“Beautiful grand hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Oriental Shanghai

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Oriental Shanghai to your Saves list
Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Oriental Shanghai
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.2288 Pudong Avenue, Pudong New District, Shanghai 200136, China (Jinqiao)   |
Ranked #119 of 3,734 hotels in Shanghai
Melbourne, Australia
“Beautiful grand hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

An elegant hotel with spacious beautiful rooms. The bathroom is large; you can even watch TV while having a bath and the separate shower is spacious and works well. Room size is very spacious and the breakfast has a good variety. Location is away from downtown but when travelling in a group you don't have much free time to wander around the local area.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

195 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

First of all what next 78 is a liar. How can a one star hotel have a spa a swimming pool and a breakfast and dinner buffet? I had dinner at the buffet and really enjoyed the creamy potato soup it was awesome.

Room Tip: Choose the most expensive room with a nice view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

the hotel is brand new. Rooms are very large with a modern bathroom. The bed is quite comfortable. The food is perfect with a very helpful staff. The location of this hotel is quite convenient when we need to stay in Pudong and don't like the huge traffic jam of most of the Shanghai area.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a river view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I've stayed at the Wyndham in November 2012 for business and enjoyed my stay. There is no hotel of this quality in Pudong that can compete for the pricing.

i found the staff very helpful and the General Manager very present and dedicated. The Chinese restaurant on the 2nd floor is absolutely delicious.

Make sure you always carry a Chinese card of the hotel on you at all time (even coming out of airport) as the taxis are not all aware of this hotel. It's not in the financial disctrict although not very far.

I would understand the complaints about the surroundings of the hotel as there is not very much to do or visit. However, taxis are so cheap and available that it's quite convenient to move around town from there.

Concierge was very good and recommended us a great restaurant on the Bund. So great, I went there twice in the same week. Taxi ride from Wyndham to the Bund will take about 30 mins with traffic and will cost around $10US.

Great location if you are in Shanghai for a tradeshow.

I'm planning to go back there in May 2013

Room Tip: You should take the executive package. It's cheap and includes breakfast in the morning, and coc...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Many will complain about its short falls or location, however for value for money in Shanghai I cannot find better, I have been In hotels 5 times the cost and they are only marginally better. And only on a service front, I could not find fault with the quality, decor, room etc. breakfast could be improved on, but the saving over other quality hotels will more than pay for meals out, taxis etc etc. Highly recommended for people who want high quality on a budget and can put up with the usual Chinese service.

Room Tip: Views aren't great anywhere in shanghai so I guess keep away from lift shafts as per usual I. Bi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WEST PALM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The staff is courteous and the hotel has many qualities. Rooms are spacious beds are comfortable. A previous guest mentioned that one can not control the temperature in the room.
It appears that even though one may chose to lower the temperature the system
won't allow one to control the temp in the room. The temperature in the room would go back
up to 22 degrees C or higher. This is in the winter. The bed has a comforter and that means the room is really too hot. Some of this is might be governed by the country itself. That being said an easy and economically sound solution would be to provide those guests who prefer a cooler room a standing fan. Not terribly expensive and would circulate the air in the room. Otherwise it is a very nice property and staff is friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I want to start by saying that I have been to Shanghai before and was aware that this hotel was not in the prime location of the Pudong financial district. This was a personal trip and I stayed here because the room rate was almost half that of the InterContinental at Pudong. I have previously stayed at the InterContinental and the Courtyard Marriott in the Pudong area. My feeling was its a 5 star property, how bad can it get? and I was willing to make the 20 minute taxi ride into the Pudong area. I was totally wrong -

1. Checkin experience - They said they could not find my reservation, even though I showed them an email confirmation. Made me wait for 20 mins (I'm fine with it, software glitches can happen) but what got to me was they did not have the courtesy to say either thank you for your wait or sorry for your wait. It felt like they were doing me a favor by giving me a room.

2. Checkout experience - They made me sign 5 or 6 sheets of paper. Seriously? In this age when most companies are trying to go green you need to have my signature on 5 sheets. I did not have any room service or use the mini bar. I just stayed there for a night. In addition to this, there is a tendency for people in China, India and some other countries to jump the line while waiting. I am aware of this but what got to me was the lady at the checkout counter did not follow the protocol at other branded global hotels and locations to check me out first when she had acknowledged my presence in the line previously. Again, no sorry no apology. There was also a gentleman smoking in the checkout line and I'm assuming being a 5 star property you should not be allowed to smoke wherever you please.

3. Concierge - Limited spoken english skills (which is again fine), but could not provide any assistance or recommendations to grab dinner int he Pudong area. I have been to Shanghai twice previously and I had more knowledge about restaurants or malls with restaurants in Pudong that the two guys manning the concierge area. They can only call a taxi for you, don't expect any recommendations. This was my experience, maybe there are other people at the concierge desk who are more knowledgeable.

4. Front desk - During checkin I enquired about the spa services at the hotel. They had no brochure or even a phone number for me to call the spa. It looked like the spa service (which is on the 6th floor) was part of some other hotel. At other 5 star or even 4 star properties when you like to use some other service, the concierge or the service provider (like spa, tours, etc) call you to your room. I got no call from the spa service, infact I had to go to my room and call the operator later in the day.

5. Spa - Room had no brochure about the services and the rates. I called to enquire about their services, they gave me a brief overview, prices were fine however we were going to head out into the city so I told them I'll call back if I needed to use their services. They called me back at 11:30 at night to ask if I needed a massage. Who does that at a 5 star property!!! Any inclination of using the spa service the next day went away with that one call.

6. Water clog in the sink - When you are running a hotel mechanical, electrical and plumbing issues are bound to happen. I am not going to ding them for that. What got me was the guy who came to resolve the water clogging in sink used one of the room towels. Thats not the issue, the problem was he left the towel that he used to clean all the mess in the bathroom. Why would you leave a soiled, wet and dirty towel that was used to wipe out the clogging in the bathroom?

7. Air conditioning issue - At night we felt the room was just not getting warm enough for us. They sent a technician who said it might take time for the room to reach the 26 deg C temperature that we were hoping to have. It was at 18 or 19 deg the whole day. He suggested we get a heater, made a call to the front desk and left. In 5 minutes (kudos for that), a lady appeared with the heater, when I opened the door she just handed me the cable of the heater and left. I would have expected her to push the heater into the room and hook it for us, again wishful thinking or maybe I've been spoiled by my stays at InterContinental, Crowne Plaza and the Marriott's of the world.

Well everything was not bad, one star for the size of the room and cleanliness even though the bedding was a little worn. WIFI was free and the speed was good. We asked for a universal adapter which was sent up promptly and so was the plumbing guy to resolve the sink water clogging.

Hotels are in the hospitality business where courtesy and service are two critical parameters for being successful. You are there to make the stay comfortable and memorable. If I was staying at a one or two star hotel I would not expect more, but this coming from a property termed as being a 5 star is outrageous. I would suggest spending the extra money and staying at a InterContinental, Crowne Plaza or Courtyard. They are in Pudong area but more importantly the service resonates with the brand name.

And yes, all this for a one night stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Oriental Shanghai? Share your experiences!