“The elegance of 30s Shanghai wrapped in the 21st century” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula Shanghai

You added The Peninsula Shanghai to your Saves list
The Peninsula Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.32 Zhongshan East First Road, Shanghai 200002, China (The Bund)   |
Special Offer
Stay One More Night
Ranked #4 of 3,989 Hotels in Shanghai
New York City, New York
“The elegance of 30s Shanghai wrapped in the 21st century”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

We stayed here over Xmas 2009, soon after it opened. Everything about the place was wonderful - the staff (good English spoken); the spacious room, with all mod-cons including an iPod/iPhone audio+video hookup; the comfortable king-size bed; the swimming pool and jacuzzi. We didn't try any of the restaurants or bars but the room service food was excellent (popcorn chicken!).

Don't miss the Sunday afternoon ballroom dancing in the lobby - really brings back a feel for what pre-war Shanghai must have felt like.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Recently stayed at the Peninsula and overall would say that I was satisfied but the value is questionable.

The hotel is in a great position on the Bund (although the main entrance is on a side road) but I suppose if you are there on business you might prefer to stay the other side of the river.

The hotel itself is a beautiful art deco restoration and the rooms have every modern amenity. We stayed in a suite overlooking the River and it was spectacular. I was also very impressed that we were able to check in at 10am.

Disappointments include the breakfast is served in the entrance hall and is OK but not worth the money, staff very attentive but check in had surprisingly poor English.

Having stayed in Peninsula Hotels in Hong Kong and Bangkok, I thought that this was not one of their better ones but was much better that in Beijing.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

Our (6) night stay at this wonderful property was absolutely brilliant. We had nothing but meticulous service from all members of the staff. The "valet box” is magical…pop in you laundry, ice bucket or just a request and …SHAZAM! Your request is speedily granted. Everyone from front desk, to restaurants and service staff aims to please.

Cindy Sung, manager of Sir Elly's restaurant treated us as if we were celebrity guests, going out of her way to make our dinner a exceptional experience. The open air bar on the roof overlooking the Bund is beautiful and the night view is like a special personal performance. We travel around the world and frequently stay at luminary properties. The Peninsula in Shanghai is one of the finest hotels we’ve found anywhere. We cannot believe or understand the negative reviews found on this page….I guess they can’t please everyone but they unquestionably did us.

Jonathan & Cynthia McCague
Sarasota, FL

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

This is probably one of the best hotels we've been to. Location is just perfect: close to the Bund (nice to have a walk), shopping area (Nanjin Road is within walking distance), the old town of Shanghai with the Yu Yuan Garden is also very close and many good restaurants in the nearby.
The rooms are fully equipped (fax / IPOD dock station / nail dryer / coffee machine etc etc etc) and full of technology.
Don't miss the spa / gym and magnificient indoor pool !!!.
Very friendly staff. Make sure you book a room with river view.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Hudson, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

The Shanghai Peninsula was my first stay at a Peninsula property and I have to say it was superb in all regards.
This hotel is brand new, opened earlier in 2010. It is located directly on the Bund in Shanghai and was the first new construction on the Bund in more than 60 years. The property fits right into the old colonial style of buildings in the area.
My experience with the hotel - from car service to/from the airport, to check in, restaurants/bars, spa, concierge was all 5+ star and first rate. The service was overall superb. The only negative I experienced was the price for a glass of wine in the Compass bar which was approx. $27 US per glass of red wine.. understanding "higher" prices in 5 star hotels, I found this to be frankly ridiculous. That being said the service in the Compass bar was superb.
My weekend rate was very reasonable for a Peninsula property at approx. $260 USD per night - including breakfast, 1 spa lunch and wireless internet. The room was simply the nicest, most spacious (for a non-suite), most comfortable room I've ever experienced. When I opened the door I was simply blown away by the room decor. The room is also fairly high tech with electronic controls, which I found quite nice.
The concierge desk was also top notch in informing me about World Expo, in arranging taxis and providing maps and information about the local area around the hotel. The concierge was friendly, efficient and just top notch.
I've read some negative reviews of this hotel and frankly I have to say that was not my experience at all. I can only recommend this hotel as probably the nicest hotel stay I've ever experienced.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
New England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

My family and I traveled this month to Shanghai, China and stayed at The Peninsula Hotel from July 2 through July 4, 2010. We were very excited to stay at The Peninsula and anticipated a wonderful hotel experience. Unfortunately from the moment we registered at the hotel our expectations of fine hotel service was not met.

The attendant at the service desk did not greet us appropriately and had a matter of fact attitude. The Peninsula Hotel has had the reputation of exceptional service and our initial contact with the staff was less than pleasurable.

We reserved and paid for two rooms, one for my wife and myself and the other for our son. The package that we reserved included a breakfast and complimentary lunch at the spa. Upon return at home we noticed inappropriate charges on our credit card.

A more disturbing incident occurred on July 3, 2010. My wife and I returned to our room at the Peninsula to rest before getting ready for dinner. We were sound asleep when a loud bang at the door startled us both. A woman was openening the door of our room yelling, "You must come down to the service desk.” She never informed us why ? My husband quickly stopped the woman from entering as he was not appropriately dressed. He had to use significant force to keep her from entering our room. He told the woman through the door that we would stop at the desk on our way out. She finally left . As you can imagine we were quiet upset.

We approached the attendant at the desk that evening and relayed this upsetting experience. He checked our account information and did not see anything that needed attention. He asked us if we had a description of this person and we informed him that we never completely opened the door. He informed us that this was not appropriate for any Peninsula employee to disturb a guest in this fashion. He promised that he would look into this episode and get back to us. We were never provided with any follow up explanation or apology that evening or during check out.

This Property is nice. but I have to say I do not get the hype about this Hotel chain
I found it not worth paying a premium for. We have been in contact with them on and off since we returned and as of this date things have not been resolved to our satisfaction

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

After staying at HoJo with some decent nights, we swapped to this fantasy hotel, with a bit of difficulty. There is a not-so-modern hotel that bears with the name "Peninsula" nearby (luckily) which the taxi took us there. We arrived with a shock telling the driver this isn't the right place - finally we arrived with the address given, only that we entered at the back (facing the bund) of the hotel. No one paid much notice that we were a guest thus had to carry my luggage all the way to the lobby.

Checked in smoothly with the receptionist who brought us personally to our room to introduce all the gadgets inside rooms - with all the dim lights, ipod-friendly AV system, Internet radios (except the internet speed couldn't keep up), FREE VOIP calls, LCD TV-facing bath-tub, espresso machines, and even a nail dryer for the girls - they all impressed us. BTW they offer FREE hotspots everywhere (in room / lobby etc) to guests.

Location-wise it's at the end / start (depends on how you see it) of the Bund, providing a good access to this tourist-mad area. Because it's at the tip it isn't particularly crowded. Going elsewhere in the city would always require taxi rides - though we had a 10-min peaceful walk from Nanjing East road subway station.

You would expect the best facility available there. The pool is a MUST to go - you simply have to go see it to feel it. There's a small accident that I realized I lost my goggles after returning to room. I phoned the gym and wanted to see if they could find it. They did their best to look for it, finally found it in a pile of towels which was already put in the washing bin. That really impressed me that even I wouldn't do a search in my pile of dirty clothes if I lost something.

Indeed it's really their personal services that impressed me the most. Everytime I sought directions to go somewhere, the personnel there won't just point me to where I wanted to go, but put down what s/he was doing, guided me to the place where I could find my way.

Didn't try any dining except breakfast and room service which was alright. The breakfast was unexpectedly dull. Been there for 2 days, I found the buffet breakfast looked almost the same and the choices weren't that impressive. The cockatils at the top were okay - you should see a nice view of the Bund in a good-weather evening

And for those who would pursue Expo journey during your trip, they provide free shuttle services to there and return every 1.5 hr or so. Worry to miss the bus stop when you return? You shouldn't as they will have a physical person (even at night) standing there awaits you even the bus hasn't arrived - that's the service that really impressed me. I'll definitely try again - if they keep the price reasonable!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple