“Just perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund

Save Saved
You added Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.2 Zhongshan Dong Yi Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200002, China (The Bund)   |
Special Offer
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #3 of 3,734 hotels in Shanghai
Brussels, Belgium
“Just perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed 3 nights for a tourist visit and were extremely pleased with the hotel. The hotel is easily reached by taxi from Hongqiao airport (about 80 RMB). Location on the Bund is perfect for a visit to the Bund, Shanghai square, Pudong and the old Chinese quarter, all within walking distance. The hotel itself is really worth its 5 stars. The lobby area which covers the old and the new hotel is impressive. The guestroom in the modern part with a view on the river was very spacious with 2 very comfortable beds. The bathroom itself had a bath, a separate shower and separate toilet, all with the latest amenities. Breakfast served in the Brasserie is probably one of the best we ever had with a very wide choice of chinese and western dishes, plus dishes on order. Finally the staff really made everything they could to make our stay a pleasure. We would definitely choose again the WA for a next trip to Shanghai.

Room Tip: rooms with a view on the river and Pudong are a must
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We appreciate your high regard of our hotel location, facilities, breakfast as well as service, and thank you for sharing this on Trip Advisor. We look forward to serving you again.

661 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Having read all the positive reviews, my expectation was high on a perfect stay. I arrived at Hongqiao airport on a raining Saturday afternoon. The airport was completely packed. Having stayed in Shanghai for over 4 years, I know the taxi cue will be at least 30 minute wait. Taking the subway (Line 10) will be the best option. The single journey fare costs 4 yuan (USD$ 0.80). The 30 minute ride on Line 10 to Yuyuan Graden station took approximately 40 minutes. Walking to the hotel was fairly easy – 15 minute walk. The subway ride was very pleasant and uneventful. If you are not in a rush and do not want to fight for a taxi and do not have too many luggage, Shanghai subway system is your best bet.

Check-in was swift and welcoming. Warm smiles and welcoming arrival greetings. After being escorted to my room, I was very pleased to see the breath-taking view of the river and the world famous Bun. If this is your rare trip to Shanghai, I highly recommend the river view. As much of the reviews on Tripadvisor, the room was very nice and well appointed. Separate bath and shower. The best part of the room in my opinion is the mattress – incredibly wonderful. The automatic toilet is a plus. The only shopping area is Nang Ging Road about 15 minutes walk. There just not much around the hotel.

As a HHonors Diamond member, the perks are free internet, buffet breakfast, RMB 100 off hotel facility restaurant or bar, 15% off spa treatment. Great turndown service.

After checking in, I started to experience weird if not negative incidents. WIFI does not work in my room. I was told internet was free throughout the hotel but could not connect successfully. I also experienced inconsistent service quality throughout my stay. Some hotel staff was wonderful and will greet you as you walk by; whereas service in the Long Bar was indifferent and surely…good thing they didn’t know about my RMB 100 coupon… Long Bar was completely packed by 9pm on Saturday night. There were a lot of foreigners and the atmosphere was uplifting. Drinks were not cheap. Fresh oysters starts at USD$12 each, imported from France.

Indoor pool was not heated. Adjacent Jacuzzi was heated and offered some relaxation. I was a bit disappointed by the sauna and steam room. Steam was the size of my hotel room’s bathroom. I cannot imagine more than 2 persons within this small room. Sauna was a bit bigger but not by much. The experience was very exclusive and relaxing, however.
Breakfast was fantastic. They offered wide range of hot and cold food, including foie gras omelet. But, I witness one of the cook accidently drop a food serving clasp and he picked it up and rinsed it with water and then reused it again…disgusting. I reported to the manager, she swiftly apologized and said she will deal with this issue.

The hotel agreed to give me late checkout when I checked in. At 2pm after my spa session my key failed to work. I walked to the reception in my robes and requested to have it fixed. I told the receptionist my room number in English, twice. He couldn’t find my reservation. Then I told him in Chinese, twice. He then told me I checked out already. Impatient and telling him he made a mistake, the manager came and found my reservation under my name and issued me a new key. Upon returning to the elevator, the original receptionist ran to me; I thought he was going to apologize for his mistake but to my surprise he gave himself an excuse why he couldn’t find my reservation was because I told him the wrong room number. I waved him off and did not understand why he would go out of his way to tell a guest that he was wrong…weird…
I have to give a big thanks to the hotel for keeping my iPad, which I forgot to take with me. Thank you.

Aside from the little things, this hotel is wonderful but far from high service standards such as Tokyo or Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Booked for 3 nights and extended to 6 as we really loved to newly opened but old-fashioned hotel. They operators have gone to great length to create a top address in Shanghai, not only when it comes to the actual top location on The Bund. There still are a great number of Western staff overlooking the operations and micro-managing the implementations of Western luxury procedures and helping to sort out language issues. Stayed at one of the rooms in the new part of the hotel. Very plush and luxurious, cosy and warm - just what you want in a bustling city such as Shanghai. Wonderful bed. Good internet access - for China where they for now still filter and censor the Internet thus making it slow and cumbersome. The fully automated japanese toilet is fantastic - opens by itself as soon as you come into the bathroom. So are the shower and the fantastic opaque glass between the bathroom and the bedroom - find out for yourself! Absolutely fabulous is the breakfast, both its setting and the available food selection. Not quite to the top notch standard of the place is the rather smallish pool. Anyway, most likely the best place to stay in Shanghai. The competing Hyatts on the Pudong side are sure nice but their location is where you want to visit for sight seeing but not where you want to stay and the Ritz-Carlton nearby can not compete.

Room Tip: Try and get a river view room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel location, room facilities as well as breakfast selection. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have always considered Waldorf Astoria Shanghai to be one of the best new hotels that I have stayed in the recent years. I have stayed at the hotel in October 2011 and have just finished a return stay during the Easter holiday.

During my recent stay, I have booked 2 rooms as I was traveling with my family. Initially, we have booked the entry level Deluxe Room, and the hotel was nice enough that they have upgraded us to 2 Deluxe Bund View Rooms that were interconnecting. That made it perfect especially when I was traveling with 3 other family members.

I found the interior of the hotel to be maintained quite well as compared to my stay 2 years ago. I really like the interior design of the hotel- the color scheme and the layout of the room and hotel lobby were exceptional. I must say that the interior designer Hirsch Bedner Associates must have put a lot of efforts when designing for this hotel.

The 2 rooms that we were given were very spacious. The room with 1 king bed was equipped with a sofa near the window, while the room with 2 double beds was equipped with an armchair. I also like the shower gel and shampoo used by the hotel- it's Salvatore Ferragamo Tuscan Soul.

Breakfast was included in our room rate and it was served at the Grand Brasserie restaurant. The variety of food served at the breakfast buffet was much better than what was served when I stayed at the St. Regis Bangkok in January. I really feel like management of the St. Regis Bangkok should learn from Waldorf Astoria Shanghai of how to run a luxury hotel well.

During our stay at the Waldorf, concierge Leo has assisted us in making lots of restaurant reservations and he has been very helpful. Director of Rooms Elly was also very helpful in ensuring that our family received 2 interconnected rooms.

As with all the hotels, there must be certain areas that need to be improved. For this hotel, we found 2 small areas that should be improved.
1. We understand that the hotel considered it to be very important to check in hotel guests efficiently. However, receptionists should also be sensitive in making sure that guests were given chances to raise questions about their stay and about Shanghai during the check in process.

When I checked in at the hotel, I was able to get all the formalities done by the receptionists very quickly. However, I would appreciate if the receptionists could give me a chance during the check in process to raise questions about my stay (such as whether the rooms were on high floor or what time the hotel restaurant would close after finished serving breakfast).

2. No one asked me for room number when I walked into the Grand Brasserie for breakfast, and I did not need to sign any sheet of paper (even though breakfast was included in my room rate). I believe the hotel should implement better internal controls so that guests not entitled to breakfast will not be provided with free breakfast in the future.

Overall, my family and I have enjoyed the stay at the hotel, and we will come back to the hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Get a Deluxe Bund View Room if possible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chatsworth, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed here for our 5 nights in Shanghai & could not have been happier! The staff were fabulous, the hotel beautifully restored to Deco perfection, the location ideal & the room perfect. We did have a room facing the Bund which I rate as possibly the best night time view from a room ever! Bottled water (free of charge) & Nespresso makers in the room, an extra large marble bathroom & a flat screen TV with numerous choices in English (as well as choices in Japanese & French & others, in addition to Chinese). The breakfast buffet had fresh fruit, yogurt, terrific breads, etc. All of the staff spoke excellent English (unfortunately my Chinese is non existent) & were extremely helpful & friendly. When we return to Shanghai (which we definitely will!) we will once again stay only there.

Room Tip: Ask for a "Bund facing room".....definitely one of the worlds best nighttime views!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you very much for your great review and we are so pleased that you like our hotel location, room facilities, breakfast as well as our services. We look forward to serving you again.
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund is a hotel that definitely lives up to the Waldorf Astoria brand. It is an immensely beautiful hotel with fantastically appointed, bright, and spacious rooms. If you're fortunate enough to have a room with the Bund view the a look out the windows is a spectacular view of the newer downtown area of Shanghai. One of the more surprising features of the room is the use of technology. A touch-screen next to the bed controls lighting functions, blinds, room service, etc. and is wonderfully intuitive. The bathroom is large and covered from head to toe in granite with a TV incorporated into the mirror and a motion activated, and highly automated, toilet greets you upon your entrance (maybe an odd feature to note, but if you're not used to automated toilets, e.g., an American as I am, this is an interesting feature and light years ahead of a standard bidet).

The staff is exactly was would be expected, professional and efficient. The experience that the Waldorf has crafted is all encompassing and exactly what you need when traveling in a city such as Shanghai.

After traveling throughout Europe, the US, and Asia I can honestly say that I have not stayed at a better hotel anywhere at anytime. A wonderful hotel with the highest recommendations to stay if you're in Shanghai (maybe go visit Shanghai just to stay there if you can).

Room Tip: High floor with a view of the Bund
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We are extremely delighted with your high esteem of our hotel and our service, and thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Shanghai.
Kearny, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This hotel is 5 star in every aspect, luxury like I've never seen before, the rooms are spectacular with gigantic bathrooms, everyone speaks English and the location is perfect, about 10 minute walk to metro.
Worth every penny and cheap compared to other Waldorfs around the world.
For Chinese standards the breakfast is very expensive, about $50 pp, you can get a great dinner for that price in town, but it's a Waldorf.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review. We appreciate your high regard of our hotel location and room facilities and we look forward to serving you again.
Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund

Been to Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund? Share your experiences!