“Excellent retreat from the chaos that is Shanghai” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pei Mansion Hotel

You added Pei Mansion Hotel to your Saves list
Pei Mansion Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.170 Nanyang Road, Jing'an District, Shanghai 200040, China (Jing'an Temple)   |
Ranked #149 of 3,977 Hotels in Shanghai
Walnut Creek, California
“Excellent retreat from the chaos that is Shanghai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Small hotel with alot of history. It is set back from the street so very quiet and well located for tourists and business folks alike. Rooms had that "old Shanghai" feeling. Staff was very accomodating and welcoming. Once we had asked for a dim sum place to eat, they not only told us but had the porter physically walk us to the place. If you want peace and quiet from a hectic day, this is highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Pei Mansion Hotel is centrally located, about half-way between international airport (PVG) and domestic airport (SHA), the latter now with an adjacent new high speed rail station. We booked it because we do not like hotels in high-rise buildings with over 100 rooms. Our five nights at Pei Mansion were among the best experience we had on this trip. Hotel staff members are all friendly and helpful, especially Kelly Shan, who took care of delivery of my online orders to the hotel. Grand Deluxe King room is extra spacious and bathroom has jacuzzi featured bathtub. This is one hotel we would definitely book again for our next trip. Finally we should mention that this hotel is a historic building (see photo).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

From the personalized warm welcome to the smooth departure, this hotel experience was a total dream. A luxury boutique hotel, the rooms are beautifully decorated in the art deco style. The bathrooms are large and luxurious with enormous stall showers and jacuzzis. I would say that the best part of the experience was the warm and friendly staff. The minute I got out of my taxi, I was personally greeted by Martin, the director. He was extremely helpful in orienting me to my room and arranged a personalized tour of the city, complete with a spectacular lunch at a Cantonese restaurant in a five star hotel. Other staff members were friendly and helpful and spoke perfect English. What more can I say? The hotel is located in a very interesting area full of spectacular shopping centers and great restaurants. The garden of the hotel is an important sight in itself. My only complaint is that I didn't stay long enough!

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

I have mixed feeling about this place--their focus is probably more on their private dining restaurant than on the hotel. There are limited hotel facilities and they serve breakfast in the (small) rooms. We did negotiate to have breakfasts in a meeting room that overlooked the garden, but had no service during the meal. It is probably best a charmer retreat for a couple--not for business if services are needed.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

What a rare find. My brother in law is a Chinese national living in Beijing. He recommended this hotel having stayed on business. It opened in April 2010 having been extensively and lovingly restored to its former glory. It is a protected monument originally belonging to a very famous Chinese family. The first owner, the grandfather of the World famous Architect Pei, was a former Governor of the Bank of China.
The house is filled with beautiul furniture and our room was simply one of the best I have experienced. This is not a hotel with amenities such as swimming pools, public areas etc....its more like staying in a family mansion. our bathroom was larger than most hotel rooms and had a double jacuzzi, double width shower and the worlds most amazing toilet. Once we worked how to use the japanese style toilet we could not stop talking about it...they are fantastic...you will be astonished !!
You would have to pay double for this luxury in Europe....and trust me Shanghai is far from cheap!!!
TIP: You must vist the terrace bar...New Heights Floor 7 at No 3 The Bund at night....one beer with that view will convince you that the Chinese will become the biggest economy in the world.

Stay here if you are visiting Shanghai !!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I was on a rather stressful business trip in (a very crowded) Shanghai for three days and wanted to have a place to disconnect when getting out from my meetings. At the Pei Mansion, I felt good like at home, because it's only the size of big house, and at the same time, I felt I was in a very special place. The mansion is just absolutely gorgeous inside. I don't know if everything is original there, but you feel like back in the beginning of the 20's century, with this very cozy atmosphere and an extremely rich design, a mix of European and Chinese arts of the finniest taste (at least, I myself loved it!). I liked that they try to personalize every single side of the house. These tiny details make the difference with the standardized hotel chains I use to stay at.
The service was ok, nothing to complain about, but I did not really solicit them a lot so I can't judge that much of their efficiency.
I did not try the restaurants, but the offer seemed quite mouthwatering. However, you'll find plenty of good restaurants in the area. Some international and some local ones.
In one word, I would say that this hotel has character, and that's the main reason why you'll want to stay there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

We spent five days in Shanghai and went all over the city. We felt very blessed to come back to the Pei Mansion in the end of each day.
This is really a hidden gem just in a back lane of Nanjing rd and with a lush garden – great to relax. Good neighborhood right next to Plaza 66 and very convenient to reach everything. This mansion dates back to the 1930’s and one of the staff gave us a great tour around the house and original owner who had been in the banking business and his grandson IM Pei, the architect you had been involved with the Louvre Pyramid. We just loved it.
Restaurant wise, the hotel has an excellent Chinese restaurant, but there are a lot of choices in Jing’an all around within walking distance. Compared to the large hotels on Nanjing rd, this hotel is very peaceful and so close by. Our room, had a nice setting with a large living area with working desk, artificial fireplace, fluffy carpet, a bathroom with a double Jacuzzi and massage shower. But the best part were the large French curved windows and glass door that opened out to the huge balcony overlooking their garden and the city skyline. The room was very clean and comfortable in old Shanghai style (so French with Chinese influence) with free internet, daily newspaper, a bowl of fruit (that was filled each day), comfortable beds and free water bottles. Also included was a nice in room breakfast prepared by their gourmet restaurant, there is a large choice of either Chinese or Western choices.
Recreational wise, they don’t have a pool, but they are working with a gym together, which is within walking distance. The staff was great, little details make a big difference. Most also spoke English, so communication was not an issue. If you are looking for a unique place in Shanghai that’s the place, luckily not many have discovered it yet!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Pei Mansion Hotel? Share your experiences!