“Umm..... Well at least the rooms were clean.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dazhong Airport Hotel

Save Saved
You added Dazhong Airport Hotel to your Saves list
Dazhong Airport Hotel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   No.6001 Yingbin Avenue, Pudong New Area, Shanghai 201202, China (Pudong International Airport)   |
Ranked #622 of 3,734 hotels in Shanghai
Auckland
“Umm..... Well at least the rooms were clean.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Oh dear lets start with the positives..... Had a reasonably short flight in and was pleased I was able to walk from the terminal to my hotel (about 10minute walk from customs at the most), so if you are looking for something close to the airport then you really can't beat it.

Facilities were clean. I arrived at 11:30pm and wanted a beer and a quick snack and was pleased to learn the room service was available until 5am. I ordered the soy duck dish and a beer. The duck was probably the oldest duck in China, judging by how tough the meat was, however I was able to wash it down with the luke warm beer that arrived. However, after a 10 minute argument with the waiter who brought my meal I finally convinced him to walk to the other end of the floors I was on (same as the hotel bar) to get me some ice and a glass to drink my beer in...

Check inn was simply a joke. Receptionist number 3048 would have to be the rudest hotel staff member i have encountered in a long time, and throwing my room key across the counter demonstrated her complete lack of interest in customer service. However, the poor guest checking in next to me didn't have better luck, the person checking him in was just as bad and looking at all the staff they were sitting there yawning, sleeping on the counter and generally mimicking an episode of faulty towers... Quite comical actually.

In summary, if you NEED to stay near the hotel (as I did unfortunately), then you will not have to worry about safety, and the rooms are clean. Just take a deep breath when you walk in the front doors and try and ignore the absolute rudeness of the staff and you will be fine! For the USD80 I was charged, compared to other hotels in Shanghai, facility wise it was fine. As mentioned earlier, I can't recall staying in a hotel with such bad service so hard to compare.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

443 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Southport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This hotel is the worst hotel I have stayed in and let me tell you why. The staff are so so so rude and very unhelpful, when I booked in there was about 10 people waiting there was 6 staff behind the counter and just 1 seeing to the guest. People complained and they just laughed like a bunch of kids... They where so rude too every one and I was there 40 mins just to check in.. The rooms smelled very bad and very very dirty... When we checked out at 6.00am there was 5 staff again only 1 serving we waited another 35 min... NEVER NEVER STAY HERE!!!!!!

Room Tip: He is my tip ( do not stay here )
Wellington New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

As we had a 10.15pm departure from the airport we arranged with our Shanghai hotel receptionist who spoke Chinese to book a taxi and organise a 3/4 hour stay at Dazhong Airport hotel so we could shower and repack. The staff at Dazhong Airport hotel are unhelpful but we knew that from previous reports on TripAdvisor but it is so convenient. We had a very nice room and shower with shampoo and bath gel and thick towels. We went to the 'bridge' between the two lots of accommodation to have a drink at the bar. The beer was okay, the whole area was very old fashioned but the view of the airport and the sun setting was pleasant enough.
We went down in the lift outside reception and it was a few minutes walk into the airport so a great location. The checkout is at another desk which is nuisance.
We did notice at the right hand side of reception a place where you can possibly have a shower and have your baggage looked after which would have been cheaper than the hotel. We are unable to find anything about it on the internet and didn't have time to get their business card. It appears that the owners lease the area from the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was surprised to see that the place was opened in 2008. I'd have thought it was set up in about 1958. I stayed there on the night of 26th September, 2013. I had booked through elong.com in July and since I was to arrive about 11 p.m., I went through the process of guaranteeing my room (non-smoking) by providing credit card details, etc. to elong. Imagine my surprise when at 11 p.m. I arrived to find that no room had been allocated to me. Two stinking rooms were offered, each of which I refused. After refusing the two offered on the musty, stinking secnd floor, the surly receptionists told me that since I had arrived late, there were very few rooms still available. Booking through elong.com two months in advance and providing credit card details by way of guarantee of arrival meant nothing to this place, it seems. I got a third room on floor 5 and found then that they do, indeed, have a 'non-smoking' floor. That room was shabby and bady designed. There was a circular bed whose presence was explained by the fact that a rectangular one would have had difficulty in fitting into the room. The only soap was a small circular bar such as is found in central China two-star hotels. This had to be used both in the shower and at the hand basin. The w.c. had the Chinese low-cost obligatory receptacle for used toilet paper beside it. The TV set was on an ugly chipped stand whose door hung awry. At least, floor five did not have the stink of floor 2. The cost of the 'standard room' was 458 RMB, an outrageous amount given the sloppy quality of the place. As any traveller to China knows, 458 can get a decent four or five star hotel room in most places. The surly receptionists demanded 800 RMB by way of deposit lest I should take it into my head to trash the room or to purloin the bar of soap. The room was at least quiet. Check-out was lengthy to say the least. When I arrived at the check-out at 8 a.m., there were two queues, each of 6 people. The two attendants seemed to process half an Amazonian forest through their dot-matrix printer to deal with each guest. They were slow and surly. All in all, I found the place an absolute disgrace and could recommend the place to no one. I had noticed quite a few hotel stands open just beyond Customs and Immigration. These were the offices of places that ran a shuttle service to their hotels just behond the airport. I'd certainly have taken one of these in preference to the Dazhong had I known what I'd find. Certainly I will next time I arrive late. I often stay at the Ambassador Transit Hotel in Terminal 3 of Changi Airport in Singapore. Their price is similar and the quality of the rooms is such as to make the Dazhong seem positively third world. Whoever manages the Dazhong appears to be a graduate in management from a Hubei or Hunan two-star establishment far from any city of any size. I note that many reviewers of this hotel, when writing in Chinese, think the place is fine - but that would indicate to me an unfamiliarity with the quality that one might reasonably expect for 458 RMB and from an international airport. The Dazhong gives Shanghai all the quality of some backwoods place in Africa. The most ridiculous moment of my experience was when, upon arriving at the second of the stinking smoke-ridden rooms, a room attendant turned up with a small bottle of some sort of pink spray with which she intended masking the cigarette smoke that permeated the place - no doubt for just long enough for me to accept the room. But I've seen that old trick more than once in China and so was unmoved.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We've just stayed at Dazhong for one night and never again. There are two desks in the North hotel, but nothing to say check in on this one and pay your dues at the other. The staff are impolite, arrogant and really don't want to help. I notice they had numbers on their badges, not names, does the management think we have no idea how to pronounce Chinese names or perhaps the staff are just numbers?
The signature bar was a complete rip-off. The sign says it's open until 1am, we turned up at 12.30am after a very delayed flight from Beijing and got told it was closed, fortunately they still served us after us insisting the sign said otherwise. The prices were through the roof and the measures were so meagre compared to the rest of China.
The room was OK, the bed was alright and it was a reasonable size (we'd booked a King business room). That's it, the sheets were ripped, the pillows (one each) had rice (or something similar) in - why is this, did they think I'd be hungry in the night? The bathroom vanity was stained and the floor VERY slippery when wet. The shower had a rain shower which wasn't bad. There was no wi-fi. The only hot drink available in room was green tea. For a hotel at an airport with possible international clientele why is there no coffee or English Tea?
Woken early morning by cleaners in the room next door and car horns, NOT by planes...
That's all I can say. Oh, nice view.

Room Tip: I dread to think what a standard room is like... The King room in the north hotel was a good size if...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

It is hard to find how best to book a room at this hotel. I used Otel.com booking system and paid the same as trhe rack rate shown in the lobby. The entrance to the hotel is via a lift shaft that literally straddles the Maglev/Airport entrance. Its 10 min walk from T1 along the walkways.

There are two sides to the hotel best summarised as Economy (North) and "Luxury" (South) . I chose the latter. However on getting to my turn at reception (a very slow process) it was like starting again i.e. what sort of room do you want? Smoking or not? Then passed over the person who handles payment. Asked for an additional 200RMB deposit as security. I paid.

Charm was not one of the strong points of the staff. Its an example of what happens when a government authority tries to run a hotel.

Had a room at end of corridor with nice view over airport. Room was ok, a little ragged, worn and basic but could have been much worse. Large shower and ability to work at small desk with internet.Working air conditioning.

I put my head down for a few hours and then checked out, reclaiming, I hope, my 200RMB from the uncheery reception desk.

I would stay again for a brief stop by if transit was the only option.

Room Tip: I always ask for a high elevation room.
Shanghai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

There's one and only one reason to stay at this hotel: the location. It's the only hotel within walking distance of the airport's two terminals - reached via walkway after 5 - 10 mins. So, if you don't want to take a cab or shuttle, then this is your place.

HOWEVER. The rooms are dingy (carpets worn) and a little dated. There is no wifi in the rooms - so if you have a tablet, forget connecting it. You'll need a device that can plug in. Meanwhile, the front desk staff is under-trained and overwhelmed. Check-in was a chaotic nightmare. As for check-out - mine went okay, but the guy next to me wasn't able to convince the staff that he had left some documents for their safe care. Not good.

Amazing that an airport which fashions itself an up-and-coming Asian hub offers such a grubby mess as the only on-site hotel option. A little competition would be good for this joint. Still, if you have to stay here, you'll be fine. But only just.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Dazhong Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!