“Look forward to staying there again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Shanghai Puxi

You added InterContinental Shanghai Puxi to your Saves list
InterContinental Shanghai Puxi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.500 Hengfeng Road, Zhabei District, Shanghai 200070, China (Shanghai Railway Station)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
4.5 of 5 stars 457 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
“Look forward to staying there again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Beautifully appointed modern hotel in every sense.
The rooms are spacious and practically laid out. I found it convenient and comfortable to sit in the room and do work.
Wireless Internet is free.
I used the indoor swimming pool and steam room - also beautifully appointed using high quality stone finishes and mosaics.
I thought the breakfast food selection catered for all tastes, both western and Asian styles.

It is located around 10 minutes walk from the central train station, another advantage if you on tend to use the train service.

This was my second visit to this hotel in the past 6 months.

In summary, it a superb place to stay when visiting Shanghai.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
IC_Duty_Manager, Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Puxi, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Dear Metalman66,

Thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel. We very much pride ourselves on offering the best hotel in the Puxi area. We look forward to welcoming you again! One of the great benefits of joining our Priority Club and obtaining use of the Club Tower is the free internet service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

This was one of the best hotels i have been to - especially in terms of the rooms.

The rooms were out of this world - very modern, very clean, and very high tech. I love the IPOD docking station, that connected to the main "speaker bar". The flat screen TV was nice, but even better was the fact that it could be moved as you required.

The functionality and layout of the room was also excellent - quite spacious, and included a sofa/lounger up against the window.

The amenities in th room were exceptional - including the shower area and the bathroom. The shower offered a rain shower head, as well as a handheld shower. The bathroom area was "closed off" by a set of blinds, which was electronically controlled to open and close.. The curtains were also electronic.

The toilet was a TOTO with all the bells and whistles - including a sensor which lifted the toilet seat when you entered the toilet room, and a wall mounted control panel which allowed you to use a jet spray of water to clean yourself, and dry yourself.

Some minor annoyances:

1. The internet is wired, not wireless in the room - which means you HAVE to use it on the desk.

2. The hotel is located a bit outside of the main areas of Shanghai - except for the Railway station. So to get to places, it can take some time.

3. Some of the wait staff in the main restaurant were not willing to provide the highest quality service. The issues were small, and "fixable", but they were likely new employees "just following the rules". For example, we were at breakfast just as it was closing, and we asked for a simple black tea. The waiter said no, and all we had to do was ask the manager, and it was taken care of. Similarly, the next day at breakfast, we asked for the bill to be charged to one of our rooms, as the other had checked out. The wait staff said no, but again all we had to do was ask a more senior person, and it was taken care of.

4. The coffee machine was so high tech, I had no clue how to use it. I tried a few times, and then just gave up and went downstairs for a cup of java instead.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
IC_Duty_Manager, Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Puxi, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Greetings Airbus_Guy,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We here at the Intercontinental Shanghai Puxi strive to give a high level of service to our guests. It is good to know your opinion of our facilities as well as the issues you encountered, especially with the internet and the waitstaff.

All rooms have wireless access and we will double check to make sure the signal is strong enough throughout the hotel. Our waitstaff will be addressed and a clear solution will be provided to them for future cases. I am happy the managers at the restaurant were able to handle your requests as we strive to make great hotels that people love. Thank you once again and we wish to welcome you back to the Intercontinental soon!
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

My first time in Shanghai, so wanted somewhere comfortable and reliable as a base. These guys ticked all the boxes. NO communication issues at all, check in was reliable and efficient, and the multitude of concierge/greeters in the foyer made any need for information or directions a breeze.
Accessibility to Xintiandi and French Concession etc simple and cheap by taxi, which was always readily available from front door. Short walk to 24 hour shop, Starbucks, McD's and a five storey Dept store. Great exchange facility (24 hour machine) in foyer.
The only negative? They came to service the room at 8.30am on a Sunday morning ?(You must be kidding!) No drama, just told them to come back later.
I note that I did stay in the main tower, not the "club" tower.

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

I am staying at this hotel twice in two weeks for business. Each stay was 4 nights. The Lobby is absolutely gorgeous and well organized. I reserved a Deluxe King on the 30th floor and had room 3016. I was immediately impressed by the size and modern appointments of the room. The bed and pillow were great, room absolutely quiet, with a separate toilette , spacious standing shower (handheld or rain option) and tub. My second stay was in room 3019 which is a corner room, didn’t seem quite as big but has two walls of windows with powered drapes. As a business traveler, I appreciate the great working area with desk, outlets, desk lamp and broadband. There are many lighting options in the room as well, so you can choose your mood. I also liked the large the flat screen tv and separate Phillips surround sound for your ipod, iphone, mp3 or dvd. What really impressed me most however is the high- level of service for the hotel which in China, is a very welcome aspect indeed. I left three pairs of pants and a $1,000 alligator with silver buckle belt in room, which I didn’t discover until I arrived at my next step of my voyage. A colleague of mine was joining me in this city, so I called the hotel. They had a courier, at no charge, deliver the pants to my colleague’s office. They also stayed on the delivery person until delivery and text messaged me several times on the status of the delivery. This may not sound like anything out of the ordinary for an Intercontinental, but if you have ever been to China, you will appreciate that this high-level of professional and concerned staff reaction is extraordinary. I had lunch at the Ecco restaurant and it was quite good and fast. I have also smoked a few cigars at the bar, and had tea in the lounge, all of which were very comforable experiences. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

I have recently spend three nights at the main tower. The hotel decoration is really nice - luxury and modern. They had a very good taste in decorating this hotel. The room is spacious, clean, with a big LDC TV, stereo system with iPod dock, Nespresso machine, automatic curtains (these little details that make your life easier) and a beautiful bathroom.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

I stay here twice a month and always in the club tower. First of all, I have to say that the hotel decoration is modern and fantastic. Of the highest quality and most of the staff are really good. Its a good hotel. But, I will not be back soon.
The hotel has been undergoing renovations (not that it was needed at all) and changes. Firstly, I always take a club room because I want a quiet breakfast experience served in the executive lounge. Up to now, the breakfast in the lounge has been fantastic. Service and food faultless. When I checked in last week, I was told that breakfast had moved to the main tower and you have to eat with everyone else. This is not me being a snob, but the old club breakfast with CNN, newspapers and my laptop in a quiet environment & personal service was what I was paying club prices for. Also, the other tower isn't connected so you have a 3 minute walk from one to the other. Not great when its windy and snowing.
There is no smoking in the club lounge and never has been. As such, I liked to sit in the bar in the main tower for drink and a couple of smokes. The bar has now been converted to an all day restaurant and the bar has been moved to a tiny room that was once the business center at the end of the main lobby. The bar has no sole or atmosphere.
The two things I liked to do here were eat breakfast in the lounge and drink and smoke in the bar. Both these have been taken away from me, so the once great Intercontinental Puxi has lost my business.
I have stayed in the main tower rooms once and they are similar to the club rooms. If you stay, don't pay for the club experience unless you want free wifi and free drinks all day in the lounge.
Take a standard room and pay for wifi. You'll eat breakfast in the same place and it'll be cheaper.
This really was a great hotel until the changes started happening, You should stay if your looking for a good hotel in the main tower. You can't go wrong.
I'm off to the Shangri-La to see if it's up to the Kowloon Hong Kong standards?

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

My 2 adult children and I are now in Shanghai for a leisure trip. We are staying in 2 Club Deluxe Suites of the Puxi Intercontinental hotel. One room has a king bed and the other 2 double beds.
Beds: Very nice supporting mattresses, lovely down duvets and down pillows.
The rooms are very very nice: previous reviews have said it all: the room lives up to the reviews as well as to the description on their website: WiFi is complimentary,

Check-in :
We initially checked in at the main hotel building (the Club suites are in another building next to the main hotel building). The lobby was airy and spacious and nice. Check in service at the main building was fairly cold: no smiles AT ALL, a seemingly grudging manner in providing information. Maybe the lady was having a bad day! I was starting to have doubts staying at this hotel, but fortunately soon came across other staff members who were quite different...

There was a slight hiccup about the configuration of rooms but that was sorted out very quickly. The reception people in Tower B (where the Club suites are) were very nice and friendly and helpful.

The Western Restaurant
Before we settled into our rooms, we had lunch in the restaurant. There was a buffet promotion : 4 for the price of 3, but since the time was around 2pm then and various empty food selections were not going to be replenished (we were told), we decided to go for a la carte. Staff were friendly and service was very good. The food though was mediocre. Even for Shanghai it was pricey and the food quality was not good.

The "BUT" in my heading:
(1) although the room has its own temperature control switch, the temperature setting is fixed. When I enquired today, I was told that the hotel has a central thermostat setting and the switch in the room only allows the occupant to control "on/off" and wind speed.

(2) this morning, at around 8 am, there was a sudden strong smell of cigarette smoke. It was like someone was sitting inside the room smoking. Neither my daughter nor I smoke, in fact we were still sleeping (we went to bed at 2am), and when I enquired via the phone, I was told someone would come to 'investigate'. I was also asked whether I would like a change of rooms. Totally awake by now, I explained that the room was fine, was fine all yesterday, I did not want to change rooms (since obviously the smoke smell was coming through the air con vents) and that all I wanted to know was whether there was anything they could do to help clear the smoke, e.g. an air freshener. Service was prompt and a young lady from housekeeping soon appeared with an air freshener. That helped somewhat and whoever it was that caused the smoke has stopped smoking.

(3) We have a view of the river. It is not a direct view though and in between the river and the hotel are some old houses that are being demolished (to make way for some development - a pity in my view, I would have preferred the old houses be preserved and perhaps refurbished). It is Sunday today, and at 8:45 am the workers working on the demolishment started working.... Drilling and hammering (although not too loud since we are on the 17th floor) is not a welcome sound.

• Stayed January 2011

Been to InterContinental Shanghai Puxi? Share your experiences!