“Lovely place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai

Save Saved
You added The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai to your Saves list
The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.740 Hankou Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200001, China (People's Square)   |
Special Offer
Flash Sale and 50% off
Ranked #18 of 3,734 hotels in Shanghai
Shanghai, China
“Lovely place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I got an extremely good deal on my stay here - it was one of those "mystery hotel" deals from Wotif, although I'd done my research and I was well aware that it was going to be this hotel. This obviously colours my perception of my stay, as I paid about half the standard rate.

Check-in was a little dodgy: the staff at reception had no record of my booking. After a bit of discussion between themselves, they decided to believe me when I said I'd already booked and paid for the room, and checked me in. They dealt with the question of booking amongst themselves and directly with Wotif, and didn't disturb me about it until they'd resolved everything: I was impressed at how little this misunderstanding affected me. I did also have to remind them that my booking included free Internet (otherwise it's RMB 120 per day), but again they checked this and sorted it out to my satisfaction.

The lobby is lovely; it's among the best 1920s renovations I've seen anywhere. And my room was really very nice too. Again, the 1920s-style renovation was done beautifully - it was a very stylish room indeed. The bed was exceptionally comfortable, and there was a good chair and a nice big work desk. The Internet fee would have been pretty steep if it hadn't been included in my special deal, but Internet access was fast and easy.

A lot of hotels in China in this price range limit their foreign TV to news and sports channels, which is annoying after a long day at work. The Langham had HBO, AXN, National Geographic and Discovery: it was good to be able to watch some mindless entertainment. And there's a DVD player in the bedroom, with a USB socket, so you can watch your own DVDs and downloads (legal ones only, of course) too.

The bathroom was something special. It looked great, but it was functional too: the shower was excellent - nice and powerful, and with plenty of room in the shower cubicle. And the bath was enormous, and deep, and it had a TV at the end. (Note to guests: when you use the bathroom TV, the sound may seem very muffled. The speaker is in the cupboard under the bathroom sink - if you open the cupboard, the sound improves dramatically.)

I was there for business, but one day I had flu and had to postpone a meeting. I had an afternoon nap on the lovely comfortable bed, and then woke up and had a hot, deep bath while watching a James Bond film on HBO. I had room service that day, too - it was delicious, and it was delivered promptly. I felt rested and recovered enough after all that to get back to work the next day.

The location is great: you're one small block from People's Square, and two small blocks from Nanjing Road Pedestrian Area. It's less than 50 metres to the entrance to People's Square Metro station, and a short walk to The Bund. There's a very big food court in the basement of Raffles Plaza across the road from the hotel. The location would be great for tourists, but it was also very good for me, as it was on the Metro line and midway between my meetings in Pudong and Puxi. In spite of the very central location and the low rooms (I was on the 3rd floor), it was surprisingly quiet: the double glazing did an excellent job.

Even if I'd paid the normal price for my room, I'd have been very happy with this hotel. As it was, I was delighted. The room was lovely; the lobby was beautiful, the location was perfect, and the service was brilliant.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

443 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Korean first
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Nice hotel with a history. We were welcomed in the room with classic chinese music played on TV :)

Plus :
- Room was quite big with balcony
- Bathroom size & layout is superb + with TV
- Great Amenities & room facilities
- Fantastic location

Minus :
- Breakfast : Eggs Benedict was good, but the choice is very limited
- Cleanliness can be improved a bit as we found few water spots on the closet.

Room Tip: rooms with balcony
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed with our children for 8 days and had a great stay at Langham. Very friendly and helpful staff. We felt very welcome and the staff made an effort to make us feel welcome and comfortable. Large, great rooms. We will definitely come back.

guangzhou
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We only stayed one night, but it was great. We were lucky to be upgraded to a suite, the most luxurious room we have ever stayed in, and the bathroom was massive. All the usual little touches that you associate with the Langham, iPod alarm clock, nice coffee machines etc.we paid the additional RMB580 to upgrade to club status, giving us breakfast and happy hour in the bar, well worth doing if you plan on having breakfast in the hotel and a couple of drinks in the evening, although there is plenty of choice out and about, so not completely necessary.
It was my birthday on the day we checked out and the staff had prepared a cake for me, which was a lovely touch.
Is pricey, but for 5 star hotel, in Shanghai, this is to be expected. Would stay again

Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Many good remarks had been written about this boutique and rather unique hotel.,thus it was with high anticipation when i decided to check it out.
To begin wiith it is just a block off the famous Nanjing pedestrian street which is a hate or like it street.,blooming with herds of tourists as well as scammers at times.Neverthelss it is actually a beautiful and colourful street and i would actually advice foreign tourists to at least walk this street once.
As a coincidence as our apartment needed some renovations done,we
had taken this opportunity to check out the Langhams.,and what better way to do it through an independent website booking.
Thus we got Agoda to secure a room ,nonrefundable package at the Art Deco Junior Suite room with a 25%discount.The price is quite a bargain considering that an enormous room of 50sqm with a separate hall,a spacious toilet and another small washroom,good size bedroom with an equally good size bed.
The hotel voucher had also clearly stated the Art Deco Junior Suite and as precautionary measure i had
actually informed the reception as well about the junior suite room.Checking in was quite uneventful just like most hotels after having to wait 2 hours for room to be ready as we were early.
Hotel is on a small size,it would beautifully fit in as a hideaway if not for the ultrabusy Nanjing street nearby., with the highest at 8th level.,equally small sized lifts but well decorated with old shanghainese charm.In fact the lobby and corridors are also nicely donewith welldone paintings and deco and high back antique chairs lending a charm to the old shanghai feel.
Having said all that ,we were brought up to our room in the super small lift at the 6th level.It has a small sized balcony ,a not too big and slight crammed bathroom,ok sized bed but rather high as probably it is made to cater to more expats.For most asians it wouldnt be surprising that they find their legs hanging in mid air.
Now im very sure we are not in the right room.From what i had seen from the website photos this room probably fits in as the Shanghai grand.,a rather small sized room at about 38sqm.A quick phone call to the reception was rather disappointing as they were rather evasive.Withou t checking..
further they hadreplied that it s the correct room.Thus this followed a second phone call and i insisted that she look through the hotel voucher carefully,another evasive and unconvincing reply .This time the excuse was that they had run out off junior suite room.,and so...for the day we need
to settle with the grand room.No earnest mention of any apologies for the burden caused and the profuse excuses given earlier.However we were told that they will upgrade us to a better than a art deco junior suite the next day.
This is not i have in mind and also not i am seeking for.Im actually looking for a remote hint of proper apology by way of words or some gestureof sorts.A setback was that the room would not be ready early the next day,it would be afternoon or later.,and so since im always a busy guy i told them we would check into our new room late at night.
So with our tired and fatique legs we checked into a new room at the 7th floor.,at about 10pm.Again what a disappointment that there was a lack of commitment from the hotel side as its the junior suite room and not a better one as was promised the night before by the staff. I
wouldnt have minded though but what glaring mistake and lack of professionalim from the hotel management is,there was no proper explanation henceforth about compensation or even deductions on staying in a cheaper room on the first night. They would need to explain on the discrepancy of roomrates involved and the clear breach of contract involved.
Somehow im not too sure whether a less than impressive room was given to us hopefully unnoticed since we had booked through a discount website???
On checking out after 4 nights,still eager n panting
forapology ,we were left disappointed as none seems likely.In fact they dont make mistake on billing 40Rmb for a bottle of evian water.
Having stayed in countless hotels big or small,this rather easy to solve mistake would actually be handled properly by the hotel management to pacify the guest.,not just blaring excuses over the phone.
From the look of the hotel and the physical assets of theinterior ,it is not difficult to make it a pleasant stay for many guests.But it is a shameful waste when this attributes are wasted and guests are left wandering what had happened to basic values of professionalism.Certainly it wouldnt take much for the management to go out an extra limb to atone for giving the wrong rooms and some empty promises.
i had never encountered such blatant mistake in other 5 star hotels.,some small mistake on the hotel part are usually tackled with efficiency and some geniuene apologies easily makes the guests grinning.I am not sure that this mistake was reported to the seniors or not but grossly it was handled in a very badway with a bad aftertaste.

Room Tip: hopefull this bad experience doesnt happen to other website booking guests too.
Anaheim
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

This was the third time we stated at the Langham. Twice before it was renovated and this was the fist time since thay completely renovated. The Rooms are now twice the size as the old and the bathrooms are all marble and fantastic. Service was excellent as was the limosine ride to and from the Pudong airport. The hotel is one block from the Peoples Park, across the street from a hugh shopping center with a food court in the lower level and an easy walking distance from the Bund. Beds are first rate, everything very clean and staff friendly. The breakfast buffet that came with the room is modest but good and filling. Everything is Art Deco and the bar is a good place to meet friends. Guests are greeted by name. Hotel is small so you are not just another room number.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room so you can test the weather before you leave
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Paranaque, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

One of the things I consider in booking a hotel are the rooms. The Langham Yangtze Boutique did not disappoint. It was nice, cozy and clean. The bathroom is spacious and clean. Our room was quite spacious too. The location of the hotel is very accessible - short walk to Nanjing Road so you can just easily go shopping. Overall, if we have the chance to go back to Shanghai we will stay at The Langham Yangtze Boutique again.

Room Tip: Art Deco Room is spacious. We had an extra bed for our teenage daughter and we still had space to mo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai? Share your experiences!