“Still a hotel with impeccable service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula Shanghai

Save Saved
You added The Peninsula Shanghai to your Saves list
The Peninsula Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.32 Zhongshan East First Road, Shanghai 200002, China (The Bund)   |
Special Rate
Room Upgrade and Amenity
Ranked #5 of 3,734 hotels in Shanghai
Moorpark, California
“Still a hotel with impeccable service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Mu husband and I decided to spend our 36th anniversary and my birthday(ladies are always 25) in Shanghai at this wonderful hotel. We arrived at the end of October when the weather in Shanghai was perfect for travel. This is the second time we stayed at this property. We were totally satisfied with our first stay last year. This time we are even treated much better as coming back customers. We took the Travel In Style package which allowed us to have round trip transportation, unlimited local and long distance calls, two daily breakfasts at the Lobby that one can orders hot items and whatever is served at the buffet. The most fantastic thing is unlimited laundry and dry clean. We were treated like royals with upgrade to a fantastic river view suite with roses, cupcakes, and Champagne waiting for our arrival. With a perfect travel plan suggested by their Director of Guest Relation, my husband and I had the most memorable anniversary and the
best birthday of my life. I would like to recommend this hotel to whoever plans to visit Shanghai. The room charge may be somewhat on the upper side but every penny is worth it. Since the hotel locates on the Bund, the location is perfect for convenience and a river view room would give you a magnificent view of the Shanghai skyline at either day and night.

Room Tip: River view rooms are highly recommended .
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear monique l,

Thank you for your kind review of The Peninsula Shanghai. I am delighted that you enjoyed the “royal treatment” for your return visit with us.

We look forward to your future birthday and anniversary visits when we shall plan some further surprises!

674 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed at the The Peninsula for five nights and its location is spot on at one end of the Bund. The building itself is spectacular, beautifully decorated in Art Deco style, in keeping with the other buildings in the Bund. It looks like the hotel has been there since the 20’s, but in fact it was built in the last decade.
Our room was spacious, with high spec furnishings; the dressing room was impressive with more than enough space. The air conditioning in our room was slow to take effect to our surprise! Free international calls were a welcome bonus.
However, to match the opulence of this hotel you need spectacular service to justify the price you pay for it, and that is where the hotel let us down. Well, we won’t bore you with all the details but we will mention some important issues: finding a hair in your hash brown after almost finishing an egg omelette (see photo), finding creased and not properly starched napkins at your breakfast table (see photo), asking the Concierge how to get to Suzhou by fast train, only to get to the train station to find out that you need your passport- he forgot to mention that! He also failed to mention that you need to book your return ticket in advance, so we got stuck at the train station in Suzhou for hours and ended up going back in a normal train not the fast CRH; and by “normal” we mean stacks of bunk beds (a place you don’t want to be even near!)
Here a funny one: we were stopped by the hotel security whilst taking photos inside the hotel! First he asked if we were staying at the hotel and then he said that we needed to report to the Communications Department of the hotel if we wanted to take photos! Really, is this a joke?? When we complained to the management they apologized and said that this should not have happened and that the security officer probably thought that we were professional photographers! OK...we do have a really nice camera, but are you serious???
We were not impressed by the breakfast selection at the hotel and the lack of vegetarian choices on their menu at the restaurants or in the 24 hour room service.We had our meals at the Gran Hyatt Jin Mao Tower (Italian:Cucina and Japanese: Kobachi). Also at Number 6 on the Bund (Japanese called Sun with Aqua). Our favorite afternoon tea was at the famous Peace Hotel on the Bund!
To be fair, we have to mention that the management were very apologetic and tried to make up for their mistakes (a bit late though as all the issues happened by day 2 and the offers came at day 5). They offered us a Rolls Royce transfer to the airport which we declined; they offered us a meal which we also declined, so on our departure we had the Hotel Manager coming to apologize personally and to present us with two pillow cases embroidered with our initials (see photo) which we finally accepted.
During our stay in China we also stayed at the Four Seasons Beijing, Shangri-La in Xian, Mandarin Oriental in Sanya. In Hong Kong we stayed at the Icon hotel and Hyatt Regency (as we had a last minute change of plans and couldn't find availability at the Icon). All the hotels we mentioned were a cut above The Peninsula and that was a surprise for us! Not pleasant one!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Tamara-Chris,
Thank you for your review of The Peninsula Shanghai.

Of course, I am most disheartened to read your review but respectfully acknowledge your comments. As discussed when we spoke in person, these oversights are not typical of the experience that The Peninsula Shanghai provides, as is evident by the many positive reviews which are posted on this forum.

The offer that I extended to you upon departure remains and I do hope to have the pleasure of personally welcoming you back to The Peninsula Shanghai again in the future so that we may restore your faith in our service.

usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I just returned from a stay at the Peninsula Shanghai and it is a 5 star world class,luxury hotel.
We were upgraded to a larger room at check in and the room was well designed,very comfortable and quite spacious.Every day a platter of fresh fruit was delivered to the room and there was also an expresso coffee maker and tea service in the room which was great in the early morning.
Our room had a nice separate dressing area.
I previously stayed in Shanghai across the river at the Park Hyatt which was also superb, but had a more modern and contemporary vibe .My views from the Park Hyatt were unbeatable as it was on the 78th floor of a modern skyscraper.Each hotel is superb but very different.
The Peninsula staff was most gracious and pleasant and the hotel had a European feel with classic pampered service..Location of the Peninsula is better if you like to walk and be in the "thick of things".
Great shopping and restaurants nearby and the views of modern Shanghai across the river are breathtaking.
Sir Elly's bar and restaurant on the top floor is a great place to have a drink and dine with some of the best views of Shanghai, although expect to pay a bit more than other comparable places nearby .Lunch in restauant was excellent. My only negative comment is that the Breakfast service and food selection/quality at the Peninsula was a bit dissappointing compared to the Park Hyatt.
I highly recommend this hotel if you like a world class luxury hotel where pampering and servcie is not a forgotten art.

Room Tip: My view at the Peninsula was not great and I highly recommend a view facing modern shanghai on the b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear jmreiff,

Thank you for your detailed review. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate our European-inspired feel and service. As you rightly note, we are fortunate to be well located within walking distance of many of Shanghai’s most popular attractions and shops.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Koloa, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We love the Peninsula brand and have stayed in several of their hotels. The Shanghai Peninsula beats them all. The rooms are beautiful, extremely comfortable and perfectly organized. The dressing area is a delight and the bathroom is perfect for a couple. The location on The Bund is perfect for shopping and sightseeing. The rooftop bar must not be missed with its view of Pudong.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of Pudong.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Tana H,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about The Peninsula Shanghai. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our rooms to be so comfortable (which we have to agree with!).

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Best wishes,

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

On the northern side of the Bund, the main entrance to the Hotel is on Beijing East Road (you will need this info to let taxi drivers know as not all of them is familiar with the hotel name). The hotel has a beautiful Art Deco theme - from the lobby to the rooms, everything is super well appointed.

The room itself has a great layout - dressing room on the left of the foyer and bathroom on the right. It also has a door that one can close to separate the living room and bedroom area from the foyer area - a great way to block out sounds from the corridor. Internet radio, VOD, information panels on weather outside and lots of panels to control lights, entertainment systems etc throughout the room - the designers did a great job. The rooms here are definitely more cozy and better set up than the Peninsula in Beijing. (HK is completing its revamp, can't wait to see it!)

The gym and pool are simply outstanding - no reason for not spending enough time on workouts. Lots of great equipment (Lifecycle), including ones I've never seen before at other hotel gyms for body toning/weight training and both rooms have nice views of the greenery outside. It's a great treat.

Sir Elly's terrace has a great view of the bund - highly recommend stopping by here for a drink. The Lobby is where afternoon tea and breakfast is served. It's nice but not "wow". I prefer the Compass Bar more than The Lobby.

Staff are very kind and helpful. I think they are so used to serving a certain type of clientele that when I asked the whether I can walk from the hotel to YuYuan (45 mins only), they were shocked.

Would definitely come back if I'm in Shanghai for a short stay. It has been a while where I found a hotel that I don't mind staying in and not venturing outdoors at all!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear cosmic_dot,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about The Peninsula Shanghai. I am glad that you enjoyed many of our facilities and appreciated the in-room technology. Of course I am most delighted to know that you found our staff to be so accommodating, we are lucky to have a wonderful team.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Petoskey, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Peninsula Shanghai fully lives up to the reputation of all other Peninsula properties I have stay at in the past. It is located right on the Bund overlooking Pudong amazing skyline. Every time I come to Shanghai there is another mega-story building under construction but the Peninsula remains a great hotel in a great location. Roof top restaurant and bar are tops for views.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Thomas S,

Thank you for your review of The Peninsula Shanghai. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, we are lucky to have some spectacular views due to our prime location on The Bund.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This hotel is amazing from a comfort point of view. I stayed here for two nights on business, and was lucky enough to stay in a Deluxe River View room - King. Of all the higher end hotels I have stayed in, this has to be one of the best. Asia offers the best in hotels from my experience (I have not been to the Middle East, however.....yet), and this is just another example of that. It is expensive, but is close to the Bund, and offers luxury at every turn. Nothing is a problem, but then you are paying for it too. Whereas in western establishments you are also paying for it, you usually don't get the level of luxury and service for the price. Thoroughly happy with my stay here. For criticism I would say that the breakfast was a little light on selection (although the selection is still very good), it just doesn't offer the level of choice you would have in say the USA. No organic food is offered for instance. Not a lot of fruit either. Which to my mind should be at this level of hotel. The gym is a good gym by any standards. I have always found the focus of Asia on fitness to be funnily surrounding the image of fitness rather than the core philosophy of being healthy and fit, and this shows through in the gym. All the latest machines, but the trainers are not that great. This is like any Hotel in Asia though, at least in my opinion. Not a big deal if you know what you are doing, but still something to be aware of if you are new to the gym and fitness. The gym is appointed well however, and offers a great place to workout for those already accustomed to it. Their car service was great too. You pay for this, but again the option was available. The only other criticism would say is that some staff have poor english, but again not a show stopper, and easy to deal with. Just be prepared to deal with it if your driver needs to communicate with you. Certainly a lot easier that with a taxi driver. Overall a very cool hotel. All this aside I have no real criticisms. Staff were friendly. Amenities were great, Room was fantastic with a river view.

Room Tip: Try the gym. And if you are only staying here once, a river view is worth it if you can swing it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Jetzetter,

Thank you for your thorough review of The Peninsula Shanghai. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your experience with us. I also appreciate your constructive feedback. We strive to offer a wide selection of fruits but balance this with the available quality of items in the market so that we only serve what we consider to be the best produce. We are proud to have on our staff the only certified Iyengar Yoga instructor in Shanghai. Our instructor regularly hosts Wellness Weekend Escapes to promote a healthy lifestyle. These weekends incorporate various techniques including yoga, stretching and breathing techniques and are concluded with a meal from our Naturally Peninsula Menu which features light and healthy dining options.

I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon and I would be delighted to arrange for a private consultation with our wellness instructor.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Peninsula Shanghai? Share your experiences!