“A bit of heaven on earth....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lost Heaven

Lost Heaven
38 Gaoyou Rd (south of West Fuxing Rd), Shanghai, China (Hengshan Road)
021-64335126
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 12,563 Restaurants in Shanghai
4.5 of 5 stars 851 Reviews
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: Hengshan Road
Montreal, Canada
“A bit of heaven on earth....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Beautiful venue, good ambiance. We tried an assortment of appetizers, fish, chicken and vegetable dishes, including the lamb samosas, steamed cod with black bean. All were nicely seasoned and well presented. Prices very reasonable. Good service.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Shanghai, China
“Safe bet for foreigners in the mood for spicy chinese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is a nice place that I go to often when I have visitors. The food is always good, the place is just nice enough (no need to dress up, but not too casual either). The dishes are authentic Yunnanese, but still made on the safe side of what westerners like.

Great place to bring visitors. Just be prepared to alkways have to wait at lest 20 min in the bar before you get your table, even when having booked...

Visited October 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Best Food On This Trip to China”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I'm on a 2 week trip in China and we have eaten at some very nice restaurants, but Lost Heaven has been the best. The food was amazing. We had a local with us who loves this restaurant and they knew what to order. My favorites were the spicy chicken salad, lamb samosas, spring rolls, a beef with vegetables dish, a chicken with vegetables dish, sliced pork, fried rice, and fried noodles. The spicy tofu dish was only OK. The sea bass dish was not very good. Overall the restaurant was great, very neat atmosphere. Women, just don't try to check your makeup in the bathroom mirror. I will defiantly eat her again on my next trip to Shanghai.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“If you like kale...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We walked in without a reservation on saturday night so we were very lucky as my concierge wasn't able to get in touch with the restaurant with busy tones and advised us to just walk in and wish us luck.

I'm not overly impressed by the food we ordered. But I must admit the fish fillet with 7 spices was the best out of 4 dishes we ordered. Most foreigners were spotted in this restaurant which is tastefully decorated with photographs of Yunan's face. I also need to underlined the fact that I have not tasted Yunan's dish before so I can't tell you if it was authentic or not. Not a lot English speaking staffs but one was pulled by others when they didn't understood my question and she asked us 3 times if we had food allergy, made me wonder if someone recently had an episode.

The bathroom was neat and clean, although I had to face a man washing his hands when I washed mine and thought I had evolved into a man as there were no wall dividing us. no mirror so you can't check out if you have a piece of kale stucked between your teeth which we found on every dish we ordered.

The wine list and the mixologist was quite impressive, he was very attentive and seriously on the job making us drunk.

If you were to impress your girl, business partners, overseas friends go and eat here as it won't break your wallet and you'd be forced to walk home. Don't try to make serious conversations as you won't be able to make your point across the table in a such loud surrounding.

Overall Ilike this restaurant and I will be back to try other dishes if I ever come to shanghai again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Sherbrooke, Canada
“This is simply not Yunnan dish with average taste”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Surprised that the restaurant enjoys such high ranking. It is not bad but certainly debatable to be top 10. As shanghai local, we rarely go to Lost Heaven. And during the few visits there, most diners are foreigners. So if you are looking for local experience, this is not the place to be.

Besides, dish style is simply not Yunnan flavor as it claimed. Instead, it is typical blend of southeast countries flavor like Thailand, Vietnam and etc.

From a 3rd party observer, I am thinking why it is so popular despite the reasons stated above. Probably it is due to the dining environment that might fit in foreigners taste. A little touch of Budhha, dim light and wooden long table make it a stereotype of what the orient should look like in western's brains...

So I am neutral on the place. Not too bad but once is enough.

Visited August 2012