“What a lovely surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund

Save Saved
You added Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.585 Zhongshan East Second Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200010, China (The Bund)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 3,841 hotels in Shanghai
Singapore, Singapore
“What a lovely surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Having stayed in Shanghai many times, this was my first time at the Hotel Indigo - and I have vowed to only stay there again on future visits to Shanghai. The room was great - my pet peeves of number of power points, an iron and ironing board, and enough light to be able to see were all addressed with flying colours. The breakfast was awesome. The staff super efficient and friendly. The top floor bar was quirky and fun with a great view, and again some first rate service by smart and attentive staff. A top hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Shanghai_Indigo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Stewart_singas-

Thank you for taking the time to share with us you recent experience here with us at the hotel Indigo. It is always a pleasure to read that we were able to meet the expectations of our guests and that in fact you will be looking forward to returning to us when next in Shanghai.

Do let me know personally when we will have the pleasure of having you back with us so that I might meet you personally and again ensure that you have another fantastic stay.

With warm regards

Christoph

829 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I spent 4 nights at the Indigo last week (Jan 2014) - this was a business trip and the visit included use of the hotel's excellent meetings facility.
I probably do 40-50 hotel nights a year on business and I can honestly say that I wish all hotels were to the standard of the Indigo. It has everything you might need for a great business trip but also has a genuine personality to make it interesting. This is not a bland business hotel but a cool spot to stay for business or pleasure - with all the elements you need.

I liked the location - south of the main Bund but a mere 20 minute work (or 10 min jog) from the heart of the Bund. The views from the Indigo must be some of the best in this rapidly growing city - the view over Pudong (and it's new skyscrapers) was inspiring. The fact the hotel is on the river and not overwhelmed by other properties gave it a brightness and airiness.

Service was excellent - yes some of the waiting staff are learning the trade as they go, but the presence of expert expats in the breakfast room made for a tasty and efficient meal. The greeting at check in was also smooth. I was upgraded to a very large 12th floor room with fantastic views over the Huangpu river - with two large queen sized beds rather than a single king.

Food was good - I had breakfast every day plus a lunch and tea during my stay. All taken in the 6th floor guest lounge with river views and very quirky pods for hire. The bar on the 30th floor is a great addition also - with spectacular views over the city and a great cocktail list. Not cheap but worth it for the views.

My bedroom was extremely comfortable - as I said this was an upgrade but all my colleagues said the same. There was nothing in this room that would inhibit a great nights sleep: pitch black with the curtains closed, comfortable bed, relatively quiet (you can hear some ships on the river), and no noise from adjacent rooms. The bathroom was a thing to behold - huge wet-room walk in shower, large basin area and one of those crazy Japanese toilets with jets of water should you wish! Wifi in rooms and around the hotel was strong and free.

The business facilities are excellent and i would highly recommend the Indigo for business meetings/conferences. The 7th floor houses the dedicated meetings area. We used Huangpu 1 - a room that will fit 14 or so. We had good technical support (although nothing went wrong) and excellent beverages in the cafe area which is good for breakouts.

Lastly the fitness facilities were also 1st class. A scent sized gym with 4 treadmills over looking the river, plus other cross training machine and free weights. Plus a c.15 metre pool overlooking the city. Totally deserted when I used it.

All in all I commend the management for design and running of a great hotel and I would certainly return for future business trips.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river have a great view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We spent 5 nights at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund in October 2013. It felt wonderful from the warm and friendly welcome we received on arrival right through to the end of our late check-out departure. The whole place felt very relaxed and calm. We liked the location of the hotel and walked everywhere along the Bund as well as to ferries and trains which we used extensively.
Our room was a Premium Bund view room and that is an UNDERSTATEMENT! Should be called Sensational, Outstanding etc as the view was incredible. The window jutted out so you could stand and look along the entire length of the Bund whilst the view of the river and Pudong was equally fantastic... the best city view we have had in all our travels. It was entertaining to watch the plethora of boats that traversed the river constantly as well as the dazzling lights at night.
The room itself was comfortable, stylishly decorated and well equipped and the bathroom facilities were incredible! The wet-room with shower and that deep, freestanding bath also had views to-die-for. After a long days' sightseeing that tub was a welcome spot for a bubbly soak! We had cocktails at the rooftop bar on two occasions but decided our room was equally engaging so had drinks in our room with the view to ourselves. We had breakfast daily at the hotel restaurant as well as dinner one evening and were very happy with the choice, quality and service. We also fell in love with the massage chairs nearby!
On our first day we encountered a fellow Australian, Julie, who is in a managerial role at the hotel. She was very warm, friendly and engaging and helped to make our stay even more enjoyable. The other staff also helped us with taxis and directions.
All-in-all a wonderful experience!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hermosa Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Indigo Hotel from January 9th-11th, while on a 3 week trip in Asia. Very hip hotel, loved the decor, great service that rivals any big hotel. It was our anniversary and the manager had sent a special handwritten card and secured a fantastic room for us, with a great view of Pudong and the Bund. Very attentive staff that helped us with everything from shopping (one staff member took the time to write everything in English and Chinese as taxi drivers speak very little English) to dinner reservations at the best restaurants. Ate dinner in the restaurant one night (CHAR) - very expensive but so are all fine restaurants in Shanghai. I was less that thrilled with my meal and the staff noticed immediately and removed from our bill. Very hard to find any fault with anything, but if we had one complaint, it would be the prices of the restaurant CHAR.
All and all, one of our favorite hotels of our trip. We would stay there again and highly recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Taipei, Taiwan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

After by reading thousands of reviews on TA, we decided to give a try in Dec but I can tell you my experience is full of disappointments.
First I would suggest them to take off "on the bund" on the name as it's not truly located on the bund, I might cost you 45 minutes by walk to the real part of the bund. In the evening, no one helps you to find a cab, someone sat on the couch and busy with his phone.
Check in was quite fast, manager is helpful for guiding me to a Chinese spicy food restaurant. Room decoration confuses me - they could be working hardly by trying different elements in the room but to me the shanghai lanterns were unmatched the style. Not sure the air con was working as it was freezing in the room.
Breakfast compares to the other hotels on the bund, there're plenty ways to be improved.
- No baby seat available eve the place was half-full
- asking for chopsticks, was told theyre being washed, no one realizes to bring to my table later, I have to get myself.
- what I do really hate, the expats are treated better than Asian guest, the supervisor greets with every white face, I did not notice if anybody else likes me was checked.
- Wait staffs running around and unknowledgeable, do not know whether they serve hot food until I had to ask. One female staff presents a good smile but doesn't know how should bring us a fried egg cooked "over easy"
all in all, good training was not properly done and lack of supervision. Even the room service in the evening was totally under controlled, dishes are overlooked and chewy.
I gave two stars because something at least quite exceptional that you can choose the pillow to make your sleep comfortable. Unless all issues would have to be solved, i won't choose and recommend this hotel just for the pillows.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Shanghai_Indigo, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Ibizar-

Having carefully ready your recent comments on TripAdvisor allow me to begin by apologizing on behalf of the entire hotel Indigo team for clearly not meeting your expectations during your recent stay in December.

I see that you are registered to an account in Taipei but would hope that perhaps you live here in Shanghai or have an upcoming occasion to visit the city again so that I might be able to welcome you back the hotel Indigo and demonstrate that in fact your experience, all be it, disappointing for you is in fact not indicative of either our service levels or attention to detail. In fact, as you had mentioned, not only do we strive to exceed the expectations of our guests but are time and time again sited here for doing just that.

I was also saddened to learn that you felt that our staff were more attentive to the western guests throughout the hotel and left you wanting. I certainly agree there should have been no issue to provide you with a baby chair, chop sticks or correct room service order but can assure you that these breakdowns in service were just that and that the entire staff here at hotel Indigo treasure each of our guests equally regardless of where they might be from.

Honestly, I do hope to have the occasion to welcome you back to the hotel and personally make sure that your impression of the hotel is transformed from one of clear disdain to one that recognizes we sincerely apologize for the poor experience you had to endure and that in fact we have well earned the countless positive comments concerning the staff, location, decor, food and service.

With warm regards

Christoph
whiskers13
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed here for two nights in December. We were upgraded to a better view room, which was great.
The rooms are fresh and funky but still have that old school Shanghai style. The views from the bar were amazing also. The only disappointment was Char restaurant. The veggie options were few and far between. Staff were very nice and helpful and I would defo stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Where do I start? What a fantastic hotel, rooms were funky and fun. Bed was awesome! Gym and pool were excellent and the rooftop bar was amazing. Breakfast was the best in have ever had of any hotel. This hotel suits younger travelers and the decor is def fresher and more funky than for instance Le suites oriente (my parents stayed there) highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014

Been to Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund? Share your experiences!