“Best service ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula Shanghai

Save Saved
You added The Peninsula Shanghai to your Saves list
The Peninsula Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.32 Zhongshan East First Road, Shanghai 200002, China (The Bund)   |
Ranked #5 of 3,841 hotels in Shanghai
“Best service ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Excellent hotel from start to finish. Stayed in SHG also at the Waldorf which was great but this was better.

Didn't have our room when we checked in at 7pm sat so they upgraded us. Excellent room, excellent amenities, nespresso machine, free voip international calls, everything touch sensored.

The spa/pool was beautiful, clean, very nice locker room and wonderful indoor pool.

Only issue was the breakfast is not a traditional buffet, but breads/cheese/pastries and a la carte as well - was good but not the best, but not a major issue.

All in all an excellent experience.

Room Tip: Definitely river view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

701 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wombourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at the Peninsula last month for the first few days of our visit to China and were impressed with the hotel and its location - the only drawback was the lack of customers in the hotel's bars and restaurants so generally we were the only people there.

A good safety aspect of the hotel was the room key which was similar to a Yale metal key and operated the bedroom and had to be inserted into the slot in the main lifts before you could chose your floor.

The service especially at breakfast was exemplary and it was nice to see other guests. There was a buffet containing all sorts of fruits, breads, meats, yoghurts etc, but we had cooked breakfast each day to sustain us during our sightseeing. Our choice was presented with only a very short wait and fresh orange juice and coffee were continually topped up.

Our room 713, had a huge walk in closet opposite the bathroom with a well lit mirror and plugs conveniently sited for the hairdryer which was one of the best I have used in any hotel it had an ion charge and gentle button and made my hair really smooth and no static, in fact I asked the concierge if I could buy one or where to buy one but they were unable to help. Another bonus in the dressing room was a nail dryer for your manicure - how great is that!!!

The black veined marble bathroom had two sinks, walk in shower, separate bath and loo (but no bidet). Thick white fluffy towels and bathrobes all bore the P monogram. One of my bottles of shower gel had leaked in my toiletries bag so I had to rinse it out and when I came back into the room the chambermaid had laid all the contents out in a tidy row for me. My husband had some shirts laundered and the service was very quick with the shirts returned as new.

The seating area of our room had a desk with free wifi connection and a telphone which advertised free international calls. I made one call home to confirm our safe arrival but when I tried to make another call the line was "unavailable". To the side of the desk was a comfy 2-seater sofa and a small round coffee table with fruit bowl and beautiful floral arrangement of fresh red roses in a square black lacquer box. A giant screen TV, video recorder and CD player formed the entertainment section. The refreshments cupbard had a choice of teas and a plumbed in Nespresso coffee machine so you didn't have to bother filling the water reservoir, beautifully patterned dainty porcelain cups and saucers complemented the beverage selection.

The windows had electronically operated net blinds and black out curtains but with the everchanging viiews of the Bund and the river traffic it was not a scene that you would want to close out.

Finally the bed - this was king size with freshly laundered white bedlinen each day, our bed had a duvet but not one of those great heavy things you get in some hotels it was light and comfortable and aided a good night's sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was very impressed with hotel grand Art Deco style I booked the regular rooms and asked for connecting rooms and got them on arrival I wanted to upgrade to a suite but the hotel was fully booked any way their was no need the rooms are big like Junior suites the connecting rooms have a privet door the rooms have a walk in closets even a nail dryer If you happen to need one ! The service is excellent the spa very good I was on a tour in china this was the last stop in main land china my kids where getting grumpy but once here no one wanted to leave my daughter had a cold that suddenly got better
The hotel has kid activities the only negative thing was that the pool was cold and that I got late charges of room service and mini bar that once one leaves its kind of inconvenient and difficult to remember , other wise it was great experience I highly recommend this hotel and if I ever come back to shanghai I would certainly stay here !

Stayed October 2012
Weston, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We arrived from Beijing on the amazing bullet train; an experience in itself and mistakenly opted to take a taxi rather than use the wonderful Peninsula pickup service. We were amazed when the line for cabs, which appeared to stretch forever, efficiently dispatched us to the hotel in 15 minutes (NYC and Amtrak would do well to try to emulate the Chinese in their efficiency).

The hotel is perfectly located in an ideal spot on the Bund, facing the famous Shanghai harbor. As is usual for the Peninsula, we were graciously whisked through reception and escorted to our room where our luggage had preceded us. We had reserved a harbor view room but thanks to our Andrew Harper membership, were upgraded to a fabulous suite, the size of a comfortable one bedroom apartment with a good sized living room overlooking the spectacular harbor. The Peninsula amenities, electronic and otherise are too numerous to list but the free worldwide internet telephone service is a wonderful bonus. The service exceeds expecations and the food in all of the restaurants was excellent. Needless to say we were reluctant to leave the hotel to explore the city.

I cannot say enough about this wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: It is well worth the extra charge for a harbor view room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed for 3 night in Shanghai. Since they picked us up from the airport, untill they brough us back to the airport, their service was excellent. The check in was done in our room, and the lady who did, explained all the facilities in the room. The room was quite spacious, beuaitufl and very modern, especially everything was controlled by electronic, that was impressive.
The gym was great, we could see the garden along the street, when we use treadmill. The spa was beautiful, only I rate 4 stars because my therapist was out of my expectation. However, beside this, breakfast, lanudry service, internet, and international calls service using skype system were great. If we have change to visit in Shanghai, we would love to back there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is great hotel. Good location on the bund. And you can walk to it from the nearest Metro/Tube station. Otherwise the room was very posh. With a lovely view, Double sinks in the bathroom. And excellent internet services available. Only downside was the the price of the breakfast. I found the prices on the breakfast menu a bit expensive. But that is to be expected if you're staying at a luxy hotel like the Peninsula. All in all, a good hotel. And highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This review is regarding of the incident happened in Peninsula Shanghai's
lobby on September 12. I slipped and fell in front of the elevator.
My right side of face and shoulder was hit pretty hard on the corn of
the marble wall, and my knees was hurt as well. That time I suffered an
concussion, and was not be able to get up by myself.

I have been suffering a lot, especially my face was so swell and covered with blues. Until today, after more than one month, my face is still puffand painful. When it happened, the duty manager gave me a bag of ice and let me sit in a business center room so not many other guests can see me, and I was sent home short after. I visited the doctor the second day because my face looked horrib and the pain and dizziness was getting worse. After I got the exam report, I contacted the duty manager via email with the pictures of my injured face and phone multiplte times, and want to find out what happened that night, and what caused the accident. Until today, they still didn't coordinate my request of investigation, didn't extend any apologizes, didn't want to take any responsibility. The duty manager even told me there is no any formal claim or compliant process, and refuse to connect me to the senior management.

I was very disappointed by the way Peninsula shanghai handled this matter, almost shocked. To me, five star hotel is more than fancy looking building, but rather the service. Frankly, there are many other wonderful hotels in the Bund offer much better service. Personally, I am going to boycott Peninsula hotels forever, and I will try my best to let People know about my horrifying experience.

can then discuss from there.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Peninsula Shanghai? Share your experiences!