“Very comfortable hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.59 Siping Road, Shanghai 200086, China (Sichuan North Road)   |
Special Price
Early Bird is coming!
Ranked #28 of 3,734 hotels in Shanghai
New York City, New York
“Very comfortable hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Although I don't rate the city of Shanghai itself highly as a tourist destination, the hotel itself was very good. Spacious rooms on high floors overlooking the city, interesting design (picture attached), 2 Metro lines around the corner and, yes, wi-fi in he rooms. People mentioned that the pool/spa in the hotel were very good, but we didn't get a chance to try it. The Japanese restaurant on the top floor offered a nice panoramic view of the modernistic skyskrapers of Pudong. A benefit of being closer to the river and away from the center of Shanghai (Old French Concession, etc) was that the air quality was a lot better near the hotel than in city center, where on one of the days it was truly awful. There is a 1930s Bauhaus slaughterhouse converted to a collection of art galleries, restaurants, etc within walking distance - but it proved to be a disappointment compared to its review in my guidebook.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheraton_Hongkou, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Yanik,

Thank you for your comments and I am delighted to see that we were able to WoW you.

Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future!

535 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

We arrived in Shanghai before flying back home and I must say it was the best hotel stay! We were in Chongqing for 10 days and coming to the hotel was great the welcome was as if we are a guest who comes every week. The ladies and gentlemen( I lost their card a German Indian manager and his Dutch assistant) were brilliant!
The food was en par with any 5* in the Uk or Us! Amazing! Can't wait to be back !
To the managment I congratulate you on such a team.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Aysinghlondon,

Thank you so much for your review and it is good to see that you had a wonderful stay! As well thank you for outlining Paul and myself!

Please do let me know if you ever plan to visit us again.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My new husband and I are on the last leg of our honeymoon. We have stayed at all Starwood properties through Thailand and China. While we were pleased with our stay at the Westin Resort in Phu'ket, Thailand, most of our hotels in China have been below par. However, from the moment we arrived at the Sheraton in Shanghai, everything has been amazing. We began with an amazing dinner at the Japanese restaurant. We then headed the next day to the Club lounge where the manager there treated us to wonderful personal service hilighting the hotels committment to superior customer experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Alana S,

Thank you for your comment and it was wonderful to meet you in our club lounge. I still do remember you and I hope that we will meet here again or maybe somewhere around the globe!

Take care

Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed 4 nights in October 2012, apparently was the 2005th customer, and thus was upgraded to a suite by the very nice manager. Fantastic room, huge, great view of the bund. 2 bathrooms, 2 TV's, everything you can ask for and more. I could have played football in the room. Staff was awesome, patient, nice, and knowledgeable. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Austin B,

Thank you for your review and it is good to see that you had an enjoyable stay.

Please let me know whenever you are back in Shanghai!

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

As soon as you arrive the courteous and helpful front desk staff makes you feel welcome. The rooms are clean and spacious. The hotel is in a very good location close to the Bund. The club lounge is a great place to be; serving cocktails and appetizers every evening and a super made to order breakfast in the morning. But most of all it is the friendliness and the service of the staff that makes it feel like a Home away from home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear A D,

Thank you so much for the comment and I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back in the near future!

Please let me know if you ever plan to visit us again.

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Really don't know where to start from & though i only stayed there for one night, it was one of the horrible experiences ever!!! First, given i am a spg gold member, i wasn't given the room on the spg floor. I had to remind them and it took me some time to explain to them because the girl's English was very poor. After settling my dad in another room, i arrived in my room and started to unpack and started taking some pics. When i went inside the bathroom, i didn't realize the glass door for the shower area had cracks on it and as soon as i finished washing my hands, i heard a huge bang and the entire glass just came on top of me and all over the floor. Frightened with this incident, i called the guest services and explained the issue and asked them to change my room. I got the call back from the guest services after two minutes and rather that asking me whether i am ok or not, he started blaming me that i have broken the glass because i was checked in 30 minutes ago. After couple of minutes of heated conversation, i asked the person to prepare my bill and i am going to checkout right away. I went down at the reception and while talking to check-in person, the manager came and apologized and give me the key of the club room (which by the way wasn't that different). I wrote to Starwood twitter feed and got immediate feedback on the issue. While the issue was resolved and they even sent me a fruit basked, i am just never going to stay in that hotel in the future. Location wise too, there is nothing around the hotel. Avoid at all times!!!

Room Tip: Higher floor have better views..