“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai

Save Saved
You added The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai to your Saves list
The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.740 Hankou Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai 200001, China (People's Square)   |
Special Offer
Flash Sale and 50% off
Ranked #19 of 3,741 hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong, China
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

I have to travel to Shanghai each month for business and used to test a different hotel each time, hoping to find a better one.
Since my first stay in Yangtze, I decided to stay loyal for several reasons:
- outstanding rooms: regardless of the room category, very nice decoration with the old Shanghai atmosphere (I loved the music, but it has changed few months ago). Rooms are very clean, except once when I could not sleep well due to allergy to presence of dust (probably), but this never happened again after I shared with the reception desk.
- technology: wifi available throughout the hotel, ipod dock, etc.
- convenient location in People's Square.
- very friendly staff. Whenever I arrive at the hotel, it is always a pleasure to be welcomed with a genuine smile, a kind word and a rose! I could see a great improvement on the concierge staff attitude, as it was one of the hotel's main weakness few months ago (in the past the door man would stay inside the hotel and look at you opening the taxi door and lifting the luggage!).
- attention to details: extra services like scented pillows, amenities, etc. The hotel has well noted my preferences, and I am glad to find my teapot and adaptor in my room, without having to ask for it. I also appreciate the free room upgrades I am offered. These few stays I have been upgraded to a very nice room with steam room and jaccuzzi. When I checked out and after I expressed my satisfaction on the room category, the receptionist told me she would try to upgrade me to this kind of room in the future whenever it is available.

I think the hotel could still improve on the spa (the therapist who did my treatments could not perform a decent facial) and on new comers' training to be more responsive.
A last point, but this is personal, i think housekeeping should not automatically throw used amenities. Instead, add new AND keep used ones as well to limit waste of resources.
But overall is a very good experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
FO-Management2011, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Dear Ms. Diep,

We would like to express our sincere gratitude for taking the time and effort to provide us with comments on your stay with us at The Langham Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai.
We are glad to see that you have had a comfortable and pleasant stay.

On behalf of The Langham Yangtze Boutique, We would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to share your experiences with us. Your comments and suggestions will be shared with our Management Teams.

We would like to thank you for choosing the Langham Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights after receiving an upgrade to a Junior suite through Wotif.
The hotel is painstakingly recreated in the art deco style and the rooms contain every conceivable comfort, including over sized baths and bathroomTV.
The staff were very attentive and easy to communicate with.
All in all, it is an excellent hotel in the heart of Shanghai and just a street away from Nanjing road.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
FO-Management2011, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

We are delighted to hear that you have had a comfortable stay with us this month. On behalf of The Langham Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, we would like to thank you for taking the time, and effort, to share your wonderful comments with us.

Furthermore, we would like to thank you for choosing the Langham Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Danvers, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

You can stay at larger hotel, you could stay at more costly hotels, but you will never stay at a hotel where you will be treated with the quality of service, care, kindness and professionalism you will receive at The Langham Yangtze.

The Langham is an exceptionally well-maintained, immaculate boutique hotel, which possesses a unique combination of NYC, Europe and old Shanghai rolled up into one.

Location is perfectly located with Nanjing Road, People's Park, and The Bund all close. Metro is 100 feet from the front door.

From the lobbies, hallways or the beautiful stained glass over the stairway, nothing is missed; beautiful decorations and whimsical pieces are beautifully framed and hung in the halls to surprise you at every turn. Many are period pieces from the Shanghai art deco era. The Spa floor has gorgeous "Moon" arches in the hallways.

The rooms are well appointed with generous baths, comfortable beds, a great pillow menu and well lit. The housekeeping staff is delightful and will keep your room in perfect order.

Ciao restaurant is a wonderful place to dine, the superb breakfast buffet a delicious way to start your day in Shanghai.

Chuan Spa is exceptional. I have been in many spas in China; this is a true oasis of serenity, traditionally decorated with luxurious features. A place to unwind, relax and reset your dials from travel or work. It also has some of the best Traditional Chinese Masseuses around.

The Bar on the second floor is a perfect spot to begin an evening, entertain guests, clients or simply enjoy a quiet drink on one of the couches.

Service in any venue of The Langham is impeccable.

The very professional, capable, pleasant and enjoyable front desk staff will take care of whatever you need without a second thought.

The concierge desk can provide excellent recommendations for activities, directions and reservations. They will even perform some magic when you decide at 4:40PM on a Saturday to dine in a place which is...they can get in.

I travel a lot, I travel alone and I often travel over holidays or other celebratory times. I happened to be in Shanghai over my birthday this year.
As I stepped off the elevator that morning the first words I heard were, "Happy Birthday!" I received a card signed by the staff along with other gifts in my room; as my dessert arrived at "Jean Georges", it was a birthday cake sent by the General Manager of The Langham.

None of these exquisite moments happen in other hotels.

This is not merely a hotel; it is an experience, enjoyable, fun, exciting and beautiful. It is run and tuned like a fine Swiss watch, but more importantly what sets this hotel above any other is the quality of the people you will work with, kind, smart, professional, thoughtful, caring and a joy to be around . They will make you feel at home.

One time, while travelling with an associate, I said, "You know how to STAY in a hotel; I know how to LIVE in a hotel."

The Langham is where I LIVE when I am in Shanghai.
The Langham is my HOME in Shanghai.
The Langham is my FAMILY when I am in Shanghai.

There is one downside to staying at The Langham Yangtze and it is eventually you have to leave and I hate leaving there.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
FO-Management2011, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, July 17, 2011
Dear Mr. McKinnon,

We would like to express our sincere and heartfelt gratitude for your wonderful comments on your stay with us, at The Langham Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai. We are glad to see that your stay with us was delightful and that it includes lasting memories.

On behalf of The Langham Yangtze Boutique, We would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to share your experiences with us, extensively. Your wonderful comments have been shared with all of our colleagues with great pride.

We would like to thank you for choosing the Langham Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai and we look forward to welcoming you back to your Langham Family.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

My boyfriend and I recently stayed here for 5 nights and as part of their 'Linger longer for less' offer, we enjoyed the most beautiful Deluxe room with breakfast and internet included. After we had booked this hotel, I found some reviews that didn't sing this hotel's praises but honestly I had the best stay. The service was outstanding, the room was excellent and staff were always polite and went out of their way to right our destinations for each day in chinese characters for the taxi driver. It was birthday whilst in Shanghai and I even returned to our room to find a birthday cheesecake (delicious!!) and a card signed by the staff - such a nice touch!!
The location of the hotel was also ideal - right by Remnin Park, Nanjing Road and a 25-30 minute walk from The Bund. Taxi's were so cheap and easy to get from nearby so often took the lazy option.
We didn't eat in the restaurants in the hotel, but the breakfast buffet offered great choice and was a high standard. There was even complimentary use of the spa to hotel guests. All in all, would definitely recommend, and would stay there again!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
FO-Management2011, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for choosing the Langham Yangzte Boutique, Shanghai. We are delighted to hear that you have had a pleasant stay with us. On behalf of The Langham Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, we would like to express our sincere gratitude for your wonderful comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

My husband and I spent eight nights at this wonderful small hotel located in what is referred to as downtown Shanghai. We checked in early evening and by the next morning everyone knew our name. The entire staff is very friendly and willing to help in any way. We added, to our room rate, the Club package which included a full buffet breakfast in the Ciao restaurant, wine and spirits along with hors d'oeuvres from 5:30-7:30 PM served at The Bar, free internet, and other goodies. The restaurant offerings are varied with a nice selection along with fabulous food. In fact, we ate all dinners there trying each restaurant more than once. The T'ang Court is a 2 star Michelin serving Cantonese specialties. Mado Izakaya Japanese serving traditional sashimi, tempura, and yakitori. Ciao is Italian with a fantastic menu. After dinner we could stroll over two blocks and be in the heart of the action on Nanjing Lu pedestrian mall where something was always happening. Overall the hotel offers a quiet, peaceful location, in a busy metropolis.
The only minor downside we found was The Bar does not open until 5:30. Sometimes, we would return to the hotel around 4:00 (since we seemed to pick the week producing a lot of rain) it would have been relaxing to stop at The Bar for refreshments but the option was not available. Some of the waitstaff did not speak English very well but their friendly attitude made up for any short coming. This hotel is managed very well by Hank Meyknecht. We will certainly stay here on our next visit hopefully in the fall.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
FO-Management2011, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, July 10, 2011
Dear Mr. & Mrs. White,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us, on behalf of The Langham Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai. Moreover, we are delighted to hear that you have had a pleasant stay with us last month and that you will be returning to our Hotel soon. Your suggestions have been shared with our Management Team.

We would like to thank you for choosing the Langham Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

We loved our stay here. We had an Art Deco Junior Suite. Room was large, bed was so comfortable. Front of house staff were attentive and helpful. It is a great location in the CBD so by 6.30 at night there is very little traffic noise. We will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
FO-Management2011, Manager at The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

On behalf of The Langham Yangtze Boutique, Shanghai, we would like to thank you for your wonderful comments. We are delighted to hear that you have had a wonderful stay with us.

Thank you for choosing The Langham Yangtze Boutique Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Stayed here 3 nights and i can honestly say the personalised service provided here was pure gold.

Location
Right outside of the people's square stop exit #14, right in the middle of downtown Shanghai, 5 minutes walk from the Nanjing road, 10 mins walk from the Shanghai museum, 30 minutes walk from the bund, what more can I say?
Louis at check in gave me a early check in at 11:00AM. Top notch! Everyone from the front desk to the concierge, to the welcome agents, and the bell, they all could greet you by name! Amazing service this. See I've also stayed at the Langham Xintiandi before checking in to the Yangtze, i gotta say, you just can't compare at all! The Yangtze won it all!
The Xintiandi staff forgot to give me a copy of the invoice and the Yangtze staffs (Louis and Angela) assisted me in getting a copy of it without any fuss, so as Anthony from the concierge team - he landed me a computer so I can do an online check in and also he helped me into cancelling a tour and have partial refunded!!
Rooms
Spacious with a huge bathroom (room 425), couple of downsides would be a bit dark, mine got no balconies, closet door and the drawers couldn't close properly, shower head leaks, basically everything's a bit dated, unlike the Langham XinTianDI offered, perhaps that's what art deco means...... CIsco Phone on the desk was easy to operate, however It does not provide the full package that the Langham Place Mongkok in Hong Kong offers - with flight checks, free SMSs, stocks, etc, there's nothing fancy available.
Internet is also at charged at RMB120 per day, which, in current stage of a 5 star hotel should be for free.
Check out
Smooth, although I've got no idea why 2 local calls were on the bill, i remember checking the Cisco phone on the desk with 2 numbers I've never rang and it was during the times i was OUT..anyways...
Overall
Blown away by the friendly and the personal touch, absolutely amazing. Now be aware that as this hotel does not have a driveway, taxi drivers might miss the stop (mine did).

Footnote
Having stayed in both the Xintiandi and the Yangtze, all i can say was with the service the Yangtze provides, and with what Xintiandi has to offer physically, no other hotels could ever beat this brand.

Room Tip: ask for a room with the balcony!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai? Share your experiences!