“Almost a $1500 deposit for 3 days stay?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai

Save Saved
You added Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai to your Saves list
Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1288 Lujiazui Ring Road, Pudong District, Shanghai 200120, China (Lujiazui)   |
Ranked #48 of 3,926 Hotels in Shanghai
Chicago, Illinois
“Almost a $1500 deposit for 3 days stay?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I found the Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai on an online site. It was a good rate so I called the hotel in Shanghai to confirm. They quoted a rate which was about $100 more expensive per night than the online company so I asked them if they would honor the online rate. They agreed and I asked them to confirm with an email.

We checked in at 11:30 PM so we were tired and just needed to get in the room. I confirmed the rate again and they said OK as I had it in writing. When they ran my credit card for the three days my card was declined so I called the bank. The bank said the card was ok. It was because they exceeded my fraud protection limit of $1500 on the card!! $1500 for the room and security? They charged the full 3 nights and added another $600 for security deposit. Can you charge $1200 in the minibar or room service in one night?

I told them I was only staying one night because I was going to leave the next day. So the night manager tells me I have to pay a rate almost twice as much as the day rate quoted. That is when I told him to scratch, left and went to the Grand Hyatt where I got a room on the 64th floor for the same rate and $1000 total racked on my credit card for the room and the security deposit.

I have stayed in 3-400 luxury hotels around the world in the last 10 years. I have never had someone try to blatantly nail me for every penny they could to my face. When you book a room here remember that you may not be guaranteed that rate when you walk up to the front desk and be prepared to have your credit card rang up the full amount of the stay and a whole lot more so make sure you up your fraud limit before you leave because this may set off your fraud limit too if you are a safe traveler.

I also stayed at the Hyatt on the Bund for a change in scenery which was great! Id recommend you check this hotel out too. From now on Im sticking with the name brand hotels because I dont need a surprise at the front desk at 11:30 p.m. on a Sunday night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Ronde, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

It started out bad - I had to activate a PR manager to find somebody who would care for my airport transfer. But then I got a good personal welcome, and a nice room on the 28th floor. Had some trouble with the 'free cocktails' they had mentioned on the 28th floor - the attending girl mentioned they had beer, coffee and soft drinks - and went up to the bar on the 30th floor, which, as it turned out, was occupied by a single dating event. So I eventually went back to the lobby bar, where I was treated well. Also tried the Italian restaurant, which was good. Apart from the cocktail glitch, staff was generally very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kempinski_Shanghai, General Manager at Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest

We are thrilled to your generous compliment of our staff , helpful service and nice room. For during your stay inconvenience, please accept our sincere apologies.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Shanghai and hope we can have another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure how many business hotels I've stayed in over a 30+ career in the maritime industry, but the number must be in the high hundreds, if not thousands, so when it comes to hotels I can be very boring on " if it was my hotel I'd do this ...... "
I'd put this one in my top ten best business hotels in the world, given the price and standard. Views are amazing, rooms are massive by old world standards, the bathrooms are devine, if only I had one like it home, staff are almost over attentive, there is a good range of food in several restaurants, there is a pool on the top floor, swim over the city. Fluffy towels, dressings gowns , white slippers, you get the idea. My only criticism is the cost of the water in the Italian restaurant, next time I'll water down the wine with wine, it's cheaper! If you are doing business, this is THE place to stay, but maybe not if you are a tourist, as the underground is a bit of a walk, and it's on the " wrong" side of the river, but given the cost/service, who cares!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kempinski_Shanghai, General Manager at Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Thomas Andrew C

Greetings from Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

It was our great pleasure to be able to provide you with such a excellent experience in
Shanghai at Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our rooms, stunning view and delicious food.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcoming you back to with us in the near future.

West Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We spent two nights recently at the Kempinski during a very heavy rainstorm. Because we had been traveling for some time, we decided to just have dinner in and enjoy the hotel. We found our room to be one of the best - very large, immaculately clean and well appointed. Our view of the river was lovely, and would be spectacular in better weather. The pool and spa area are delightful and spotless as well.

Our check in and check out procedure went smoothly, and we found the staff to be efficient and eager to assist, even if English was a challenge for them. A delightful young Frenchman on staff was able to assist us, and we were greeted by him with a wave any time we passed through the lobby.

We did not have breakfast included with our room, which was probably a mistake, as there were not suitable restaurants in the immediate vicinity for breakfast. The second morning, we did find a great new coffee shop serving terrific pastries and coffee called Cafe Lugo....just down the stairs as you cross over the pedestrian bridge approaching the Mall.

Directly behind the hotel is a very quiet and beautiful road/walkway that runs along the Bund for some distance. There are several great looking seafood and Italian restaurants for dinner within a few metres of the hotel along this road.

All in all, we felt the Kempinski was a wonderful hotel at a very reasonable price and we would happily stay there again.

Dear guest

Greetings from Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai ! Thank you for choosing our property and taking the time to post a nice comment sharing your recent stay with us.

It was our great pleasure to be able to provide you with such a good experience in Shanghai. We are thrilled to your generous compliment of service, spacious room and our spectacular bund view room.

Your satisfaction is the best encouragement for us! Thank you for your comment again.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Best regards,

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is an ok hotel, not sure if i would stay again though. Not because it was bad, but i feel there are better locations and values out there.
It is about 2-3 blocks from the pearl tower and IFC mall (which we found ourselves constantly walking to)....the shanghai aquarium is about a block away.
There is a decent food court next to the hotel....chain store food court, costa coffee, and a mid range taiwanese restaurant. This is where office workers go eat. Another block down, are more food places...so, location wise...not too bad.
Higher end eatery like south beauty, you'll have to go to the IFC.
View...our bund view room was about 1/3 bund view...most of the rooms will be partially blocked by the DBS building...it will also block the Pearl tower. get a room higher than 25, i guess...our room was on the 19th, so it was a bit lame.
Room size is typical.. not a bad size. The bathroom has a separate shower stall, and bathtub. Amenities were decent. Shower pressure was strong, it has a rain shower head that was a real downpour...and has body jets as well.
Blowdryer could be stronger...but that's typical hotel blowdryer..and i've seen worse.
Only thing about the bathroom was it had an all class wall...which is kinda cool....except when you're sleeping already, and someone had to use the bathroom and turns on the light in the middle of the night. Its also glass all the way to the toilet...which could be privacy issues if you have outside guests in the room.

Bed was excellent...pillow top mattress, with very firm but fluffy pillows.

only annoying thing was the lack of electrical outlets by the bedside. I had to unplug the lamp and alarm clock to plug in my iphone. Other wise, sleep wise was great. It had window curtain controls on bedside and master light switches.

general facility is par for course....nice swimming pool on a highfloor with decent hotel spa. im sure theres a lot of pics here.
There is a buffet downstairs...which is about average for the class it is in.lobby is big and elegant and service has been excellent.
cleaning staff has also been very efficient and almost invisible.

Overall a great hotel for what it is and where it is.....this was a inherited hotel from Melia, so, i feel Kempinski has been doing its best.
If you have business in the area, and if the Ritz, Park Hyatt or the IFC residence is a bit too expensive....this would be a good option. Otherwise, find a place across the bund...it would only be a few RMB more to take a taxi across ..and the subways are usually no problem.

Room Tip: get a higher room floor....
Dear Guest

Greetings from Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai .

Thank you for choosing our property and for taking the time to share with us some experience in our hotel . We are very happy that you love our swimming pool and Spa.

We certainly value your opinion and we will look into integrating those recommendations in the
near future.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcoming you back to us in the near future and witness our improvement.

Best regards,

Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

The rooms are very comfortable, very well equipped with a view on the Bund. The fitness area and the swimming pool is very convenient: it is great running on the tread mill just in front of Oriental Pearl Tower. The lobby is very large, not very crowded and adapted for unformal meetings. The western restaurant is very good but rather expensive for china. The hotel is not too far from the subway (10 minutes walk).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest

Greetings from Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai.Thank you for taking your time to write the precious comment!

It was our great pleasure to be able to provide you with such a good experience here in our hotel. We are pleased to learn that you truly enjoyed our rooms, indoor swimming pool and ideal location .

Your satisfaction is the best compliments for us. Thank you for your comment again, which encourages our staff to consistently do our best for our valuable guests.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Shenyang
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Just spent 4 nights in an executive 'Bund view' room at the Grand 'K'. From check in to check out, it was a super experience. The Room was large, spotlessly clean with a great view of the river and the bathroom was superb , complete with bath, separate rainfall shower and jets. Taking breakfast and complimentary evening drinks and snacks on the exec. floor was definitely worth paying the extra for. Also, the executive check out service saved us from the queue when the front desk was very busy. The hotel is maintained to an extremely high standard and the staff are wonderfully polite and efficient. Positioned directly on the Bund, the hotel has easy access to all that Shanghai has to offer. This was our second 'Golden week' stay at the Grand Kempinski, or the Grand Melia as it was last year, hopefully it will not be our last.

Room Tip: Executive Bund View a must
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kempinski_Shanghai, General Manager at Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear BernieJan

Greetings from Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai.Thank you for taking your precious time to share your comments with us. Thank you so much for your great support.

It was our great pleasure to be able to provide you with such a good experience in Shanghai. We are thrilled to your generous compliment of our clean rooms,helpful service ,breathtaking view and ideal location!

Patrick Martinez

Been to Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai? Share your experiences!