I have stayed at the Royal international 3 times now, and the reason why I have chosen to come back is it is close to the factory I work with, and reasonably priced with nice rooms.
My resent stay is though probably what will not make me wanna stay there next time I come to Shanghai. I booked a NON smoking twin room, but was put in a smoking room, an asthma persons nightmare. When we asked to change rooms we were told that there were no non-smoking rooms free. We were told we would get one larger non smoking the day after, but when we came to swap the same thing happened. So, we had to stay in a smoking room, on a smoking floor- 2nd floor if I remember right, the whole stay, I felt horrible and regret not complaining or leaving to another hotel.
What I liked:
-Price is reasonable for room size and quality
-Rooms are nice and nicely furnished (if you get what you had booked...)
-Lovely, smiling and helpful staff working in the breakfast/main restaurant. One of them even helped me logging into the internet by using her own phone number.
-Other staff helpful, sometimes too much.
What I didn´t like:
- Got a smoking room when ordered non smoking
- Bathtub leaking, water all over the floor
- No minibar in our room
- Room service food, no way as good as it was the first time I stayed.
- Some of the staff speak poor English...
- You have to wear a swim-head cover if you wanna use the pool... (and buy it there not so cheap as most people dont travel with their own or even wear them) I never even put my everyday washed hair into the pool water. This stopped me from using the pool, which I have used before and I liked it that time.
- There is no outdoor area where people can sit down, enjoy the weather or relax.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.