“Great hotel and location.” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Grand Central Hotel Shanghai to your Saves list
Hotels.com Agoda.com
Grand Central Hotel Shanghai
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.505 Jiujiang Road, Shanghai 200001, China (People's Square)   |
Ranked #15 of 3,560 hotels in Shanghai
“Great hotel and location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The hotel is very conveniently located, both in terms of access to subway and shopping. The room was very nice and quite spacious. The lobby was nice too, but had a bit of an outdated feel to it. But nice and clean none the less. The staff was able to speak some English which is helpful and rare in china. I found the growing sex trade annoying though, literally outside the hotel doors people were offering a range of sexual services which I had no interest in. On the streets of shanghai, every 10 metre or so, you will be approached by someone trying to sell fake watches, bags or "sexy massage". This is out of the control of the hotel, obviously, but when this occurs on the hotel grounds,is not very pleasant and hence my review is only 4 instead of 5 stars. When I mentioned it to the hotel, no one could apparently speak English, a card they seem to play when a sensitive question/ complaint is raised (e.g. Is Facebook working?).

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
grandcentralhotelsha, Public Relations Manager at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay and for your wonderful comments on our hotel location, as well as our staff. We’re very sorry that you encountered the sex trade outside the hotel doors. We have reported this case to our hotel management. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve our service, and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Shanghai.

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
kuala lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel is located on Jiujang Road which is just next to the famous and very busy Nanjing Road. The Bund is just a nice 10 minute walk away.

We booked several rooms through Agoda. What we paid for, although competitively priced, was the bare basics with no breakfast. We were informed that the rooms had twin beds. To get King-sized beds, we needed to upgrade to the Executive Room. Thought that was strange and a bit annoying. Anyhow, some of us decided to pay an extra RMB400 for that upgrade which includes breakfast and the use of executive lounge on 6th floor. Note: We later realised that each of the twin single beds was actually spacious itself – close to queen sized.

Breakfast was very average at best and choices were not near to what you could get at other 5 star hotels. You get to choose whether to have your breakfast at the lobby area or at the Executive Lounge (if you book the Executive Room), which is more quiet, private and exclusive. At the Executive Lounge, there’re free flow of beers and other alcoholic beverages together with light snacks and coffee throughout the day.

The furnishing here is classic with some modern American influence. It attempts to exert a feeling of plush and lavishness but it does feel a little bit dated. However, the room (and bathroom) is very spacious indeed. The comfort of the mattress and pillow is above average. Wireless internet is available (a router is provided). There’s a good selection of English TV channels (CNN, CNBC, HBO etc) but some of the channels have poor sound quality.

Not all the staff can converse well in English. But the concierge (James) spoke very well in English and was helpful. We purchased inter-city train tickets and were charged an additional RMB40 per ticket. It’s worth paying for the service especially if you want to get the tickets a few days prior to your scheduled departure (to ensure the tickets don’t run out on the travel day itself) and to also avoid having to travel all the way to Hongqiao train station to get the tickets, which is a 30-45 minute car ride away. You would also need to produce your passport when purchasing the tickets.

This hotel does perform admirably and the rates you pay is certainly competitive and really good value for money especially for its good location (that's if you intend to stay in the Puxi part of Shanghai).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
grandcentralhotelsha, Public Relations Manager at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the HJ plaza. On Jiujiang road in shanghai from the 18th of Aug to the 21st (today). We are a party of nine with 4 adults and 5 children who range from 7-17 years in age. We have three rooms.
The hotel is located in a very convenient and central location. It's a block away from Nanjing road which is a shopping and tourist hub - a most happening place.
The staff is courteous and tries their best to communicate with us English speaking guests. Most of the staff were able to communicate effectively even if they did not speak English fluently and we appreciated that. My advice though is, keep your queries to a minimum and phase them as simply as you can. Make an effort to have one person in the party communicate at any given time, parallel or group conversations have a ' sensory overloading' effect and tends to confuse the other non English speaking party. This I suppose is generally true of all scenarios where people are trying to communicate with minimum common language features.
The rooms were clean and room service effective.
The bathrooms had normal, functioning amenities.
The cooling in our room was not very effective and the thermostat could not be regulated. May be the Shanghai heat had something to do with it. We did try to communicate to the hotel staff but it got lost in the miscommunication. To their credit they did offer to change the room.
The pool and sauna,hot pool area were very nice, clean and the water temperature was perfect. The staff was very courteous.
My daughter had a massage and came back very happy.
We had evening tea at the hotel once and that was disappointing because we are tea drinkers in the Indian/English tradition with dark brewed tea with milk and sugar and in China the tradition is green tea brewed ever so slightly and I am afraid that's how they did our evening tea and that just did not work. Interestingly, the tea was very overpriced but the snacks were reasonably priced.
We did not eat at the hotel.
The room mini bar was very overpriced an consequently we did not touch it.
Last night we wanted to get to a restaurant in town at 8 pm and needed a taxi which the young man at the counter said was not easy to get at the time because it was night time and raining and because the restaurant was so close the taxi may not take us there anyway. He suggested we walk to it. Well, as it turned out, it was not raining! minimal sporadic drizzle, at best and the cab was not difficult to find and most importantly the restaurant was not walking distance so we did not make it to the restaurant.
We engaged a van and a driver, no guide, through the concierge and gave him a list of places we wanted to visit. He took us around and it we would get off, roam around and he would wait for us and then move on to the next attraction. This worked superbly for us. It cost us RMB 1200 for the day and it was well worth it.
One final word about business interaction in this part of the world; there is no expectation or pressure for tipping. Many do not even accept it. We tipped and I personally found it the most pleasing experience to not have that on my mind.
Overall my stay was a positive one.
I would recommend you to stay at the HJ plaza in Shanghai.

Stayed August 2013
Hoboken, New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I took the subway to the hotel, which was two blocks away from the Metro station, and as soon as I got to the front door I was quickly and graciously greeted by the bellman, as though I had arrived in a limousine. He whisked away my bags and said that they would be awaiting me in my room, Madam. My entire stay was like that, where the entire staff was helpful and alert to my every need. I used the concierge services to help me locate a China Post Office (two blocks away), and even to translate the address on my package so that the post office would accept it. The concierge also alerted me to the fact that the Shanghai Art Museum had relocated to a new building, saving me an erroneous trip. My room was beautiful and spacious with a little foyer and a walk-in closet and a large marble bath and vanity, separate marble shower, separate toilet room, and two queen beds. The bed was immensely comfortable. The front desk offered to upgrade my room to a deluxe suite for and extra 400RMB/night, which would have included the breakfast buffet, but I declined. My room felt like a deluxe suite already, and I paid the extra 188RMB? for breakfast. Don't miss the breakfast buffet. It is HUGE, and absolutely delightful, just the perfect start to your day in Shanghai. The chef is eager to please and will make omelets to order, or anything else. I also enjoyed the doing laps in the pool. The pool/spa facility is among the best I've seen. It trumps the fanciest spas that I've been to in the U.S. There is a steam room and dry sauna and spa services. The attendants are attentive and wonderful. I had forgotten my swim cap and goggles and made the mistake of spending hours searching for them on Nanjing Road, only to find that they had them for sale (likely for less!). I stayed only two nights, and wished it could have been longer. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Thank you, everyone at Grand Central, for being truly top-notched!

Room Tip: I was on the 10th Floor. Very quiet. There's probably not a bad room in the house.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the fantastic comments regarding your stay. We will share the comments with the hotel staff and ensure that we continue to work hard in order to make each guests stay memorable.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This 5 star hotel surprised me a lot. Clean spacious rooms with a very good bed. The bathroom is very comfortable. The interior is classic instead of some modern features, but does not influence the very good services of the helpful staff. Breakfast and lunch in the lobby are quite moderate. The price quality is good. The location is very central just 1 minute from the Nanjing road. If you need to be there this hotel is a very good choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your great review of the Grand Central Hotel Shanghai. We are so proud that you had good experience with us, and we truly appreciate your high esteem of our location, room as well as services. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night at the end of June.

Location wise this is absolutley fantasic, right in the centre of where everything is going on, perfect for tourists.
Staff were very helpful and pleasant during my stay, they answered politely any questions that I had.
Only thing I thought is that the Hotel itsself was a little dated and was expensive for what it is, but then I guess it is shanghai and in a prime location.

I would stay here again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay. We very much look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again when you return to Shanghai next time.
Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife and I were overwhelmed by the room and services offered. Just 10 minutes walk from the Bund and 1 minute from Nanjing Road made it a perfect location for us. If you are not used to luxury you will love it like we did - try the swiming pool!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
grandcentralhotelsha, Public Relations Manager at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Grand Central hotel Shanghai. We are delighted with your high esteem of our hotel location and room. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Central Hotel Shanghai in the near future.

Been to Grand Central Hotel Shanghai? Share your experiences!