“Private modern gems in a fascinating historic building” 4 of 5 stars
Review of CHAI Living Serviced Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shanghai
CHAI Living Serviced Apartments
You added CHAI Living Serviced Apartments to your Saves list
No. 370 North Suzhou Road, Shanghai 200008, China (Qipu Road)   |
Offers & Announcements
¥1,000 (RMB)
Ranked #1 of 370 Shanghai B&B and Inns
Hong Kong
“Private modern gems in a fascinating historic building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

I didn't make the booking for this stay so I was unsure of what to expect when arriving at the front entrance. Doubly unsure when walking through the residential lobby and the hallways with clothes hung to dry from the ceiling. So when the door opened and the room revealed itself to be modern, warm and very well decorated I was very surprised. The design of the room was very well done and all of the amenities were top notch, especially the heated floor in the Shanghai winter. I really enjoyed my stay with all of the personal touches and would definitely stay there again. The combination of the view, adjacency to the Bund, unique environment and beautiful room make for a great stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

This is the 2nd time I stay at Chai and I decided to make a review as I had an even greater time than my previous stay. Apart from the charm of living in an authentic shanghainese building, I was delighted with my residence. Beautifully designed, great view, and ultra comfortable. Furthermore, they had just opened a coffee lounge on the ground floor, which made my life easier as I could have my breakfast there and even gathered a small group of business suppliers for a drink. One last detail to point out: during my previous stay the city was finalizing some construction works for the World Expo right in front of the building, now all is done and it is a beautiful pleasant quick stroll to the subway station, crossing this landmark bridge over the Suzhou Creek.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

As a young executive who has visited Shanghai more than 8 times this year, I have stayed at a few nice hotels in the city (Penisula, Holiday Inn, Regal, Modena, etc). Chai Living, among all, has given me the most unique and memorable experience. I recommend this residence to anyone who appreciates Chinese culture and refined details, for short and long term stays.

The WOW factors of Chai are ☺

Design – a natural blend of Chinese cultural elements, art pieces with modern living concept. The theme of my room is Rice Paper. The interiors lift my spirit when I come back to my room everyday. Simply amazing!!

Service – the staff are warm and helpful. From thoughtful reminders during hotel booking, to the nice selection of world music on airport pick-up service, everything is thoughtful.

View and location – it is located at a historical heritage building by Suzhou river near the bund, which is THE place to enjoy glamorous night-view of the city). I could see Oriental Pearl, The landmark of Shanghai! The residence is within walking distance to the bund, Yet the street and neighborhood are peaceful and calm.

There are everyday locals living in the same building. When I come back to the residence after a day’s work, I see local elderly living in the building exercising downstairs. It is a unique experience that allows one to live with authentic Shanghainese. One doesn’t get that in a normal hotel.

Food – there is a lounge called Chai bites downstairs. The food and interior there are creative and again, full of authentic Chinese elements. The fresh orange juice and jasmine omelet give me a refreshing boost every morning!

Lastly, I want to thank Tucho, Pammy, driver Zhao and Ayi Zheng for their personal touch. I will definitely come back to Chai again very soon.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

I saw the reviews above and decided to try out this place because I was going to stay for almost a month in Shanghai.
It is right next to the Suzhou River and very close to the Bund and People's Square.

CHAI Living sets an example of what a hotel should be:
The booking was easily dealt with, the service was kind and the directions given were precise. Beds are incredibly comfortable, views are unbeatable and every detail is so lush. Plenty of space, fully equipped rooms, perfect temperature, quality finishings...

There are two very convenient underground stations nearby too. One is Nanjing East Road (Line 2 and 10) and the other is Tian Tong Road (Line 10). There are loads of restaurants and shops near the Pedestrian street of Nanjing East Rd.

I will book a room for sure next time I go to Shanghai!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

I never stayed at the hotel, but would recommend it becuse of its excellent service. I had already paid a deposit when the hotel incormed me that due to nearby construction, they woldl be unable to accomodate me. They recommended other extablishments in the area and although I enventually chose another location in the city, they provided me with a free car pick-up from the airport to my alternative hotel. They also provided an information pack suggesting restuarants, clubs, galleries and bars. I foudn this very helpful and the chinese addresses very useful.

Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

We wanted something different, with a boutique-y feel that would make us feel like adventurers while living in sublime comfort. Chai delivers all these things in spades.

Service and information - TICK - Lee is a top man and we trusted him so much that I never asked him for a receipt/invoice for our payment (okay, I'm a tad naive). We loved the fact the fridge was relenished with breakfast goodies each day. Also, Shanghai must have run out of mineral water as all the bottles were in our room...Lovely.

Location - TICK - 10 mins walk from a the Bund and in the heart of a cosmopolitan residential block. Forget the moan about not being near the French Concession. Do your research and use the very efficient metro or grab a taxi (10 mins)!

Experience - TICK - choose to use it as a base to explore or stay in, watch a movie and order in. The room is too comfotable to leave. Dock your ipod and unwind. Read the papers by the window overlooking the window. You get the picture.

So in a word. "PERFECT" (for us) (okay, 3 words)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

We were in Shanghai for the Expo and made reservation at Chai a few months in advance. We loved the location, the concept of the hotel and best of all we loved Lee whose hospitality was unsurpassed. We felt we were in a five star hotel and we owed it to Lee. On our last day saying goodbye to Lee, we felt we had left a friend's house. We definitely would return to Chai.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to CHAI Living Serviced Apartments? Share your experiences!