“Brilliant location at Century Park, and very good value too!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dorsett Shanghai

You added Dorsett Shanghai to your Saves list
Dorsett Shanghai
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.800 Huamu Raod, Pudong New District, Shanghai 201204, China (Formerly Yue Shanghai Hotel) (Shanghai New International Expo Center)   |
Ranked #115 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai
Auckland
“Brilliant location at Century Park, and very good value too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Recently have stayed three nights at Yue Shanghai Hotel, and it is fantastic !! 600RMB per night, Park view room on 6th floor. Room was very spacious, modern, and the quietest of the 5 Hotels I have previously stayed in at Shanghai. Lobby entrance from Exit 4 of Century Park Metro station, on Line 2. This is the line from Pudong Airport that goes right through to Hongqiao Airport/Railway station, takes 1 3/4 hours and costs 8 RMB in case you want to connect between airports (I did).

Breakfasts I went next door to La Paleta bakery/cafe, and its very nice, much cheaper than Hotel Breakfast, and even the wifi signal from Hotel Lobby is available in bakery!!! Bonus!!

The 711 type store is also easy to walk to, and very good value obviously for food/drink supplies.

Hotel staff were very friendly, spoke excellent English, and very obliging. Bed was extremely comfortable, and I can't fault the rooms facilities, overall EXCELLENT!

Next trip to Shanghai I will definetely be re-booking at Yue Shanghai. Cheers

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Doris H, General Manager at Dorsett Shanghai, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
We are delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay at Yue Shanghai Hotel. Our Deluxe Park View Room is the most propular room type with a panoramic view of the famed Century Park, it was our pleasure to free upgrade your recent stay from Deluxe City View Room. We welcome travelers to Yue Shanghai Hotel, exclusively from "Boutique Series by Kosmopolito", this winter Yue Shanghai Hotel is launching a 3-night stay Deluxe Park View Room promotion at RMB 550 + 15% per night (valid from Dec 15, 2011 to Feb 29, 2012); New Year Room Package at RMB 680 + 15% per night including buffet breakfast for two persons; one day pass metro tickets for two persons per stay, free boardband internet access and free upgrade to Deluxe Park View Room, min. of two nights stay (valid from Dec 16, 2011 to Jan 31, 2012).
Recreational sites such as Oriental Pearl Tower, Sicence Technology Museum, Oriental Art Performance Centre, Shanghai Tourist Tunnel and Pudong Aqurium are accessible through metro line 2 or short taxi ride.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

The hotel room was too hot. I was sweating as hell. Hotel staff refused to turn on the central air conditioning. I was asked to open the window to cool the room, but window was locked. In order to open the window, hotel staff wanted me to sign a liability waiver form to waive hotel from any accidents related to the opening of the window. The bath room is extremely not user friendly. very difficult to take shower. water spills everywhere and floor could become very slippery.

I paid 125 dollars per night for this hotel. It is completely not worth the price. I am a frequent business traveller. Stayed in lots of hotels, but this one is the worst beyond my imagination. Don't even try this hotel. Totally not recommended.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Doris H, General Manager at Dorsett Shanghai, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
We thank you for sharing your hotel stay experience, we are sorry for what had occurred to your comfort of stay. The weather temperature is not promising and fluctuate in mid November when entering winter season in Shanghai, the hotel turns on heating system at night and day time switch to fresh air (15C – 20C, depends on outdoor temperature).
Guestroom individual control system “Carrier” is on the modes of air-con / fresh air / heating, once central heating turns on, air-con mode will suspend, heating supply regardless set on air-con mode or heating mode; the quickest way to get the room temperature down is open the window, allow fresh air to cool down the room. This is a government & insurance policy which the hotel has to adhere and guests are require to sign an authorization form for window open due to the window open space is wider than the restricted space.
The overhead rain shower above the bathtub design provides an extra comfort when bathing, shower curtain must be used to avoid water spills when rain shower or handheld shower turn on, as well as tower mat is available in the bathroom.
We look forward to welcome you back to our hotel as our guests chose to stay with us for our sincere staff service, convenience location with metro line 2 station right next to the hotel, great hotel environment opposite the beautiful famed Century Park.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stayed here on the recommendation of a friend. It is a nice modern hotel located on top of the subway station Central Park. The staff was very friendly. I would definitely stay there again if I return to Shanghai.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Manchester, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Wow, what a stunning well appointed room !
Spacious, fabulous large comfy bed, great bathroom with 3 different showers. A balcony that overlooks the city and Century Park. Ther lobby bar looked great-but was closed for the entire week, due to the Chinese national holiday ( surely a good reason for the hotel bar to be open?)
Located a few steps from Century Park Metro Line 2. Line 2 took me 45 minutes from Pudaong airport. It is some distance from the main tourist sites of The Bund, but if you are happy with Century Park area-then this is the hotel for you. All the staff were friendly & spoke good English.
As others say, the bakery next door serves really good light meals and there is also a convenience store next to that.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Firstly the good: the place is located right above the metro (5 stops to Nanjing Rd) and just one stop from the MAGLEV train (but remember the Maglev stops early, like 9, so don't be caught like me). If you are visiting the Expo centre, doing business in Pudong or just visiting Shanghai you can't find a better location. The concierge service was exceptionally helpful.

The bad: the lifts are an 'all stops' affair, so staying on the 20th floor, it took an age to get down. The breakfast could be better, it's not bad, but it's overcrowded and disorganized and the quality of western food is less than average. The place is hot and the common areas were not properly air conditioned which is only a minor irritant, but it meant that after my 20 or so stop lift trip, I arrived at the lobby soaked and steaming which is never much fun.

Now for the very very ugly: I arrived late in the evening to be told my agent had cancelled my booking. All that was left was a suite and I'd have to pay for it if they couldn't find my original booking. I decided to smile and say yes knowing my agent wouldn't have done so. I got on the email to the wonderful Robyn at Holiday World Brighton and she was onto the booking place first thing. It took a while, but with Robyn's help all was sorted and I got tinder I the suite at no extra cost (the word suite is used in a very liberal sense though).

I would have put this down to bad luck and just one of those things one occasionally experiences in travel EXCEPT that every time (and I mean that literally) I was at reception, another guest was arguing with the front desk about some problem or another. So, caveat emptor!

• Stayed September 2011
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

We came to this hotel when there were problems with another hotel and are we ever glad we did! The hotel staff are the best part. They are gracious, very helpful, and most speak excellent English, our native tongue. Housekeeping does a great job too.

Our rate came with breakfast and it offered a good selection of Chinese and Western breakfast items. And the French bread is actually great! First time we've seen that in China. The dumplings were particularly tasty. The Western breakfast includes a cold cut platter, do-it-yourself toast, pancakes, waffles, and French toast (tiny and not the best - but hey, this is China so it's great that they have them), bacon/sausages, yogurt, and cereals.

The Century Mart across the street offers an amazing array of both dry goods and fresh food, along with, on the 3rd floor, camping equipment, TVs, books, clothes, etc. Even if you don't buy, you will find some wonderful photos (esp. for those of you who "collect" grocery stores from around the world). We are here for 3 weeks, and I know we'll be back often. This weekend is the Mid-Autumn Festival, so they have an exploding array of gifts, especially mooncakes, for the Festival. There is nothing touristy or exclusive about this store - which makes it the best kind of place to go for us. There's also a smaller (less overwhelming) grocery (walk down the street away from the park, and turn right at the lights) and a convenience store next door.

As another reviewer pointed out, there aren't a ton of restaurants in walking distance - just a bakery, and, at the end of the street, a small noodle shop and a duck shop which we haven't had a chance to try (yet).

As for the rooms, they are large, nicely appointed, and comfortable. I've had some writing to do during the trip, and I've been perfectly happy staying in the room all day (not something I can do most places!) There's also a lobby where you can sit and be in the presence of others. The bathroom is very nice if a bit compact (perhaps I'm saying this because the "other" hotel had a huge bathroom), and the shower includes both a rainshower head and a hand-held, plus a retractable drying line for those who carry little and wash often (e.g., us). The safe is actually big enough for a 15" laptop, something we often don't see. And it's quiet <bliss>

On the less-than-plus side, as someone else pointed out, it was built quickly and not to the highest standard (like most newer buildings in China), and it's showing signs of age, esp. in the bathroom where a poorly designed shower/tub space ends up sending lots of water over the edge and onto the wooden door frame and floor (put your slippers under the sink to keep them out of harm's way) and tiles are starting to pop off the wall. Still, at least for the near future, it still looks mostly nice.

Others have mentioned the wonderful (HUGE) park across the street and the fact that you don't even have to walk outside to catch the No. 2 line.

Net: I would highly recommend this hotel for business travelers and for tourists who like to be in quieter areas.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband was traveling on a business trip (12 days) and I accompanied him.

Pros

Clean - housekeeping does a great job.

Room size – rooms are a nice size (even the basic rooms), bathroom was great, good water pressure.

Location - (right above the number 2 MRT line), plenty of taxis and 5 minutes taxi ride from Thumb plaza. Grocery store across the road, convenience store next door. The very beautiful Century Park across the road!

Laundry service- very fast (6 hour turn around) maybe a bit over priced but very good.

Air-con was very good, cooled the room in < 5 minutes.

Bed and pillows were very comfortable especially by Chinese standards.

Cons

Noise- seemed to be room/hallway repairs every day, walls are very thin so you can hear drills and banging from 6-8 rooms away or the floors below and above. If you are here for business and leaving during the day it’s no problem.

Desk Staff- We arrived with a club room booking (booked directly through their website) and when we arrived we were told no club rooms available and the club lounge was closed and wifi was unavailable. After 10 minutes going back and forth we were given a different smaller room for two nights at a cut rate (from memory about 650RMB plus 15% tax). The second night we were begrudgingly moved to a larger room with a park view on the 15th floor, they did not want to honour the rate we had booked so that took another 20 minutes of “discussion”.

Internet – no wifi at the time we stayed, plug in cable so only one person can use the internet a at a time.

Neutral Comments

Breakfast buffet - just ok nothing special.

Gym area - nice enough, bit small. It is on the ground floor and surrounded by glass windows so not exactly a private area to workout. Didn't really bother us though.

All in all if it wasn't for the location (a couple of minutes cab ride to my husbands office) we would have left because of the noise and stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: City View = view over some older apartments.