“High quality hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Guoman Hotel Shanghai

You added Guoman Hotel Shanghai to your Saves list
Guoman Hotel Shanghai
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Tower Guosheng Center, No.388 Dadu River Road, Putuo District, Shanghai 200062, China (Changfeng Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
25% off Deluxe Room
Ranked #120 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Poole
“High quality hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Guoman chain are more famous for their UK based hotels, this being one of their first moves in Asia. The hotel is very clean, rooms are big, light, airy and very good value for money. Its close to Hongqiao airport (15mins by taxi) so good if your in China and traveling to other locations from the airport. Its not close to the center of town (12km to the bund), an off peak taxi journey would be 25 mins to the center of Shanghai, longer to Pudong....but you can take a taxi to a subway station and move around more quickly and cheaply underground.
I'm not so familiar with this part of Shanghai, but I assume the Guoman believe it must be an up and coming area, which will become very developed in future. I think you are getting close to 5 star service for a very good price, in a hotel thats close to the airport, but a bit further from the center of town. Business travellers probably a good option, tourists depends on your budget and where in town you want to be.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Very good experience at the hotel. The service was very good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Pune
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Stayed in Guoman for four nights,10th to 14th May 2011 wonderful experience, good staff, neat and clean rooms, the best place was the bar. Enjoyed Black Label. Lobby was very attractive. After dinner we used to go out in lawns and enjoyed fresh n cool breeze. If I will visit Shanghai again I will stay in Guoman only. Good old memories.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

It's a fairly new business hotel. The rooms, the restaurant and the bar are nice but the location is terrible.
it's far from practically everywhere..whether it's the exhibition grounds or the downtown area.
We stayed here for a couple of days but then moved to the crowne plaza in pudong.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

I stayed at the Guoman for two weeks in April. The hotel is very nice and CLEAN. If you have stayed in other hotels in Shanghai you know how important clean is.

The room was really nice plasma TV stand alone shower with separate tub. The people at the front desk were super nice and helpful.

The only complaint is the AC in the rooms were not so great.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

I stayed there from 10 -15 Dec, 2010, I booked this hotel because I was attracted by his offer - Guarantee upgrade to an Executive Room. When we checked in, we were escorted to a Room at Executive floor. However, obviously ths is only a standard, or what they so call a duluxe twin. A room without DVD, Plasma in bathroom, coffee maker..etc which they stated those facilities in an Executive Rm. Not even a little sofa and table and a dressing desk which I believe even a standard rm should have. We then went to the Reception and requesting to change to an Executive Rm as confirmed. The lady Ms. Crystal said that this is an Executive rm. She also refused to offer us free internet which we expect this come with the Executive rm.
Finally she only agree to set up the coffee maker and DVD in our room. Of course, did not do so . In fact, there are not a space to put a coffee table at the mini bar. Ms. Crystal all the way wearing an unwarmth welcome since we checked in.

We have signed a credit card of 2500 as a guarantee and was confirmed that they will not debit our account. When we check out, they said that due to the machine break down, they could not cancel the authorization and told us that they will fax the request to the bank. Of course, we insist to settle this before we leave. Finally it takes over 20 mins to do it by a lady manager.

The room is small and not user friendly. Really have to be CAREFUL, being cheated by attract you for the upgrade offer. They have place many adv. for this promotion at the Travel Agency in HK and at many web site.
They offer you 2 teabags everyday at the mini bar - so call a 5 stars hotel.

The most incrediable thing is, after I return from the trip, I sent a e-mail to their management, Mr. Li telling the above, until today, no response . (already over a week time)

It really spoil my Birthday trip!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

This hotel is awful, in every sense of the word.
I am British, and the Guomen Shanghai play on this theme, with two black London taxis parked outside,and signage showing a grenadier guard, and a red london bus.
This hotel is owned, or so I was led to believe, by the same owners as are behind the wonderful Charing Cross Hotel, in Central London.
This hotel gives a poor impression of Britain, if that's what they had hoped for.
British Hospitality is something I am often asked about, when on my travels, and I dearly hope that nobody comes to this hotel expecting to find anything representative of Britain. It would qualify as a modern day, 'Fawlty Towers'. Basil Fawlty would be at home here, and I'm convinced that he is the Training Director, as some of the staff are downright weird, and occasionally rude.
Anyhow, back to my review. It's a long drive from Pudong Airport, but convenient for Shanghai's Hongqiao Airport, my next destination. As with most hotels in Shanghai, they are economical with the truth, they say 'it will cost 150 RMB by taxi' and it ends up being well over 200 RMB.
When we pulled up the taxi driver pointed and asked 'Hotel...?' In a very puzzled manner, and yes I speak some Chinese, so I know that his expression was one of puzzlement, and not a statement. He seemed reluctant to drive in off the main road, but did so anyhow. I should have taken this as a warning, that the gods would not allow this to be a pleasurable stay.
I got out of the taxi, and despite the lobby being quiet, nobody offered to help with my bags, and two security guards standing chatting by a door, just looked on. I had a very heavy bag, and managed to damage my coat, struggling with my luggage into the lobby, which is embarrassing, as my next stop is Qingdao, where a coat is required at this time of year, and I have new suppliers to meet.
Check-in was fine, and although there was no warmth to the welcome, it was speedy, which is seldom the case in China.
I did get a strange sense that I was going to be given a ropey room (1319 in case anyone is interested), when the lady said 'pre-paid by agent', as if this entitles the guest to automatic relegation to the worst room on offer.
I was annoyed when checking in, that there were suddenly plenty of people available to help me with bags, and so I refused help, although I was shown to the lift.
My room was small and sparse, and it did not look like it was only 3 months old. It had a kettle, but no cups, no coffee, no cream. The mini-bar was locked, and yet the reception took a 500 RMB deposit against my credit card- I'm still wondering why they needed a deposit.
What shocked me though, was the fact that there was no razor, toothbrush, amenities kit, and above all else, no sewing kit (which might have helped repair my coat) etc..........it was as if they were expecting me to clear out the room. I was so suspicious of all this, I then checked the bed to see if I had been given a dirty room by mistake.
The shower did have shampoo, shower gel and conditioner, and a cellophane wrapped bar of soap was by the sink. No it wasn't glued down..!
Two bathrobes were in the wardrobe, but I forgot to check whether they were chained to the wall. I wish I had now, as I'm sure they probably were.
I decided that being a little tired, I would retire rather than risk the restaurants, as my patience was wearing thin, and I wasn't prepared to be asked where my chopsticks, knife and fork were.
I set the bedside alarm provided by the hotel, and went to bed.
In the morning, after what was essentially a good sleep, interrupted only by drunken guests arriving back to their rooms between 2am and 3am, I woke with a shock- the alarm was set for 6.30am, and I woke at 8.10am, as the alarm didn't work. I tested it again, and it did not function properly.
Breakfast was the most bizarre experience of my life. I entered the dining room, and a lady demands, 'Room Number...?' I state 'Good Morning Miss, My room number is 1319'. She then says 'Okay', and waves me in, as if I'm a plane heading for it's stand at an airport.
There were plenty of empty tables, but they were all piled high with dishes, and I couldn't see any other staff.
You have never seen a tip like it. If someone had told me that the breakfast staff had quit mid-service, I'd have believed them.
So, I decided to get some food, and then find a table.
The food is nowhere near that to be expected of a 5 Star hotel, it's basic Chinese breakfast fodder- My wife is Chinese, and this is not a slur on Chinese cuisine, but a simple statement of fact. More what you'd expect of a 3 Star hotel elsewhere in China.
They should send their food and beverages manager to the Westin, Intercontinental Pudong or Shangri-La for an education, as those places offer food suited to their 5 Star billing.
There were still no staff to be seen anywhere. I decided that it would be in my interests to find a table, and then someone who would clear it. I chose the table nearest the kitchen.
A waiter came along, as if by magic, and he said 'I clear this table', I responded and said 'Good, I would like to sit here, as there is not one table ready for occupation in this whole restaurant'. He probably didn't mean anything, but he said, 'wait five minutes'. So, I stood like an idiot holding my plate, while he cleared the table. As I watched the carnival going on with plate in hand, a Chinese guest sneezed and spat phlegm out onto the floor- lovely. I nearly threw up, and had my stomach not been empty, I guarantee that would have been the case.
Other guests were busy helping themselves to coffee, as there was still nobody around.
Suddenly the restaurant seemed to clear, and of course, staff who must have been on their tea-break (this being a British institution) suddenly reappeared- at least seven of them. Or perhaps this being 'Fawlty Towers', they change shifts at 8.30am.....halfway through breakfast service.
After 40 minutes, I was finally asked if I wanted coffee, and I graciously accepted, and afterward, I retired to my room in preparation for departure.
At checkout, I wasn't so much as asked, 'how was your stay sir'. In fact the only word my receptionist said was 'credit card'. No please, thank you or goodbye. I laughed to myself, because there was also no offer of assistance with my luggage.
I won't ever stay at this hotel again. I spend 50+ nights a year in Chinese hotels, I tried the Guomen Shanghai for a change, and I now wish that I'd never bothered.
Perhaps it's an omen, that the sun has truly set over all things British, and that we're no longer able to compete on any front.
Was there a positive, well I never bumped into Manuel......., but I wouldn't risk a second visit on those grounds alone.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to Guoman Hotel Shanghai? Share your experiences!