“Don't stay here - rude staff and cockroaches” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hidden Garden International Youth Hostel

Hidden Garden International Youth Hostel
You added Hidden Garden International Youth Hostel to your Saves list
Hidden Garden International Youth Hostel
Jia No.834-840 Pudong Avenue, Pudong New Area, Shanghai 200120, China (Lujiazui)   |
Ranked #62 of 144 Specialty Lodging in Shanghai
London, United Kingdom
“Don't stay here - rude staff and cockroaches”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2015

This is the most we paid for accommodation in our month in China, and it was by far the worst service

The staff are the rudest I've ever met. when you ask for help, they just point at the communal computer and tell you to do it yourself. they are not willing to give any advice on where to go,ticket bookings, etc. They will make you feel like you are a nuisance when asking questions

We saw a cockroach in our room on the first night. the room also has mold and the bathroom is smelly

I would have rated this zero is it trip advisor allowed it

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

• Polish first
Shanghai Region, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2015

After a long flight from Belgium I came into this hostel. The room had no windows, was superdamp, and the bathroom was really dirty. I booked a room for 4 days but decided to leave after one night. The bunkbeds were also really old.

I do believe in summertime this could be a good hostel, since they have a nice garden, but at least ask for a room with a window if you go there.

I must say that the staff was friendly, and they gave back my money (for the other 3 nights) without a problem.

Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014

First of all, the location is really undesirable. Contrary to what the online directions are from the hostel, it's closer to a 15-20 minute walk from the nearest metro station, especially with a backpack. Not to mention the last part of the walk there is down the sketchiest alley- I was a bit nervous as a solo female traveler walking down there when I arrived late at night.

The hostel itself has a strange vibe, because a large majority of the guests are 30+ year old Chinese people who seem to be living at the hostel long-term. I met no other western travelers there though I spent my free time in the common area. Speaking of, the common area is a very cold place to hang out because they always have the doors open (even though there are signs on them that say 'please keep doors closed' ha!), so it's chilly in November.

The rooms are really basic- I found it odd that you have to make your own beds. Putting a duvet cover on was an adventure for me. I've never stayed in a hostel where you have to make your own beds and I've been traveling in Asia for over five months. The bathrooms were tiny (you have to squeeze to get in the door bc of where the sink is placed) and absolutely disgusting when I moved in, though they cleaned them the next day (giant clumps of hair all over the floor, no toilet paper, sink counter soaked and dirty etc).

Staff was friendly enough, wifi worked fine usually in the common area, weak in the rooms- but other than that, it's not worth staying here, especially for what you pay (I MIGHT deal with it if it was like $3USD). Look elsewhere- I'd recommend a hostel on/near Nanjing Road, I know there are a few there and they're supposed to be nice!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

the hostel is fine if you want to spare money. The location if fine even if located near dirty homes. The welcome is so so. The stair to go to rooms is not convenient if you have big luggage. But good in a good place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Shanghai Hidden Garden is 'hidden' in that it is about a 100 meter walk down a narrow road off of Pudong Avenue. It's got a great atmosphere, a friendly vibe. The staff is warmhearted and helpful. The owners are onsite. Metro is a ten minute walk away. Clean sheets. Great little noodle shops nearby. We stayed in a private room for three weeks and were happy here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Hostel World rated this hostel as 61%. Now I see why. When I arrived at the entrance of the lane this hostel is located on, I saw slums for migrant workers. I thought "you've go to be joking, right? Is THIS it?" It took me a while to figure out that these slums were NOT the hostel. When I looked to my right, at the end of the lane I recognized some of the buildings from the hostels YHA listing. Once inside however, the hostel provided a pleasant atmosphere and the staff were friendly. Great western breakfast as well. A bit shoddy on the cleaning. There was a sign in Chinese and English saying that they clean the room between 1-3 pm but they didn't always clean thoroughly. Also I could only get one TV station and the light next to my bed wasn't working properly. While I wouldn't give the same rating as Hostel World I do give it a score of 75%.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

if you go there for the expo, try book elsewhere, and book early. the rooms on the back don't have window, so the rooms get very smelly because of the humidity. rooms are clean. shower in each room and well maintained.
one room I stayed in had an AC unit that blow hot air. :) my fellow HK roommates were sweating as hell. The hostel staff. they are not very experimented, but will do their best to help, which turns out is not much. they can't offer any tour itinerary. I never saw hostel staff tellin you to take taxi to a X place.
location is ok if you check it on google map, but after a full day of expo walk, you will hate their location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hidden Garden International Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!