This is a very difficult review because there were definite good things about the Magnolia and a few poor things as well.
The good is the location, which is in the French Concession and is a great neighborhood for a smaller, more intimate feel with some fine restaurants very close by. They serve a good breakfast, western style, and have a nespresso type coffee machine, which we appreciated. The rooms are quite small but ok. The bathroom is nice but the walls do not go to the ceiling so you can hear whatever is going on. They supply wonderful fluffy towels which is rare. You do climb stairs to get to any of the rooms but it isn't that difficult. The road outside does get quite noisy especially on the weekend. They do supply earplugs, which you need..
There was a major problem over the weekend because there was nobody there who could help or speak English and that left us in a fix as it is necessary to have someone write some key things in Chinese or explain something.
Once someone was there on Monday, things got on track but to ask us to call or email any questions while we were there, was a surprise and is not so easy as not everything can best be discussed that way.
Given the pros and cons, I thought the price was well over fair value.
- Also Known As:
- Magnolia Bed & Breakfast Shanghai Hotel
- Magnolia Bed And Breakfast Shanghai
- Magnolia Bed & Breakfast Shanghai Hotel Shanghai
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the historic French Concession in a 1930’s structure on a small street, Magnolia Bed & Breakfast offers its guests a view into that famous era. Building and design elements from the Shanghai Art Deco period have been renovated and refurbished with an eye towards contemporary comfort. All the 5 rooms are individually designed to provide guests with everything you need for a pleasant stay. ... more less