“A battle at first but enjoyed over the 4 day period” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai

You added Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai to your Saves list
Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1288 Lujiazui Ring Road, Pudong District, Shanghai 200120, China (Formerly Gran Melia Hotel) (Lujiazui)   |
Ranked #46 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
Changchun, China
“A battle at first but enjoyed over the 4 day period”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Initial set up was hard but staff accomodated well. Internet was the biggest problem as initial connection was difficult in the room we were allocated, this was a surprise as we were in the CBD. Other than this all was good. Location was fantastic for Aquarium and telco tower. Shanghai walkway close buy and the tunnel to the bund was a pleasent surprise for the kids.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kempinski_Shanghai, General Manager at Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai ! Thank you for choosing our property and for taking the time to share your precious comment with us.

We have share your comment among management team and we certainly value your opinion and we will look into integrating those recommendations.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Shanghai and hope we can have another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Best regards,

Patrick Martinez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Thame, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

In many ways this is an excellent hotel. Hotel staff are willing and plentiful, hotel is well appointed, laid out and has a great position. Lobby bar is cool, bar at top is cooler. Penthouse pool is something to behold and never busy. Food is ok by western standards but very good for Asia. But there is a but, and its absolutely huge.
The air quality in Shanghai is simply terrible. For most of my stay it was classed as Unhealthy, occasionally Very Unhealthy. The foul air and its attendant particulates pervade the hotel (and I'm sure all other hotels). I've got a strong constitution but have been coughing and wheezing whilst hear and have simply been counting down the days to the trip is over. My advice is steer clear until the government cleans up the air which will take a number of years.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kempinski_Shanghai, General Manager at Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Sincere greetings from Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai .Thank you for taking your precious time to write the comment.

We are happy to learn that you truly enjoyed our hotel for Asia food, helpful service , swimming pool and ideal location! We also very sorry for the pollution in Shanghai.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai and thank you again for taking time and effort to support our hotel .

Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Located in Pudong financial district very near the TV tower. View over the river towards the Bund and the northern parts of the city. The rooms are spacious and well kept. On the top floor a spa with swimming pool, steam bath, sauna and a gym. The staff at the front desk speak english pretty well, in other areas of the hotel you might have greater difficulty. But will is there and with a translation app in the mobile phone you can fix just about anything :-)
The restaurants are expensive compared to what you can find just next door. In Super Brand Mall five minutes away you can find many restaurants and just about every western brand store you want. Here you will also find the subway which is by far the easiest way to get around town.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Greetings from Grand kempinski Hotel Shanghai ! Thank you for choosing our property and taking the time to post a nice comment sharing your recent stay with us.

It was our great pleasure to be able to provide you with such a good experience in Shanghai. We are thrilled to your generous compliment of our room and fitness center and Spa on the top floor with stunning view .

Your satisfaction is the best encouragement for us! Thank you for your comment again.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Best regards,

Heidenheim, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The hotel is a beautiful place and located close to Pearl Tower, Jin Mao Tower and the Financial Tower.
The rooms are large and especially the bathroom is really noteworthy: a separate walk-in shower, a separate toilet, bath tub, 2 lavatories and the most fluffy towels I ever had within a hotel.
The bed linen is changed every day. Everything is very clean and comfortable.
And although the hotel is located very centrally it is very quiet.

And I loved the breakfeast buffet!!! Ther is a large variety of Asian and European food, fresh fruit, cereals, fresh made egg dishes, fresh bakery products - sweet and non-sweet, smoked fish, Sushi... In short words: all you can imagine and desire.

And the view over the city and the Huangpu River is gorgeous too!

I can recommend it without any restriction. Even the price seems adequate to comparable hotels in Europe. I really can not agree with other reviews about that hotel.

A good place to come back again!

Room Tip: view to the river, higher then 10th floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Sincere greetings from the Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai .

Thank you for taking your precious time to write the comment.

We are delighted to know that you have a memorable stay at our hotel. It was our great
pleasure to be able to provide you with such a excellent experience in Shanghai at Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our rooms, stunning view and delicious breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai and again thank you for taking the time and effort to review our hotel .Thank you !

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I found the Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai on an online site. It was a good rate so I called the hotel in Shanghai to confirm. They quoted a rate which was about $100 more expensive per night than the online company so I asked them if they would honor the online rate. They agreed and I asked them to confirm with an email.

We checked in at 11:30 PM so we were tired and just needed to get in the room. I confirmed the rate again and they said OK as I had it in writing. When they ran my credit card for the three days my card was declined so I called the bank. The bank said the card was ok. It was because they exceeded my fraud protection limit of $1500 on the card!! $1500 for the room and security? They charged the full 3 nights and added another $600 for security deposit. Can you charge $1200 in the minibar or room service in one night?

I told them I was only staying one night because I was going to leave the next day. So the night manager tells me I have to pay a rate almost twice as much as the day rate quoted. That is when I told him to scratch, left and went to the Grand Hyatt where I got a room on the 64th floor for the same rate and $1000 total racked on my credit card for the room and the security deposit.

I have stayed in 3-400 luxury hotels around the world in the last 10 years. I have never had someone try to blatantly nail me for every penny they could to my face. When you book a room here remember that you may not be guaranteed that rate when you walk up to the front desk and be prepared to have your credit card rang up the full amount of the stay and a whole lot more so make sure you up your fraud limit before you leave because this may set off your fraud limit too if you are a safe traveler.

I also stayed at the Hyatt on the Bund for a change in scenery which was great! Id recommend you check this hotel out too. From now on Im sticking with the name brand hotels because I dont need a surprise at the front desk at 11:30 p.m. on a Sunday night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ronde, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

It started out bad - I had to activate a PR manager to find somebody who would care for my airport transfer. But then I got a good personal welcome, and a nice room on the 28th floor. Had some trouble with the 'free cocktails' they had mentioned on the 28th floor - the attending girl mentioned they had beer, coffee and soft drinks - and went up to the bar on the 30th floor, which, as it turned out, was occupied by a single dating event. So I eventually went back to the lobby bar, where I was treated well. Also tried the Italian restaurant, which was good. Apart from the cocktail glitch, staff was generally very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Greetings from Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai.Thank you for taking your precious time to share your comments with us.

We are thrilled to your generous compliment of our staff , helpful service and nice room. For during your stay inconvenience, please accept our sincere apologies.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure how many business hotels I've stayed in over a 30+ career in the maritime industry, but the number must be in the high hundreds, if not thousands, so when it comes to hotels I can be very boring on " if it was my hotel I'd do this ...... "
I'd put this one in my top ten best business hotels in the world, given the price and standard. Views are amazing, rooms are massive by old world standards, the bathrooms are devine, if only I had one like it home, staff are almost over attentive, there is a good range of food in several restaurants, there is a pool on the top floor, swim over the city. Fluffy towels, dressings gowns , white slippers, you get the idea. My only criticism is the cost of the water in the Italian restaurant, next time I'll water down the wine with wine, it's cheaper! If you are doing business, this is THE place to stay, but maybe not if you are a tourist, as the underground is a bit of a walk, and it's on the " wrong" side of the river, but given the cost/service, who cares!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kempinski_Shanghai, General Manager at Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Thomas Andrew C

Greetings from Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

It was our great pleasure to be able to provide you with such a excellent experience in
Shanghai at Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our rooms, stunning view and delicious food.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcoming you back to with us in the near future.

Patrick Martinez

Been to Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai? Share your experiences!