This was our second stay and a combined business/leisure trip for 6 nights. The hotel is located close to Shanghai Railway station, metro line 1 (and a short underground walk to 3/4) and is modern and new.
Last time we stayed in an executive floor room, but this time had decided to book a Deluxe King (great value at about USD90 per night). The check-in was efficient if somewhat cold and we were given an upgrade to a suite. The room was amazing and had two huge windows, electric curtains, marbled bathroom, massive TV, comfy bed and lots of space. Nice toiletries and clean everywhere. The included buffet breakfast was comprehensive most days (see below) and many staff were pleasant with acceptable English.
- some staff in key roles had zero English; for example we asked the concierge to reconfirm flights for us, but he had no idea what we wanted. So we asked for help in the business centre, but the guy there just walked us back to the concierge who had no idea
- we assumed that the upgrade included access to the executive lounge and went up there the first night (the room key allowed us to access the lift to the lounge); on entry we gave our room number and got a paper and my partner was filling a plate with food. The staff member rushed over and said that we did not have this benefit and had to go immediately... Bit embarrassing and not well handled
- on the days I worked, we woke early and breakfast was great; on leisure days we went down at 945am and the buffet was not being replenished; they ran out of bacon, donuts, juice, glasses etc. The buffet closes at 10am - happy we were not paying for breakfast. There was even a European background staff member on duty - so no excuse about Chinese culture. No 4.5* international hotel should run out of basic things like bacon and juice glasses
Overall, we would stay again, but in spite of the upgrade we were not as happy with the hotel as the first stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The GRAND MERCURE SHANGHAI CENTRAL is a brand new designer hotel ideally situated in a convenient city center location: guests can enjoy quick access to People's Square, Nanjing Road &the Bund. The hotel is only 12minutesaway fromboth Yu Garden or Xintiandi by taxi; 25 minutesaway from Shanghai Hongqiao Airport and 40 minutesaway from the Shanghai Pudong International Airport. With guest comfort and well-being as its priority, each of its well-appointed rooms & suites is a haven of comfort featuring full length glass windows;37-42 inch LCD TV screen with full laptop connectivity; internet and WIFI access; the finest in bathroom accessories with rainforest shower as well as luxury Pacific Coast bedding with 400 thread-count linen.At the GRAND MERCURE SHANGHAI CENTRAL Dining at both the Chinese and all day dining restaurants will be a delightful culinary experience, while relaxing at the chic lifestyle lounge-bar could well be a 24-hour indulgence.For leisure and entertainment, a range of facilities located on Level 6 includes a gymnasium and chess room.Keeping fit with the gymnasium's latest equipment will be a joy, as guests take in the panoramic view of the city and the natural light by day, and city lights by night.The Spa beckons with 11therapy rooms. Well known for its special spa treatment menus,pamper yourself and rejuvenate your mind and body with oils, aromatherapy or other beauty treatments.For events, meetings, conferences and weddings, a full complement of versatile meeting and banquet facilities include an elegant Ballroom that can cater up to 350 guests, four meeting rooms. A professional team of experts are on hand to tailor every occasion to the guest's requirements. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, EasyToBook, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Odigeo, ACCOR and Tingo so you can book your GRAND MERCURE SHANGHAI CENTRAL reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Mercure Shanghai Zhongya Hotel Shanghai