“To Kool for Skool - in the best possible way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Puli Hotel and Spa

You added The Puli Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
The Puli Hotel and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 Changde Road, Shanghai 200040, China (Jing'an Temple)   |
Ranked #3 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
4.5 of 5 stars 869 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
“To Kool for Skool - in the best possible way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I wish I could think of something negative to say about the Puli - just to retain my credibility. But the Zen ambience completely wipes your mind of peripheral thought. This is the way my ‘reincarnated self’ would like to live. Exeunt clutter, struggle and the mundanity of life. Enter minimalism and luxury. But with plenty of people to do some ‘caring and sharing’!

Room: big comfortable beds & wonderful pillows (it’s a hotel – it’s got to be their prime concern!), huge, airy; décor aforementioned zen … black trip, wood, dimmed lights; huge ‘wet rooms’ with double headed showers – one a real ‘rainforest’ head - fabulous; separate basins (my other half is always delighted to be separated from my chaos); table and chairs to enjoy room service dinner that our late arrival required (delicious - I mean delicious - noodles). I wanted to spend the rest of my life in that room.

Gym: small but with all the essentials; no swimming pool (hooray – a negative); great change rooms, showers and sauna.

Spa: booked out, couldn't try it (hooray negative #2).

Breakfast: delicious; plenty of traditional choice but not over the top

Staff: always attentive and willing in a really happy way. Not always with the answers – we had quite a few touristy questions about Shanghai and regions which stumped some of the staff. A very helpful young American women who appeared to be a front of house manager did a wonderful job in taking the initiative and finding answers for us about trains and timetables and giving us tips on our day trip to Suzhou. The English of the staff was generally strong, which was wonderful for us as our Mandarin is non-existent!

While the location is a little far from Bund attractions, it’s central enough to the ‘Paris-end’ of Nanjing Road and taxis are very cheap (and always cheerfully sourced by concierges) for it not to really matter.

The interior design of the hotel is just Too Kool for Skool - in the best possible way. It filled these old fogies with a bit life, creativity and youth – it reflected so much of that contemporary edginess that was evident in many places in this extraordinary city. Were I to return to Shanghai there’s no question where I’d stay. Loved it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The Puli Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Wow, what a great and detailed review following your stay at The PuLi Hotel and Spa - very much appreciated indeed!

I am delighted that your stay was a memorable one and that you and your wife enjoyed our hospitality and the comfortable room and your interaction with our staff.

The next time you are in town and hopefully staying with us again, I will personally have the pleasure in showing you our fabulous indoor 25-meter long infinity lap pool - I am sorry you were not aware of this tremendous amenity - you are just going to have to experience and enjoy this feature during your next visit!

As for the Spa - we have a limited amount ot treatment rooms available and therefore, highly recommend our guests to either book their Spa visit in advance or upon arrival.

Thank you very much for your patronage and we all are looking forward to your next visit.

Jan B. Tibaldi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Thank you Trip Advisor for helping me chose The Puli. After spending our first 3 nights in Shanghai in a stunning hotel on The Bund, we wanted to move to another area to explore. I was nervous about choosing a hotel in a business district but was not disappointed. The decor at The Puli was stunning. From the touted Long Bar to the delicious amenities in our sublime room, we were not disappointed. The service from every staff member was outstanding. A concierge who incredibly knowledgable and extremely helpful, bar staff who were friendly but not intrusive and doormen who went out of their way to look after taxis and luggage. I did not want to leave. We had a garden view room on the sixth floor and there was not a single thing I can fault with it. It was immaculately clean, the bed comfy and the complimentary mini bar well stocked with goodies.

The proximity to Nanjing Rd was great. It's actually a really great central location to explore Shanghai. If you've never been before - taxis are the day to get around. They're really cheap.

If I had one recommendation to make it would be to heat the pool. We were disappointed that we couldn't enjoy the hot spa together as they are situated in separate men and women's change rooms and the water temperature in the swimming pool was too cold to use.

We truly loved our time at The Puli. Next time I want to come when it's warm enough to utilise the gorgeous outdoor area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The Puli Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting your generous comments on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa in April.

I am especially delighted to read that our staff members delivered service in an outstanding, helpful, friendly and not intrusive way and were instrumental in making your stay such a memorable one.

We heat our indoor pool to 29 degreese Celsius.

We look forward to your return in the warmer months and remain,

New York City, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed there for a night only. Got upgraded to a suite. Extremely spacious and beautiful views of Shanghai. Impeccable service. No Chinese food on the me u though. The gym and spa are first class. Very cosmopolitan high level crowd. Beautiful lobby/bar with outdoor sitting.

• Stayed April 2013
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The Puli Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review.

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Suite upgrade and beautiful views of Shanghai and our impeccable service. You will be happy to read that we serve Asian specialities throughout the hotel, without specifying any geographical region.

Thank you for joining us and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Best regards,

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Overall quality & standard of the hotel is excellent. As a comparison to the Club concept in other hotels the Puli 'deconstructed' Club offer, works at a 'quality of room' level but does not offer sufficient quiet and exclusive space for business travellers. I strongly recommend they consider a Club lounge on the meeting floor level. The main lobby becomes very crowded and lacks sufficient seating areas. F& B is pricey but service and quality of product are excellent. Whilst the menu in Jing'an is contemporary it is somewhat overcomplicated and would only appeal to a small market. As with most of Shanghai, it is important to ensure the doorman has explained to the taxi driver the address, street number and nearest cross road as I was dumped in the middle of nowhere, down by Suzhou Creek and spent an hour trying to find the River North Art Centre. Gave up and managed to get a taxi back to hotel. Not happy! Location good if you have been to Shanghai before and are happy to use the Metro as it is a long way from most of the shopping, and tourist areas.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent, nicest outlook over the park towards Jing'an temple.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The Puli Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review following your stay at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

I was very happy to read that you were very pleased with the quality, service, product and standard of the hotel and I have noted your comment on having a physical Club Lounge.

We purposely decided not to opt for the latter as our overall design and service concept differentiates somewhat from that of the "standard" business hotel model.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience your encountered with the outside taxi service - we will ensure to address the taxi drivers in a more precise way of communication to avoid this moving forward.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to welcome you back when you are next in Shanghai.

Beijing, Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is so beautiful and very clean! The service is the best I got in China.
It's expensive but worth it! :)
Only thing is that the swimming pool is indoor and I prefer outdoor.. Beside that I had a great time here and I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2013
Jan_B_Tibaldi, General Manager at The Puli Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for the glowing review folloing your stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our urban resort concept and that you had such a memorable stay.

I will be sure to pass your compliments along to our staff; they will be happy to know that you appreciated and rated them in such high regards!

We hope that whenever you travel to Shanghai, you make us your home away from home!

Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

As a sometimes jaded road warrior, a stay at the Puli was for me a total welcome. The things that matter: great location, service attentive yet unobtrusive, staff polite without being obsequious, room of outstanding comfort...

What I really liked most about the place was the atmosphere though. There is a buzz to the hotel which is missing in business hotels. Yet, it also feels mature like a business hotel. So, not gratuitously or self-consciously hip like some other hotels...just buzzing with energy. The services and amenities, however, were completely in keeping with what you need when travelling on business. The desk area in the room, for instance, was well lit, spacious, and with a thoughtful mix of goodies in the desk: stapler, ruler, eraser, pen, pencil, highlighter...

I also have to say I really liked the constantly replenished mini-bar, where the staff thoughtfully quickly caught on to my re-arrangements and consumption patterns, and kept the things I liked in stock and cold without compromising overall selection.

The breakfast buffet was delicious, and I found the eggs benedict as good as the ones served at Fortnum & Mason in London, which is setting a very high bar indeed.

The pool area was a total indulgence. I don't usually use pool areas when travelling as they are often grim or too crowded with people trying to cram in a few minutes of exercise. This was a total opposite, and had me longing to go for a swim every day. The pool is beautifully lit and is extremely long, surrounded by very comfortable poolside beds. There is a steam room and a sauna, along with a hot tub, as well as a very complete bathroom set up with plenty of towels, bath products, scales, hair dryers, etc. It is also all very nice to look at.

The view from the room was magical at night with the incredible Shanghai skyline in full view from the knee to ceiling windows. My wife particularly enjoyed the bathtub which was flush to the window and which also had a TV screen set into the wall at the foot of the tub.

What can I say? When in Shanghai, if you haven't tried the Puli then you should...and if you have, you will know it is as I say, and there is no need to look further...The Puli has struck the right balance...why stay anywhere else?

Room Tip: higher floors offer better views. Spring for the Club floors in particular. Suites are worth the e...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are humbled by your high praises and thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay with us at The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

We are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations with the unobtrusive and efficient service extended by our team members and by the room product, amenities, outstanding comfort, delicious breakfast buffet, the indulgent pool with its wet areas etc.

I especially loved the way you described the atmosphere in the hotel as being "not gratuitously or self-consciously hip like some other hotels...just buzzing with energy"

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit and remain at your service.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel is very nice and we'd hired a english speaking tour guide to take us on tours and this hotel was extremely convenient going to and from by subway or Taxi. I was in sort of their suite type room. I would recommend if you're by yourself, which I was, their smaller less expensive room is better. Did the spa located in the hotel. It was excellent, but very very expensive. That said, if doing over again I would still have gone and still pay for the 90 minute special. My room rate also gave me 20% discount. The hotel location is very convenient and good safe walking area, right next to subway/train. Only 5-6 (?) blocks to Acrobat show. They also have a guy on street to flag a Taxi for you. You can travel just about anywhere downtown to and from sites for 20-30 yuan. For us, my friend, the tour guide and myself a taxi was better than subway.
Now the reason for the title of my review. Their dinner menu is more european than American. (Had to walk a block to swissotel to get a steak.) My friend ordered their chicken dish which he didn't like because of the sauces, etc. (and he usually likes any food), I ordered the Hamburger which was not on the menu but I knew was on the bar's menu. The server said sure and it was good. But the burger is the only thing you can get that's sort of American food. It would be great if they'd just add a steak to their menu. The bar is good and the bartenders are great for conversation and service. The lobby is not great for meeting with someone, number of seats and configuration means that many times just one person is sitting in an area and there's only one or two available chairs for you and no private conversation. They have area off to left as you enter lobby from outside, but we always found this full and busy/noisy. The staff is very attentive whenever you arrive or are walking out of lobby. It was about a 200 yuan taxi ride to/from airport. We made the mistake of hiring for airport transfer from airport to Puli. Would have been faster and cheaper to walk out of baggage, turn left and walk down to taxi area and take taxi to hotel. We cancelled for return and did take taxi. In fact we were concerned about getting taxi because of a really early morning flight so our Tour Guide arranged for the taxi that drove us back from the Bund to pick us up the next morning. To her credit, she woke up early, called the taxi driver to verify he was on the way and then sent me text that he'd be there in 10 minutes, which was 5 minutes before we expected. We were glad he came because it seemed the hotel area on right as you enter the Puli driveway was snagging the taxis. I'm sure though that as efficient as the Puli Valets are that they would have gotten us a taxi. As said, the Hotel staff's english is excellent, the breakfast staff remembered that I liked fried egg breakfast and always got it for me & the buffet is very good. Book the room that includes breakfast, it is worth it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your extensive review following you and your friends stay at The PuLi Hotel and Spa!

I am sorry that our food offerings did not meet your regional expectations. Our estaurant staff and executive chef would have been delighted to prepare dishes to your satisfaction had we been made aware of the situation.

Our general staff was delighted to read that you were very pleased with their services and we are continuing our efforts with the English classes on property which are seemingly paying dividends!

We look forward to your next visit and remain,

Jan B. Tibaldi

Been to The Puli Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!