 20 minutes away by taxi. The hotel is very close to a subway stop, but we did not have a need to use it.

We found the breakfast and front desk staff to be courteous and professional. I would certainly recommend this hotel if you have a need to stay in the Xuhui District like we did. But if not, you may be better off finding a place more centrally located, with more restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Get one of the upper floors so you can use the express elevator.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

The reception was very good, and like most of China, the english was basic. The room was fantastic, I stayed on the 13th floor. The view wasn't anything special, but I ended up getting a decent deal. The bed was very comfortable, and the overall room size was excellent. Bathroom/shower were very spacious as well. The two annoying things about this hotel were the 'Haier' TV standby light would shine into your face at night (I had to cover it with a towel to get some sleep) and the elevators were very slow and not connected (i.e. 4 lifts were available and each switch corresponded to each lift). The transport is fantastic, within 60m of the Line 4 and 7 Metro lines, and some local shops for eating and shopping were nearby.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Lee Gardens Hotel Shanghai? Share your experiences!