“Fantastic quaint hotel in great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gallery Suites

You added Gallery Suites to your Saves list
Gallery Suites
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.525 Hengshan Road, Shanghai 200030, China (Xujiahui)   |
Ranked #162 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Auckland
“Fantastic quaint hotel in great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I had a weekend in Shanghai after a busy work week around the country. I spotted this place on special with Wotif and so glad I found it. The location in French Concession is marvelous - on a lovely tree-lined street and not far (easy walking distance) from train stations and with taxis outside the door. There is a nice park across the road, and within 10 minutes walk is Metro City and other large shopping malls.

The room was huge with lovely living area and massive work desk. the bed was oversize and very comfortable. bathroom again was very big with free-standing bath and large separate shower. The complimentary breakfast was good and there's a bar (Keven's Cafe) downstairs. I asked for a quiet room and the rear-facing room was certainly that. The decor is not typical hotel room and that makes it special. It was very clean and everything was in top order. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Great cafes, bars and restaurants tucked away around here!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I must admit, I was pretty upset with the way this hotel handled our booking because they were very dishonest and a couple of their staff did not handle the situation professionally. However, after our nice sleep, great breakfast and a relaxing time in the hotel, I was pleased with my stay in the end. This review is so they can work on communicating to their guests better, they can be honest and learn how to handle 3rd party bookings by outside websites.

Booking issues/dishonesty: We booked this hotel through Agoda and found a fab deal for me and my girlfriends of 3 people. We booked for the Grand Gallery Suites and had great email correspondence with Helen, who was kind and helped out with giving us a confirmation letter stating our names and the room we booked, which helped iwth our visa applications to China. We were very excited to stay in this gorgeous hotel and I was bragging about how amazing it will be!
We arrived late on Friday night only to be put in room 103, the Art Deco room - which is the cheaper / smaller option located right by the gym, restaurant and 'looby'. It was not a great location for the room but still very well decorated. I came downstairs to the manager on duty and was told the Grand Gallery Suites were sold out. Funny as I had paid for the Grand Gallery Suites, and they gave me the cheaper room with no spare bed (as we had three people). She told me that we can change rooms the following day. Fine, no worries. Let's get some sleep and sort it out then, possibly get some money back for paying extra for the cheaper room.

The following day, we received a call asking when we would like to change our room. I said, sure - after breakfast. We came down to organise the change with the man and woman at the desk. When we arrived, they again told us they were fully booked and we can't change the room. Well, why did we come down? Why tell us we can change the room??
Then they told us that Agoda said we Art Deco/Grand Gallery Suites - so 'the hotel can choose which room'. Then what is the point of booking through the site and paying extra when you will choose the room for us? As I pushed to get my confirmation letter back from them (I handed it to them on the Friday night), it took awhile and I finally got it. Showed them my confirmation from their end stating, Grand Gallery Suites. They called their reservations manager and after about 3 minutes in Chinese, they hung up and said, "OK, we can change your room to Grand Gallery Suites". WAIT - I thought you JUST said you were fully booked? It took quite some time and a lot of pushing (which I don't want to do on my holiday) to get some honesty from them. In the end, I thanked them for finally getting it all organise and sorting it out. We were VERY happy with our new room and showed them our appreciation.

The stay/experience:
I really enjoyed the bed, our sleep was fabulous until we had our door bell ring about 5 x at 9 AM for a room clean! Please, please please - clean the room when some people are out of the hotel/after breakfast/lunch whatever.
The amenities were glorious! The shower was amazing! The decor in general was absolutely gorgeous.
However, they really need to add a bathroom door. My gf's and I had to leave when someone was not feeling well and needed the toilet. I just don't get it - why no door??? It's not arty, it's not the 'new trend' or anything, it's actually a pointless and ridiculous 'feature' to the hotel.

The breakfast: Not bad! Glad to have some fresh fruit, omelette station and most of all - A COFFEE MACHINE! I was a happy guest.

Again, at the beginning, we were very much NOT impressed with how they handled our reservation. However, in the end, we all agreed we still had an enjoyable stay and would definitely come back + recommend this to others.

Room Tip: Double check your reservation, especially if you are booking through another website and not directl...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

This is generally a good hotel, but if you are unfortunate enough to be assigned Room 103 like me, you better insist to have it changed IF they still have other rooms available. Essentially they divide their typical room into 3 parts, 2/3 of it becomes the gym, and the rest is room 103. Not only will you hear people working out in the gym in the morning, but you will also hear some terrible Karaoke singing at the bar just outside of the room. There is also no desk inside the room so I am basically typing this comment with my laptop in the gym.

All other rooms that my friends stay in are fine, big with good decor. One of my friends saw cockroach in her room though.

Room Tip: Just stay away from room 103
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The pros: Great location in a nice part of the city, huge rooms nicely and interestingly decorated in Art Deco style, great value for the price, with free breakfast and wifi. When I left the hotel because I could not stand the noise, they refunded the money for the unused nights although they did not have to (very admirable and probably not the rule in China).

The cons: Most important one for me was lots of noise from the busy road the hotel is on, including lots of honking (that is just how the Chinese drive). Breakfast is a little thin on choices if you come late. The hotel staff seems to have poor communication across shifts because I requested a specific quiet room, and was twice assured they would have it when I come back for the day - but when I finally came back, tired, they had given it to somebody else.

Room Tip: If you like quiet, stay away from this hotel. O r at least request rooms facing the back.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

The "boutique" and "suite" concept in hotels is well established now, and this is a great example of both. It was my first trip to China and I found the humane proportions of this art deco building in the French Concession a good way of easing into the gigantism of China. Place had been recommended by a friend who does a lot of work in China. I am grateful.

Room a terrific size. with a claw-foot bathtub on a slightly raised platform, which has hidden by the massive TV which swiveled from sofa area towards bed. Very decadent.

My friend said the big drawback at hotel was lousy breakfast. Not the night I stayed. It was large and international: full Chinese, or Nordic European or French continental were the buffet choices.

Ten Minute walk to underground meant I saved a bomb on taxi fare getting to Hongqiao train station for fast train to Beijing. I could have done same on my one evening in town but took taxi to Bund - it wasn't all that expensive.

Front of house helpful, if a trifle brusque. They had a spare conversion plug for my Mac. Wi-fi was good -although frustrating at first. 70% of websites I visit regularly are blocked by Chinese government. Silly.

Price - booked online - was very reasonable. Comparable hotel for room size, facilities, and location in Manhattan, London or Paris would easily cost double.

Hope work takes me to Shanghai again soon and I will happily stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a good all round choice for Shanghai. The rooms are very big, with good decor and clean. As other people have mentioned the bathroom doesn't have a door, bit it is tucked around a corner.

The location in the old French Concession is great and makes for easy access to various parts of the city. The majority of the staff speak good English and the breakfast was OK.

This isn't top end 5 star, but for the price it is very good and you can't really go wrong. Hotels can be hit and miss in China and this is definitely a hit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is a work in progress. In fact, when I was there the restaurant and fitness center were under renovation.

Great location - Hengshan Road is a beautiful tree lined street in the former French Concession area. The hotel is a 5-7 minute walk from the subway and a few short stop will bring you to Xintiandi or People's Park and the museums. There are a number of restaurants about 10 minutes walk away, including a Starbuck's for those in need.

The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The bathrooms are a bit strange, notably the lack of a bathroom door (you get a bead curtain instead). This arrangement may be more comfortable for the solo traveler. The staff is friendly and helpful with a reasonable standard of English.

Call it 3 starts, but better than a local 3 star as the hotel does work well with international travelers.

Room Tip: Other reviews suggest going with a room away from the street. I was away from the street and the noi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Gallery Suites? Share your experiences!