“Another great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Puli Hotel and Spa

You added The Puli Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
The Puli Hotel and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 Changde Road, Shanghai 200041, China (Jing'an Temple)   |
Ranked #3 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
Melbourne Australia
“Another great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

This was my second stay and I wanted to see if it lived up to my first stay which it did, from the hotel pick up at the airport(I think the charge is little bit high) to the check out everything went smoothly. I recommend staying with club benefits, there is no separate lounge but you get allowance at the bar. The mini bar in the room has red and white wine included in the room rate. My butler recommend a Thai restaurant and offered to book it, but I said I would just walk down to it, I could not get a table in future I will follow there advice. I used the spa and had a great massage all done very professionally. For a quiet place in Shanghai with great rooms and facilities stay here.

Room Tip: Book club room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I spent 4 nights at the Puli in a Grand category room and then a Grand Studio corner room. My club benefits room rate was about $400US per day.

I must admit the hotel has a charm. The lobby is Zen and the staff are very outgoing and polite. Most speak competent English and they truly act in a gracious manner. I felt the staff really make the property. The location is ok, not the Bund, but well located. The Bund is close enough by Metro or taxi. The French Concession area and office areas are nearby. There are shops of many kinds near the hotel.

I had many issues.

1. The air conditioning in my room blasted the air directly at my head on the bed, there was no way to avoid it, so it was hard to sleep and I woke feeling poorly with bad sleep and a dry mouth/nose. To address this they ultimately moved us to a corner room with a better AC setup. (See below)
2. The air conditioning made no sense at all. When set to 21 degrees C it was warm at 20 degrees C it was freezing.
3. The room had no desk space and I could not plug in my computer and sit at the same time except in bed. A huge problem for the business traveler in a grand room.
4. There really is no space to place luggage. My wife arrived and we could not place to suitcases thoughtfully.
5. The TV sits low and can only be watched from the bed.
6. CLUB benefits include laundry. I used this service. First, I had them dry clean my black jeans that are dry clean only. Sadly, they laundered them and returned wrinkled gray pair of jeans. I spelled out dry clean only on the pants and all over the forms. To the hotel's credit they did pay for the jeans but only after asking to keep them. I went all over town looking my size a US 38 but that size is near impossible to find. Moreover, nice clothes cost double or triple US prices in China. Ultimately, the hotel gave back the pants which had shrunk anyways and are near useless except that I need to use them given the lack of options. The annoyance factor with this mishap is great. I also note how extreme the laundry must be as my black socks are all grey now as well.
7. The Jing'An restaurant like many restaurants in Shanghai is way overpriced. The salmon appetizer costs as much on its own as does the 3 course set lunch they offer which includes the same dish of the same portion size. The is silly in the extreme. A bottle of water is $17US.
8. There is no hot food on the breakfast buffet and the Western hot choices while artful in appearance are flavorless or poorly prepared.
9. The Minibar which is free in the club floor was warm.
10. The high tech key cards which must be placed in a slot to have power in the room always screwed up our AC settings and lighting.
11. The internet is slow.
12. The beer at the bar is not cold.

While I cannot directly blame the hotel I did get a severe Gastro Intestinal issue from a food borne bacteria on my third night at the hotel. I ate one lunch and one dinner on site as well as breakfast daily during my stay. My other meals were at 5 star establishments. While I cannot be sure the hotel is at fault this issue coincided with my stay and the preponderance of my meals were on site.

THE CORNER/STUDIO ROOM
This room type is far and away your best choice. The table can double as a desk and has an outlet! There is more room to place luggage. While the AC did not blast my head we found this room to get hot easily as it has many windows and the lowest AC setting did not help to cool it. Every time we left the room the AC temperature miraculously went up too.

All in all I applaud the management of the hotel for stepping up with my issue and paying for my pants. While very annoying they did move us to a corner room to try to fix our AC/minibar issue. Management may be proactive but this hotel clearly has issues. I do not feel I received value for money in that my sleep was impacted as was my ability to work. That made me less productive.

This hotel is really for vacationers and people who want a traditional Japanese style room not a business hotel. Incompetent laundry, no workspace in the room, slow internet, crazy AC and overpriced restaurants are too much to take.

Room Tip: Corner room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The Puli Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear FlyOneWorld,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I was naturally very concerned to read and to personally learn during your stay of the inconsistencies you have experienced during your recent visit.

As much I would like to thank you for complimenting the way my team dealt with the most unfortunate incident surrounding your laundry, I will be writing to you personally and under separate cover to address other concern areas that you have highlighted, in an attempt to hopefully restore your faith in The PuLi Hotel and Spa.

While writing to you, I would like to confirm that approximately 2,000 meals were severed to our guests and staff during the course of your visit and that we have not been alerted to any other symptoms that would accompany a food-borne illness. This leads me to believe, with near-certainty, that your being unwell is unlikely to be connected to a meal consumed at the hotel. Notwithstanding, I very much hope that you have since fully recovered.

Thank you once more for bringing the Ups and Downs of your visit to our attention and I look forward to personally reiterating my apologies and to updating you on the steps we have taken to ensure no reoccurrence of the inconsistencies you have experienced.

Didmarton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Recently stayed for three nights and loved the place. Flight got into PVG at 7am but they had a room ready for me by 10:30. Very stylish and beautifully decorated whilst still delivering on substance. Only ate breakfast in the hotel, which was very good. Great location in a nice part of town (glad I chose the Puli and not somewhere closer to the Bund). Room was a very good size and the bathroom was fantastic. Particularly liked the quality of the shower and the bath tub by the window. Room (16th floor) was over Changde Rd but wasn't disturbed by any traffic noise. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dear nyorks28,

Thank you for posting a review on TA.

For guests who fly in early, we always try to have the room ready upon arrival. As much as it is not always possible -we have had a great and busy summer- we definitely will always try.

In case you want to be 100% sure to check in straight away when you get to the hotel and to start enjoying our services and amenties right away, or perhaps to get ready comfortably for the first meeting of that day, our Club guests all enjoy 24 hour check in on top of a very attractive program of additional benefits and allowances.

Our website always shows the best Club arrangements available for you.

Happy travels and hope to be able to welcome you back soon!

Beach babe in Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

This hotel is stunning. More importantly it has amazing Japanese toilets in the reception area - heated seats, directional water with temp adjuster, I could sit there for hours! The reception area and cocktail bar are great, relaxed, excellent service, delicious cocktails & nibbles and really nice staff. The room I stayed in was enormous with a huge bath in the bedroom looking out through the window, auto blinds on the windows, enormous bed, great selection of tea, water & fresh fruit in room every day. strong shower. i never use hotel toiletries so can't comment on those. large wardrobe, plenty of room. The only niggle was the not particularly bright lights in the bedroom for applying make-up. tiny gripe! For the rooms & service it's a bargain price, you'd pay 4 x that amount in London / NYC etc. Breakfast was great with an enormous choice of fresh fruits, nuts, yoghurts, pastries & cooked food. Tea not so good but fresh orange squeezed on request. delicious! I travelled on business with a large group and we ate out so can't comment on restaurant. The swimming pool was good & the spa was lovely. Cant go wrong here, well worth staying.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The Puli Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear sunshineaddict666,

Great to read your review and thank you for submitting it!

I am so happy that you have enjoyed the room and the facilities and the outlets. Well noted your comment on lighting and tea. We have discussed this in the meantime and we are working towards solutions.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future. Please then try our restaurant too for our business set lunch, The Puli Afternoon Tea or our signature Wagyu Beef dishes at dinner!

Martijn
New York, New York USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I travel extensively, so it's hard to impress me when it comes to hotels. More often than not I find most hotels these days have cut back on staff and training and it usually ends up negatively affecting the service. The Puli Hotel in Shanghai seems to be an exception to recent trends. I have just finished a two-day stay here and will leave here tomorrow AM a full fledged convert. When it comes to rating hotels I consider the entire facility, not just the rooms. I like to use the entire hotel during a stay, and will especially look for a hospitable, business friendly lobby area. From the minute you walk in the front entrance of the Puli you are transported into a calm, sophisticated environment. The long bar that runs the entire length of the hotel is dramatic and memorable. The little alcoves that adorn the entire first floor provide plenty of intimate spaces for meeting or just relaxing. The lobby bar, in my opinion, is among the greatest bars in the world. This atmosphere carries up to the rooms which are well appointed with comfortable relaxing and working spaces and decorated in muted tones. As I think about my total experience here, the word Oasis keeps coming to mind. it truly is an oasis in the middle of one of the great cities of the world. Finally, let me end on service. I have been more than pleasantly surprised during my short stay here to have the manager, Martin, approach me and strike up a conversation. Kenny at the bar is a great bar tender. I met the chef from New Zealand at the restaurant while having breakfast this AM. In short, the employees here are incredibly pleasant and cordial. The lost art of service is alive and well and The Puli. And oh, by the way, free wireless internet and a great tea and espresso service in each room. This hotel ticks the box in every way possible. Kudos to management and the staff on a fabulous job on every level possible.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dear GlobalBizMgr,

Thank you for your wonderful note on TA.

It was great to meet you too!

My teams are over the moon with such great comments from such a well travelled guest.

Until we meet again, hopefully very soon!

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Just spent four nights at the Puli after spending a week at the Indigo on the Bund. I liked the free wifi, which worked pretty well and the free Mini Bar and Nespresso machine in the room. The bed was also very comfortable and the quality of the sheets and towels was good, rooms were well insulated for noise and also had good black out curtains for light. The location was very convenient for everything on the Puxi side with a number of great bars and restaurants within a few minutes taxi ride. On a less positive side the public areas of the hotel were very warm, both the lobby, restaurant and elevators were more than a few degrees too warm, I have noticed this in other hotels in China so maybe it is just a chinese thing. I also found the prices of the food and beverages to be very high even for Shanghai, a cup of tea was $10 and a glass of house wine $20. There is also a new hotel being built over the road, although the hotel is well insulated you maybe advised to request a higher floor to be away from the occasional noise or better still a room on the other side of the hotel facing the park.

Room Tip: Rooms facing park are away from construction
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The Puli Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2011
Dear SterlingIncomeLLC,

Thank you for posting your review. Great to know that you have come from so far away to stay with us.

We have well noted your various specific comments and concerns and we have reviewed them all internally to see if and how we can work on them.

Shanghai (and China for that matter) is going through an immense growth and that is also reflected in the various construction projects in the city. All works in the city are subject to very strict rules and regulations, also with regards to noise and other possible interferences. Our rooms have been fitted out with double glazing in addition to full black out curtains to provide ultimate comfort for our guests.

Our location overlooking JingAn Park and JingAn temple is indeed very much enjoyed by our guests and thank you for confirming that!

Our website always has the latest, most up-to-date and sharpest promotional packages that cater for anyone who wants to stay with us.

Again thank you for sharing your experiences on TA and we look forward to welcoming you back in what we hope will be the not too distant future, should your travels bring you back to Shanghai.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

It is first time I stay this hotel, the room and location is quite good. nearby the shopping area, close to the attractive place -yuyuan garden, french concession....It's good
there is only one disappointed me was concierge service, they are not very helpful or willing to help, I was approach the concierge for some city informaiton, but the guy behind the counter just written down two places even not show it on the map or more suggest...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The Puli Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear marth294217,

Thank you for posting your review.

I am so sorry that our concierge could not be more helpful to you this time. We have reviewed our approach there, regretfully at your expense, to avoid future recurrence.

Many thanks for bringing this to my attention, this way I can do something about it.

We look forward to welcoming you back sooner rather than later.

Martijn van der Valk

Been to The Puli Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!