“Great Ambiance” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lost Heaven

Lost Heaven
38 Gaoyou Rd (south of West Fuxing Rd), Shanghai, China (Hengshan Road)
021-64335126
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Hengshan Road
“Great Ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

A little ironic, but this really was "lost heaven" for my husband as we literally got lost trying to find the restaurant... We got incorrect directions, which we gave our taxi driver leading us on a wild goose chase. However it was all worth it! The restaurant has terrific ambiance and gorgeous decor. Whether you want to go with friends or on a romantic date, this place is amazing! Although waiters speak very little English, the service was great. There were many dishes to choose from - menus had accurate pictures with English translation - each dish was as delicious as the next. The Yunnan style cooking was more 'western' in its taste that other restaurants we had tried. There is also a really lovely bar on the bottom floor with heavenly couches, and beautiful water features. Just a pity they close so early, we would have stayed longer if we could.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Shanghai, China
“Great setting and popular!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The setting is great, always take visitors here. A drink before dinner, in the cozy sofas at the bar, is to recommend. The food is also good but if I want good Yunnan food I rather go else where.

Visited October 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“food for tourist”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I find this place is really set up for western people, over 50% of people who was there are westerners....the food is okay but does not really impress me at all with its price.....I won't recommend this place if you wish to have a real chinese meal.

Visited December 2012
Milano
“Heaven near the Bund”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Lost heaven has been a great experience during my astonishing trip to China. It seems to enter into a temple, odors, lights, silence everything is a ryte and creates an ancestral atmosphere: something different that one can feel as his own.
The place is near the Bund, walking distance from Nanjing street. Better to reserve. Toilets are very clean, just as the restaurant itself. Waiters try to accomplish every request (in a perfect Chinese style). they understand English, there are also translated menus with food description. Food is very, very good. I can't remember the names but everything was good and taste. I suggest to order tea as drink. I drunk a grasslemon tea ant it was an exciting experience.
For Two dishes with tea I payed about 70 eur, a bit expensive for Chinese standards, but it's worth it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Outstanding, refreshing Burmese cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Incredible restaurant. Granted, I’m not sure how “authentic” it was since almost everyone there looked like a tourist but that didn’t really matter given how outstanding the food was. Burmese cuisine is similar to Thai in that it relies on a lot of herbs and is really refreshing. We enjoyed everything we ordered: Jin Bo-style ghost chicken salad; Burmese tea leaves salad (truly amazing); simmered vegetables in tamarind sauce; and marinated beef salad with peppers.

Visited July 2012