“Great hotel but not in a convenient location.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel

You added Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.59 Siping Road, Shanghai 200086, China (Sichuan North Road)   |
Ranked #50 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Australia
“Great hotel but not in a convenient location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. It is close to the subway station so is easy to get around. The only downside to this hotel is it is in a very dull area. There are no nearby restaurants I would feel comfortable eating in. There are a couple of nearby fruit shops that sell fantastic in season fruit at cheap prices but apart from that the area is quite bare.
The breakfast buffet has a good selection of food and is tasty.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Joyce Z, Director of Marcom at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear HammertimeOO,

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel! Thank you very much for your positive feedback, and we are glad to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. There are actually quite a few lovely restaurants which might be a bit hidden from the main street, but we would be more than happy to recommend them to you according to your preference during your next stay.

Sincerely hope to welcome you back in the future for more explorations!

Best regards,
Joyce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Location: The hotel is NOT in a very lively area, to get to restaurants and/or shopping, you have to take a cab or use the metro. There was nothing useful in walking distance except a supermarket. The hotel is however directly opposite the metro station, but it is only served by two metro lines and both are not that useful. All in all, I would definitely choose to stay in a more central location near people's park or Huaihai road next time.
Rooms: We stayed in an executive suite which was very spacious. It didn't however have bund views which was a shame. The room was nicely appointed, it did maybe lack that wow factor that will make you remember it in the future. The bedding was fantastic (silk maybe?) and I would love to buy that for my home. The bathroom featured a nice walk-in shower and a separate toilet as well as a bathtub with TV. One point of critique is the dressing area which was very small and there was not enough space to hang your clothes or put them anywhere. We definitely needed some more shelves!
Breakfast: The breakfast was very good, lots of options, both asian and western. I felt that the restaurant was maybe too small as it felt very crowded. One incident that happened was very annoying: We had both left the table to get some fruits and when we went back to it, someone was sitting at it?! They obviously cleared our table and seated someone else there in the 2 minutes we weren't there. It was evident that the service staff were not capable of overseeing the tables.
Service: Generally I felt like the staff were not trying very hard to make you feel welcome. I don't think we got many smiles or people going out of their way to help us. Sadly, that is the standard in many big Shanghai hotels: Efficient, but cold service. The Sheraton was no different here.
Facilities: Before arriving, I was very excited about the pool and the other facilities advertised on the website. However, the hotel is selling gym membership to local residents and they arrive en masse! If you go during the day, it is very crowded in the changing area and the pool. It's a shame as it really ruins the whole experience. Better to go in the evening shortly before the pool is closing. Another pet peeve I have is when people give you that look when you arrive shortly before they close and then go: "We are closing in 30 minutes, you know?" I understand they want to go home but the pool is open until 10 pm and as a guest you should not get any attitude when you try to avoid the crowd and go later.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Joyce Z, Director of Marcom at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear shanghainese8,

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. Thank you very much on your valuable feedback. We will definitely bring your comments on the services to the relevant departments for their attention. Sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!

Best regards,
Dongguan, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

As part of the Sheraton, I would expect that the buffet restaurant to be well managed. I had lunch with my friend there by using loyalty points. The reception seemed very helpless about the procedure. I have used my points many times, so I had to explain her how the system works. Frustrating!
The best part of the buffet was the Sashimi station, all other stations were average. The dessert station was a disaster. We had seen some really delicious cakes, so at the end of the meal we had saved some space in our stomachs. Guess what - the cakes on display were not part of the buffet… I have been to many buffet restaurants and I experience for the first time that something ON the buffet is actually not part of it. I mean, it doesn’t make sense! All was left were some rather not appealing desserts. I had talked to the assistant restaurant manager, but he didn’t want to get my point.
I had also ordered a freshly cooked fish, but the chef at the fish station must have forgotten about it.
Service was terribly inattentive, I can see that it is lack of training and staff motivation. This is Shanghai Sheraton, not a second-tier city Sheraton, so my expectations are higher, but were not met at all.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Joyce Z, Director of Marcom at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Natalia,

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies for the experiences you encountered. For sure we will bring your comments to the team for their attention and improvement. We do hope you will consider giving us a second chance in the near future.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I was at the hotel for 2 nights during the second week of January, 2014 -on a business trip. The hotel is well located and the rooms are very comfortable. The bathrooms are huge, well maintained and surpass all expectations. Very good breakfast selection and I was satisfied with the in room dining options. The staff are attentive, efficient and speak a passable level of English. I look forward to my next stay at the Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Joyce Z, Director of Marcom at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear T T.

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you very much for your positive feedback. Sincerely look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed here for only one night and was quite impressed. The rooms are nice with the showers and great pillows as the best part. The executive lounge is very nice with great service and the fitness center is large enough and clean. The only downside was the Japanese restaurant. They were out of a lot of items and totally messed up our order...at least there was a great view.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Shelliu,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay here with us. And your feedback on the Japanese restaurant is well noted as well, we will pass your feedback to the team for their improvement. Looking forward to welcome you back in the future.

Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I am staying at this Hotels several days a year for business reasons...rooms are spacious and clean, staff is nice and helpful, all good...we got a fair rate at the hotel as our company is renting it very often, but regular rates are quite high...still, one of the best Hotels in Shanghai.

Room Tip: Some rooms offer a view on the skyline..really nice, but not worth the upcost if you ask me...rather...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Joyce Z, Director of Marcom at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Wumme96,

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us. For sure we will forward your valuable comments to related departments for their attention. Sincerely look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is a very nice and modern hotel. I had a large room with a comfortable bed. The metro station is just opposite the hotel and it is only a few stops away from the main tourist attractions (the Bund, Yuyuan garden etc). The price is significantly cheaper than hotels near the Bund so this hotel was definitely a good choice. Hotel staff was very helpful, spoke fluent English and went out of their way to help me. On the day I arrived in Shanghai my mobile phone was stolen at the metro. It was my first time in China and I don't speak any Mandarin so I was very stressed and panicked at that point. When I reached the hotel, I explained what happened to hotel staff. They helped me call the police and when the policeman came, the hotel manager helped to translate. The police asked me to go to the police station to get a police report for my insurance claim and the hotel manager went with me. The queue at the police station was quite long (mainly people who had lost their phones, wallets etc) but the hotel manager was very patient and stayed with me until I obtained the police report. At the hotel, he even wrote an English translation of the police report and let me borrow the scanner at the club lounge so I could send the report to my insurer. Service at this hotel far exceeded my expectation and I would give 10 stars to this hotel if I could! I would like to thank all staff at Sheraton for making my stay at the hotel pleasant and for helping me get through a very stressful day! For those of you thinking of going to Shanghai, please be very careful at metro stations and keep all your bags zipped and close to your body as the pickpockets are highly skilled.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Joyce Z, Director of Marcom at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear kristy321,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay here. Sincerely hope to welcome you back to Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel again!

Joyce

Been to Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel? Share your experiences!