“It's got everything you want .... and more” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Puli Hotel and Spa

Save Saved
You added The Puli Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
The Puli Hotel and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 Changde Road, Shanghai 200040, China (Jing'an Temple)   |
Ranked #3 of 3,843 Hotels in Shanghai
London
“It's got everything you want .... and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

We stayed at the Puli for six nights when visiting our son who has just moved to Shanghai. One of his business partners had recommended the Puli and we were not disappointed.
It's uber modern with a zen like feel: the long lobby/bar area is full of very cool people having business meetings. However, despite being older and definitely not cool/trendy we were still made to feel very welcome! Our room had a real wow factor despite having a view over the elevated freeway and the building site opposite (we had requested a park view but we were staying in one of the cheaper rooms so did not expect one). The rooms have every amenity imaginable (the club floors even get a local mobile phone to use with free local calls), including great nespresso coffee machine, premium teas, all kinds of computer cables to hook up various electronic bits of kit, a desk drawer full of all sorts of office needs, etc. There was also a torch, which was needed when trying to stumble around the room in the middle of the night without waking my husband. The blackout blinds and venetians (electronically operated) are the most efficient I have come across. The bed was really comfortable with crisp premium cotton sheets changed daily and lovely pillows. The bathroom amenities were top quality too and there was a great sunken bath overlooking the freeway(!) as well as a walk in rainhead shower which was divine.

Breakfast was served in the main restaurant and I loved the European choices as well as the buffet which was very varied. There is also an oriental menu which I didn't try. The waiting staff were delightful and we had the same waiter every day who always greeted us warmly. The views over Jing'an park were delightful.

The pool and spa offer the same breathtaking views (equally great by day and night when the sky is filled with neon). The pool has a real 'wow' factor, being a long lap pool, which whenever I went was completely deserted. I didn't try any of the treatments so can't vouch for those but the spa and jacuzzi area were great with a sauna and steam room as well as a large jacuzzi. It was all well maintained, though I did notice that a light bulb needed changing the whole time I was there, and the first two days the steam room was not operational.

It's quite pricey but we got a good deal from the hotel web site: three nights for the price of two which seems to run throughout the year. There are other deals on offer too. We also seem to have got a good general rate but I guess this varies.

There is an attractive library area with a computer for guests' use (with printer) : this always seemed available but I guess this was because if you are 'uber cool' you will have your smartphone/laptop/ipad with you and be able to use the wifi which is free throughout the hotel.

I liked the decor which fused modern clean lines with ancient artifacts and the public areas have some large bold ethnic artwork.

My only criticism concerns the front desk/concierge service. We made a couple of requests: one was for a recommendation for a chinese herbal medicinist. None was forthcoming. A quick search via my iphone app brought up two recommendations in downtown Shanghai. The other concerned advice about the time needed to get by taxi to the rail station. We took the concierge's advice and were left with one and a half hours to spare before our train! It was only a fast 15 minute journey.

The location of the hotel is excellent in the Jing'an district right next to a metro entrance for lines 2 (which takes you everywhere from the Airport to People's Square, the Bund, Pudong and the fake goods markets) and 7. Jing'an Park is delightful - go take a walk in the early morning and watch the locals practicing Tai Chi and ballroom dancing. There is also (for a fee) a small traditional tea house in an ornamental garden on the site of the original burial ground for the temple. The modern Jing'an Temple is now across the road from the park next to the many upmarket shopping malls where you can shop till you drop!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

We spent one night at the Puli hotel and loved it. We stayed in a suite with impressive views, a perfectly decorated living room and beautiful bathroom. We enjoyed the bathtub overlooking the nearby temple. Free minibar and nesspresso machine were an appreciated plus. The lounge design is perfect, however, to enjoy it comfortably, we learned that we had to book the comfy couches 2 hours in advance. It seems that this is a regular business meeting place, which is a bit ackward resulting in not enough room for hotel guests. Apart from that, the experience was memorable even though short and we would not hesitate to come back there for our next stay in Shanghai.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011 via mobile

Top hotel, oasis in a busy city. Beautiful rooms, nicely decorated, a good spa, very nice restaurant with an international cuisine with local touch. Conveniently located near a metro entrance but also near a part of downtown. Very customer friendly staff. Will go back for certain to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I stayed at the Puli in mid December 2010 for about five days on a great package deal. Room was sooooo nicely designed. Unlike anything I have ever been in. I was happy to work in the room all day and night! Lobby smelled so good with a big live Xmas tree.

Breakfast was pricey but service was great. The staff, after the second day, REMEMBERED that I loved extra strawberry jam and every morning when I walked in the Manager would bring extra jam to me without asking! Now thats serious customer service! Maybe I am hard to forget. Ha ha! The room service was great too. The HAMBURGERS (believe me, I know my beef as a serious burger connoisseur. I find the best burgers all over USA and the world) were about as good as they get. And a real gourmet green Salad! Not that lame 'iceberg' white lettuce garbage. The only place that is maybe better is Blue Frog in Shanghai.

The Concierge was the best. The nice gentleman helped me track down stores nearby (actually he called all over Shanghai) for a rare electronic item I needed to buy. Also helped arrange express shipment pickup and boxes for me.

Puli is not the cheapest hotel in town, and their are lots of goog hotels in the area. I have tried many of them. But for style, good food, service, location and experience, I would go back every time if I could. Subway across street, French Concession also nearby so there is lot to explore. Go with a good attitude and you will have the time of your life.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
sanford, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

My adult son and I spent a week at the Puli while in Shanghai. You know you are in for a unique experience when you walk in the door. View their website. Their photographs accurately portray what awaits. The service is friendly and prompt. The staff went out of their way to meet every request, and seemed to know all their guests by name. The room was very clean and comfortable, with no noise from hallways, adjoining rooms, or even the busy street out front. It was everything one would expect from a luxury hotel. The trendy shops of West Nanjing Road are within walking distance, as is Din Tai Feng, THE place for dumplings in Shanghai. Many other great restaurants are in the neighborhood as well. It is a 10 minute taxi trip west of People's Square and The Bund, and literally across the street from the French Concession area. I would highly recommend The Puli to any Shanghai visitor desiring luxury accommodations.

• Stayed March 2011
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

Hotel is sitting right in the city which fits their objective - urban resort. Hotel lobby and room are very nice, just the simple modern niche style my husband and I always enjoy. Staff is very friendly all over. The only bad review I have to complain is on the package details. We signed up for the package "easy spring", in the website it says including 15% tax, 2 3-course dinner meal, 2 spa and breakfasts. Upon checkin they wanted to charge us the 15% tax, we have to take out our computer to show them what is listed on the webpage to get the charge take away. Then at dinner time the captain told us only one 3-course dinner is included, the other person needs to order a-la-carte. Upon checkout, we found breakfasts also charging on our bill, so we had to take extra 30-40min to show them again, on our cpu their webpage, what is included and what charges to take away. Luckily the receptionist is professional, willing to doubel check and correct the charges for us. But maybe hotel is too new, the communication between departments is not very well done so all the confusions arise.
There is only one restaurant in the hotel, the food is just soso...actually if you have the choice in room breakfast or down in restaurant for breakfast, the in room one is good enough....
Overall okay experience. Oh the spa is exceptionally good and professional. That I have to comment very good, very pricy too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
The_PuLi_GM, General Manager at The Puli Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments on your stay and thank you also for bringing to our attention that we have kept you waiting when we tried to sort out the package details at check out. Our packages are there to make things easier not more complicated. Not to make excuses but to at least let you know what happened: for unknown reasons the reservation was recognized for 1 person in stead of for 2 which made no sense but unfortunately caused the hick up in package details and progressively so throughout your stay. Please accept my apologies. Look forward to welcoming you back soon!
London, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Puli for five nights and it is undoubtedly one of the most beautifully designed new hotels around. Our room was stunning, large and had fantastic views. It's just a shame that the poor service makes the experience of staying here such a disappointment. The hotel is understaffed throughout; at breakfast we waited 25 minutes just to get a menu in a restaurant staffed by three people and serving around 60. Staff throughout the hotel - particularly on the front desk and the concierge staff - were rude and obnoxious, although I wonder to what extent this was due to the fact that they were often run off their feet. The hotel manager - who we wanted to talk to about our complaints - ignored us in favour of talking obsequiously to one of his regular guests. For a hotel of this design quality, and at this price, the poor level of service means that I would never return, nor recommend to others. Oh, and the hotel pool, while a beautiful design, is totally impractical for a hotel this size; the pool is so slender that no more than three people can swim at any one time, which meant that in a five-day stay we managed to use the pool only once. And the ladies' spa was out of order for the duration of our stay. Not really a five-star experience.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Puli Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!