“First Class for a Moderate Price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Shanghai Puxi

You added InterContinental Shanghai Puxi to your Saves list
InterContinental Shanghai Puxi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.500 Hengfeng Road, Zhabei District, Shanghai 200070, China (Shanghai Railway Station)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #43 of 3,975 Hotels in Shanghai
Delray Beach, Florida
“First Class for a Moderate Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Intercontinental Shanghai Puxi was chosen by my colleagues for a recent business trip and turned out to be a first class hotel in every respect, conveniently located, and cheap compared to U.S prices.

The room itself is best described by the photo attached. Marble, carpeting, first class appointments throughout. Multi-lingual, friendly staff, and attractive lobby and appearance.

On a map the location looked somewhat distant from the attractions I wanted to see, like the Bund (waterfront) and the Shanghai Museum. In fact, they were only 3 metro stops away, about 15 minutes. An all-day pass on the metro cost about $6US and easily took me to the Pearl Tower (tall TV tower you see in all the pictures), the Bund, and Museum.

The hotel cost about $100US per night, including a very complete and large buffet breakfast. A similar quality hotel in NY or Boston would be at least 4 or 5 times that price.

Two things the room could use, and I hope hotel management notices, is a small room safe for Passport and similar, and a luggage rack. Not a deal-breaker, just small points. Otherwise, a very good choice for visitors at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: I chose a high floor as Shanghai is lit up nicely at night.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Simply, this is a superb hotel. We have stayed at some of the greatest hotels in the world and this one ranks pretty high. The facilities in the room were outstanding so we had a very enjoyable three nights. Needless to say, the room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Good location about 10 minutes walk to subway station and convenient store, Starbucks and other food options near by. Room and amenities were indeed five stars, but other than that, service etc were way below standard for a five stars hotel. Mixed up start at check in, we booked and paid in advance for three rooms with breakfasts, I check in first around four in the afternoon, took them more than 30 minutes because they could not found our booking. I let our secretary forward the text message confirming our booking from ctrip and show it to them, they actually got the same message but mixed up and rumble our name. A simple sorry will be fine but no apology and they blamed it on ctrip for the mixed up which was not true because I read the message from ctrip and was correct. I asked for a room at higher floor and got no response, they put us on the tenth floor, but later they put our staff at 17 and top floor, why I never know? You paid and stayed at a five stars hotel because you want to be comfortable and room temperature was the key, specially for a good night sleep, our comfort level was 20 to 22 degree, but they set the centralized aircon system at 24 degree which was too hot for us to sleep or work inside the room. For the duration of our stay called them 4 times complaining about the temperature, they always send a maintenance guy to our room for show that they responded and check the aircon and I got to told them to lower the temperature at the main system every time which they do and temperature will go down to 22 degrees but only for a few hours and up again to 24. For three nights we always woke up after midnight because it was too hot for us for a comfortable sleep. The room telephone have a quick service key if you need something but most of the time you need more than ten rings for someone to pick up the phone not quick and annoying. For a grand ending, before booking I make sure that parking were free as I will drive to Shanghai and park the car for 3 days as We just need to walk to the office, so after check out I went to the conserge gave them my parking ticket for validation, they asked me to sign on a form and gave me a ticket with my parking ticket and told me to give it to the attendant at the gate. At the gate the attendant want me to went back and get 2 more tickets because I parked for 3 days which was the duration of our stayed. When I went back they gave me the 2 tickets I need and without me asking gave me a funny and unacceptable reasons: we can only give you 2 ticket each time you asked. Sum it up: This is a beautiful five star hotel with no star services, staff are under train and badly manage. I will never come back and surely not recommend.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Fantastic hotel with great services and customer care. I've spent one week in this hotel and I really enjoyed the room, the spa and the restaurant. I'm sure I will stay in this hotel again next time I'll be in Shanghai

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2015

Just back from a business trip with an associate to China and having been a InterCon Gold Ambassador and very regular guest to all of their hotels globally, as they have been, to date my preference, was nothing short of totally disappointed with the level of service provided at the Shanghai Puxi.

Everything just felt as though it was just that bit to hard and requests were just a little bit tough to fill, like arranging a hotel car to the airport at midnight for the following morning, asking for this as simple a more than one satchel of coffee, a couple of extra bottles of water for the room or the fruit basket that was promised but never came again after requesting it on two occasions. I did mention these were the "supposedly special" suites in the club section of the hotel, that's certainly what we paid for. I have had better service at a budget hotel and certainly a far better standard at virtually every other InterCon I have ever had the pleasure to stay at previously.

I know it sounds like a real whinge but a major part of the problem was that virtual none of the staff were fluent in English, something I have never experienced previously at one of their hotels.

Thanks InterCon Shanghai Puxi, we won't be back.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2015

When we arrived to check in there was some confusion about our booking. According to the Hotel they had received a phone call changing our room. As we booked this directly with the hotel ourselves and had not called the hotel at all we were sure that this was their mix up. They also told us that we had only booked breakfast for one which was also incorrect. We produced evidence from our booking of the rate we had booked and our reservation was quickly amended. We were taken to our room which was very very nice however, after a few hours and despite setting the air conditioning the temperature still remained too hot. We spoke with reception who sent an engineer but the problem persisted. We spoke to reception again and we were quickly moved to another room. Strangely we were also told that despite instruction in the room that we were not in fact able to set our preferred temperature! Next morning we went down to breakfast we found out that the normal restaurant was being refurbished and we were directed to what can only be described as a 'function room' with very large tables (seating 10) and were told to sit on any chairs that were vacant on any table. The room was hot and cramped and we found it odd to sit with strangers. The next day we can only assume that we were not the only people to complain as we were directed to the adjacent 'Sichuan Spice' restaurant which was cool and altogether better environment. However, overall the quality of the food at breakfast was not that good and certainly not what I would have expected from a five star rated hotel. Several mornings we just did not bother. Having said all that the hotel environment was very good with spacious, modern and clean rooms and facilities you would expect. What really made the hotel for us was the staff who were polite, very helpful and always smartly turned out. The hotel was also ideally situated next to the Shanghai Railway Station and Metro.

Room Tip: We had free Wi-Fi as we were IHG Gold Club Member. Not sure if we can help with choosing a room. We...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Victor Harbor, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2015 via mobile

located next to the Shanghai railway station, it is an excellent hotel. The room I had was spacious and luxurious. Staff were helpful and had reasonable spoken English. It is 6 kms from the cbd - a short taxi ride which cost $US4.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Shanghai Puxi? Share your experiences!