“Good hotel but location not ideal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Shanghai Puxi

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Shanghai Puxi to your Saves list
InterContinental Shanghai Puxi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.500 Hengfeng Road, Zhabei District, Shanghai 200070, China (Shanghai Railway Station)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #28 of 3,848 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong
“Good hotel but location not ideal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed here for 2 days. When we arrived late we were welcomed by a staff at the entrance and then four of us were checked in immediately. The lobby is very grand and makes you feel like you have just entered a palace. We got in after 10 pm so the only option for us to get some dinner was the ground floor restaurant where they also serve breakfast. Service was unattentive, food just about edible and the wine list not worth the paper it was printed on as everything was out of stock! I stayed on the 28th floor and my room was very spacious and I liked the interior design. The also offer an espresso machine but you have to pay 20 rmb for each capsule. I liked the bathroom which had a really good shower and a big bathtub. Also loved the toilet which was ine of those you get in Japan with all these sepcial functions like a dryer! The Sichuan restaurant was very good and I like its ambiance. You can eat there but also order food from the Cantonese restaurant on the 5th floor. Breakfast offered a big selection across western, Chinese and Japanese dishes. The hotel is close to a train station but in the immediate vicinity there is not much except office buildings.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Excellent rooms but not the best of locations. Very spacious & technically equipped rooms - with great sound and video systems. A nice big tub, huge rain shower, separate & fully automated toilet! Freaky to sit on such gadgets. Good food & good value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

The rooms are large and beautifully decorated. Great sound system. Nice bath products. Automatic curtains, automatic toilet and tv in mirror above sink are some nice perks. However, rooms are too warm and the breakfast is limited in choice.

Asia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Just check in this hotel again. Nothing much changed outside and at the lobby. During check in, I learnt this hotel is no longer an InterContinental since 1 September. Although they have sent us a room reservation confirmation under the InterContinental letter head beginning of Nov, but they are not honor any PriorityClub, Ambassador or Royal Ambassador benefits.
Bad interaction and communication from front desk. Our booking is under corporate rate so the price is kind of attractive. The agent was telling us "You got a very cheap rate, you can get an upgrade to the executive floor for just RMB500 a night"
Then they told us they are no longer under Intercon, there will not be any benefits given. I do not even get a late check out for 2-3 hours.
I experienced some hotel management change, before they officially change the name, they usual honer the original arrangement, but this hotel even withdraw it before that. Please refer to my previous review in August. Now I understood why its happen.
My room was so HOT. When i called the operator to request an engineer to address the problem, I got an answer that "Can you turn off the air-condition?" I have to request the manager in order to get the engineer to see the problem. Even thought, it was 25C in my room after few hours. I just cannot be bother to deal with them anymore and decided not to stay in this property again.
Housekeeping staffs are good and helpful. Restaurant for breakfast and Japanese lunch is nice.
May be a visit to the restaurant but definitely not for a stay. It is a pity to see a beautiful property falling and i hope whoever the new management come in could fix the problem.
Front desk staffs said Rumors said is Hilton but they know it is Not.

Dhaka City, Bangladesh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Not the best of locations but excellent rooms. Very soacious & technically equipped rooms. A nice big tub, huge rain shower, separate & fully automated toilet! Good food & good value for money. I would go back again.

• Stayed November 2012
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was there two weeks ago on business and it was a very pleasant stay. Convenient for me because our office was literally next door, so I did not need to worry about hailing cabs or logistics of any sort (atleast to and from the office).
What can I say about Shanghai and the hotel? Visiting from Canada, I was not sure what to expect. First (I am not sure if anyone has come across this problem) but my Shanghai office initially recommended this hotel to me, so I googled it to understand where it is, etc., and while I was able to find reviews of it on tripadvisor and locate it on google maps.. when I asked my travel company to book, they were unable to identify it, and when they called InterContinental, it seemed as though they were not prepared to provide details of this information. Which is strange, because you would still be able to find information (or atleast a link on the hotel website) but still insufficient for the web and information for those travelling to Shanghai for the first time.
First and foremost, you require a visa (just an fyi) -- next when you arrive at the airport, and you find those uniformed dressed ladies/men that speak english, do not follow them, they charge you 300 CNY (which they say is cheaper than the taxi) and which you are convinced of, because they speak english.. taxi drivers in Shanghai do not speak english, and are hard to come by. So if you want to get around, the easiest way is to have it written in chinese characters, and sometimes you need to be descriptive with the landmarks around it so they know EXACTLY where it is. Anyways, do not follow them (the private cars are not your "black cabs" that we are used to in North America, grab a taxi, and show them your hotel confirmation (where it has the address) it will cost you no more than 200 CNY - they call this yuan or renminbi -- from airport to this specific InterContinental Shanghai Puxi Hotel (and this is with traffic, because traffic in Shanghai is terrible). The drive should take about 45 minutes.
Once you get to the Hotel, it's great, the staff speaks english, the lobby is grandiose, the rooms are clean and everything is available, and if you forget converter/adapter, don't fret, they have one of those international adapter readily available in the room (very nice touch!) They have a very nice Japanese restaurant on the 2nd floor called Koi, and their breakfast buffet is also good too! It is just across the street from the railway station (so for those that feel adventurous it is very convenient).
There are those heated, self-wash automatic toilets in the room.. very very interesting lol
All in all the hotel itself was a great experience. The Concierge were helpful in helping me decide what type of tour I could do for the spare time I had. They recommended the "Shanghai half day tour" hosted by Grayline, but I wanted to see more of the infamous City lights, so they booked me a private tour by the same company but called "Evening City Lights and Huangpu River Cruise" which cost for me at the time (770 CNY) as it was a private tour; it includes my fare for the ferry and the convenience of having an english speaking guide. The guide and driver were very professional and knowledgeable of all the questions I had. The views were breath taking. (See my pictures) and just as a prep, be prepared to be pushed and cut-off while standing in-line. I am an Asian girl, so I mean no disrespect or discrimination, but some Asian people do not know what a queue means and are completely oblivious to it. But you will see The Bund (famous waterfront) and take the ferry along the Huangpu river and get to see the Jinmao Tower, Pearl TV Tower (on the Pudong side), and the more historical and colonial style architecture along the Puxi side. And then get to walk along the Nanjing Road (Shopping mecca!!) also known as the road that never sleeps! -- I usually like to do a tour of the City, before I go myself, just so I can get a sense of where it is, what the area is like, etc.,

I do recommend that you go visit the Street Market, but do go with locals (if you are on business I am sure one of your english speaking colleagues) who can also negotiate the prices for you, because you could get ridiculous prices!! I got some beautiful scarves for 10 CNY!!!! literally 1 dollar (if not less pending the currency) for each! and souvenir tshirts (and no different quality) for 20 CNY each!! Ofcourse they also have imitations galore, so if you are into that kind of stuff, this is the place to visit, but also for more local stuff which you will find marked up for 150-200 CNY at a mall.

My overall experience of Shanghai, well what can I say, you need alot of patience.. and need to be calm.. sometimes the way Chinese people speak may seem like they are arguing but it is their tone depending on the person, and this is not to mock, but just want to point out the difference in cultures. I am non-Chinese but of Orient decent, but I guess in their eyes I am Chinese, it's like they were in disbelief when I told them that I was not Chinese and came upon their own conclusion; 1) I am really Chinese but I pretend I don't speak Chinese; 2) I am really Chinese but my parents "raised" me incorrectly because they did not teach me how to speak Chinese; 3) I am really Chinese but I am just stupid.. and the drive from Hotel to Airport when leaving Shanghai, by far the worst. If there is one thing that I wish I learned to say in Chinese, is "Hurry-Up" because this taxi driver first checked to see if I spoke Chinese, and when he learnt that I don't, he pumped his brakes the ENTIRE ride from the hotel to airport (which is like a 45 minute ride) -- now I don't know if this is a ruse to trick the meter, but he did end up charging me double, as there was no traffic, and he kept pumping his brakes and would brake harder when he came across speed limit signs (meanwhile every car was whizzing past us) and the ride ended up taking 1 hour and 30 minutes and costing me double the fare (about 220 CNY) -- I still curse him until now, and I am not exaggerating when I say the time/fare/or the pumping of the brakes.. it was by far the worst taxi experience everrrrrr..

But all in all Shanghai is a beautiful City, InterContinental Shanghai Puxi hotel experience was great! Though I would have loved to see the front guys, hustle for taxis when they see people getting impatient waiting at the taxi queue. When and if you do get to visit the Pudong side, you will notice that it is more modern, more luxurious, and they have the shopping and hotels all within one vicinity.

The InterContinental Shanghai Puxi was a very convenient location for me (as I was on business), but the neighbourhood around it is older and still has lots of developments in progress, so you will see more demolished areas and older buildings. It's not as close to everything, so a taxi is needed. Another great shopping mall is Plaza 66 for luxury brand lovers, it is a mecca, thought I find it to be pricier (though it should all be relative?) I find SIngapore to be more similarly priced to the US retail price.

Room Tip: I had room number 1519, it was a City view and unobstructed (which was nice!) - it literally was a c...