“An oasis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The PuLi Hotel and Spa

You added The PuLi Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
The PuLi Hotel and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 Changde Road, Shanghai 20004, China (Jing'an Temple)   |
Special Rate
Buy 2 Get 1 Free
Ranked #2 of 3,976 Hotels in Shanghai
Pickering, Canada
“An oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Puli Hotel has been added to my favourite Hotels list now. It is luxurious in the lobby, rooms and spa. Even though the weather was terrible when we were visiting Shanghai, I was very happy in my Puli oasis. The spa treatments and personnel are exquisite, the pool, sauna, steam room are all top notch. Breakfast buffet was also excellent as was the "long bar" and lounge for drinks and appetizers.
We booked 30 days in advance as they offer a significant discount for advanced bookings.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Sunny greetings from The PuLi Hotel and Spa,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments you posted on TripAdvisor following your stay with us.

We are thrilled to know you have included our hotel to your list of favourites and that you have rated our Lobby, Guest Room and Spa, our Long Bar and breakfast buffet so highly.

I was especially happy to read that our staff were exquisite as you put it, in making your stay such a comfortable one.

We hope to have the pleasure in seeing you again when you next travel back to Shanghai and remain,

With kindest regards,

Jan B. Tibaldi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We like the design of the Puli and the Long Bar concept where Check-in and your first drink are just served over the same long counter. But here is the problem: If you expect a good host at the other side of that counter you are mistaken.
We waited for the drink list while other people were seated and got their menu before us. Finally I got to order a Single Malt for 118 Yuan, after 5 minutes the waiter returned just to ask me if I want it with ice(!) After another 5 Minutes he arrived with the glass. I could hardly recognize the content. There was just a very tiny sip in it just covering the bottom of the glass. I ask the bar keeper about it and his rude answer was: "Want a double"?
My wife's Pina Colada wasn't better. Lots of ice and no alcohol could be tasted. We went on to the new Bar at the neighboring Shangrila where I got a triple whisky (by Puli measures) and a handshake from the bar keeper.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent Long Bar visit with us.

We are truly disheartened to have disappointed you on this occasion with our beverage service.
This is certainly not indicative of the service levels that we pride ourselves on.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience, frustration you experienced. Rest assured we take your valuable comments in the spirit intended and this has been discussed with our Long Bar team.

I would like to point out that we use 30ml jigger size measuring units for our spirits and we serve such beverages in larger than normal rock glasses so that the aroma and taste is appreciated. Other establishments use up to 45ml jigger size and the size of glassware can warry.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in us and look forward to remain at your service.

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

My wife, 12-year old daughter and I spent 3 nights here and it was fantastic. The beauty, aesthetic and attention to detail is amazing, and the service is extremely solicitous yet warm and friendly. We loved being in the club level with butler, who tracked us down at dinner to bring our free aperitifs and lent my daughter an ipad, among many other touches. We normally try to stay at small funky hotels that are more personal, but wanted a "james bond" kind of experience to see the "new China" in Shanghai. The Puli was perfect for that. I wish one could get Chinese food at dinner there, as we arrived too late to go out, but Jing'An was excellent nonetheless (vastly better than M on the Bund, which we recommend purely for the views). Compared to the 4 seasons in NYC, the Imperial in Vienna, and the Royal Riviera in Cap-Ferrat, the Puli is hands-down preferable in my book (though YMMV, say if you want chandeliers in your room). Much more human and personal than those, though nothing compares to a b&b/small inn for the personal touch/local flavor.

Room Tip: We were splurging, but felt club room was well worth it. They say to get one facing the park, which...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most rewarding feedback from your recent experience at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

We are truly delighted that our team, in particular the Butler colleagues were instumental in making your familie's stay on the Club level such a fantastic and personal "James Bond" experience.

We are also thrilled to be compared and to have the edge on some of the top worldwide hotels you listed.

Wishing you a fabulous summer and we look forward to welcoming you and family back soon.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I spent only one night at this hotel and definitely will return for more. Loved the bed, the bathtub overlooking the city, and the chic outdoor lounge. Only wish the internet had been better, but that's China. Spa seriously relaxing. Great and generous breakfast, and managed to sneak in a very good lunch here too. High praise for my too short stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your glowing feedback from your recent experience with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

We are delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations; from the comfortable bed to the bathrooms overlooking the great skyline to our chic outdoor lounge and relaxing spa, and our generous breakfast and great lunches served at the Jing'An restaurant.

You will be happy to read that by 2nd week of July we will have completed our Internet service upgrades.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to Shanghai.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I travel to Shanghai regularly for business and leisure. Either way, the Puli is my hotel of choice. From the first time I stayed, the staff and setting made me feel like I belonged. The staff is thoughtful and professional. The rooms are gorgeous. The spa and pool phenomenal. The Long Bar and restaurants outstanding. It's got everything, plus a super-hip luxury vibe that's very Shanghai.

Room Tip: I like the corner Grand Studios overlooking both the park and Shanghai skyline.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

We are delighted and really appreciate your patronage and repeat business and to hear that you continue to enjoy and appreciate our services, expecially from our staff that try to make our guests such as yourself as comfortable as possible. I am truly humbled by such high praise from an experienced and discerning traveler such as yourself.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Shanghai.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

Lausanne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have spent 5 nights at the Puli and everything was so fantastic, Wonderful room, fantastic Spa, great food and amazing and friendly staff. Thank you to everybody for making my stay unforgattable. The outside bar during the evening is just the place to be very nice people and great atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi_Puli, General Manager at The PuLi Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely TripAdvisor review following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

I am delighted to read that you had a fantastic 5-day stay and that our staff was instrumental in making your visit a unforgettable one.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

One of the best thing about travelling through China are great finds such as this. To be fair it was the mrs who'd found it but upon combing through websites and a few photos I had my doubts.

Upon arrival it was everything I'd expected plus more. The design of the lobby is pretty chic, essentially a long corridor stretching from check in through to bar and restaurant. Adjacent are the fire place and library, nice place to chillout for a few drinks with your party.

The room were incredibly well designed with vase style washing basin and frameless glass doors for the shower/toilet area. I'm not sure if all the rooms we're similarly coloured hovered floorboards and dark timbers themed perfectly.

As a boutique hotel you can expect rain shower head and a fantastic range of toiletries which feat Asian style parfum. The cedar wood moisturisers were my favourite after a hot swim in Puli's facilities.

Pros:
Right next to the train station
Next to a food court if you feel like local delicacies
Incredibly large pool and spa facilities
- Do go for a swim late evening where there isn't much people, gentle stroke over subtle tranquil beats
Rooms were very well designed

Final words: If you enjoy a luxury stay a few stops from where all the actions are this is it. If you expect nanjing road on exit from lobby this isn't. Overall we'll be back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate the time you took to comment on your recent stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.
Thanks very much for your feedback and thanks to your wife for choosing our hotel!

I was happy to read that your stay was everything you had expected plus more - from the overall design to the amenities, facilities, to our location.
And yes, all of our guest rooms have similarly coloured hovered floorboards.

We hope to have the pleasure to be of service to you and your wife in the near future again and remain,

With kindest regards

Jan B. Tibaldi

Been to The PuLi Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!