“Fun for a night but we won't be rushing back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental

You added Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental to your Saves list
Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Crossing of Jiasong South Road and Sichen Road | 3388 Sichen road, Sijing Town, Songjiang District, Shanghai 201601, China   |
Ranked #63 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
4.5 of 5 stars 389 Reviews
Shanghai
“Fun for a night but we won't be rushing back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We stayed for a night during National Holiday week because we were with friends who wanted to stay there and out of curiosity having been to the Meridien Hotel nearby previously. We avoided the check in rush by arriving after 5pm and basically everything was fine. Kids had a good time in the pool, service was as you would expect. Rooms a bit on the small side but no real complaints there. You're not supposed to sleep 4 to a room, you are expected to pay for another one, but there is no reason for this that I could see given the room size unless just to make more money for the hotel operators and owners.

We ate out in the evening and enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the morning. Breakfast buffet was substandard really, you have to ask for everything and then it is willingly provided - freshly ground coffee, extra fresh fruit, pepper mill etc. In meeting those requests the staff were really excellent.

Would we go back? Possibly but to be honest I think I prefer the better quality of the downtown hotels for a city escape. A reason to return would be the beach (see photos) which the children enjoyed and the rooms on 1/F that front straight onto the pool which would be fantastic during the outdoor pool season. If we did go back I would try booking through an agent rather than direct with the hotel which we are told gets a better rate despite the online best rate guarantee...

Room Tip: Some of the 1/F rooms have direct access to outdoor pool if that is what you want.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
SofitelSheshan, General Manager at Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Dear Safemach,

Thank you very much for your review and for bringing to our attention the less than satisfactory experience you have encountered while recently staying at our hotel.

The said circumstances which have been pointed out have been discussed with our restaurant management team so to review our current practices and continuously improve the service we provide to our guests.

Sofitel.com has a best rate guarantee so do not hesitate to check it first when making your next booking.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review your experience and we look forward to welcoming you again to Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental during summer when your kids will fully enjoy our beach.

Damian Niesel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
Bonn, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We decided to go for one night stay during Moon Festival in China (Sept 11-12). Unfortunately we had had the same idea like all the other families from Shanghai.

We arrived at the hotel 3pm (check in time), and found a messy reception desk. I'm 8 months pregnant now, and nobody cared. We managed to give our passport, 10 minutes to check something it was already paid. The guy gave us back our passports, then I asked: where the room key? The answer: you may sit down and wait, rooms are not ready! WHAT?!?!? I DON'T CARE! I said. It's 3 PM, I 8 months pregnant and I want the room now. Soon he manage to give us a room. In this meantime, a old guy was smoking in the reception, and I have to ask somebody to tell him (!!) that he couldn't do that.

When we were leaving, extremely upset with the mess (and and went there only to relax!), I bumped with the general manager. After he heard my complainant, he said that the problem was the Chinese guests!!!!! goodness, they don't have trained staff and he didn't think twice to blame the guests (ok, they didn't help much, but you cannot blame them!!!)

Comfortable rooms, only 2 good channels on cable TV (CNN and Discovery). Good toiletries.

Dinner time: we decided to try the main restaurant in the hotel. Of course, it looked like a circus, so full it was. Receptionist asked if we had made reservations (!!!). With some team work, we manage to get a table. Good food, price though (616 RMB per couple), no drinks included.

Breakfast: we got a table, I left my pregnant vitamins, placed my napkin on the side and went to pick up my food....when I came back I found a hole family place in our table, the kid playing with my medicine......ahahah...I have to laugh when I remember that scene!. Mistake from the staff and from the family. I kicked them out from the table.

Swimming pool time: this is the ONLY thing that i can tell that saved this hotel. They have a nice swimming pool with beach sand around....not enough chairs though, but we placed our towels on the sand, and I could feel like home (Brazil).

Check out was smooth..however...I had my bottle of water half full and I asked the staff to full it....what they did? they through on the trash and I left with my water.

All of this happened in 20 hours!!! what would happen if I had stayed for the weekend??

Would I go back there: yes, only because of the beach sand, during weekdays, on non-holiday period. Otherwise, forget it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
SofitelSheshan, General Manager at Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Dear Guest,

It is needless to say, that there is no justification for the way our Front Office handled the situation during your check-in and check-out. The said circumstances which had been pointed out to me have been discussed with the Department Heads concerned, so to review our current practices to avoid such inappropriate service to our guests in the future.

We will be the first to admit that the new non smoking regulation still a challenge in China. We therefore appreciate you taking the time to post your review. It is through guests like you that we can correct our shortcomings.

We understand that no amount of apologies can change the poor impression you have of our hotel. However, if you use the Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental again, please contact me directly so that I can handle your reservation personally.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review your experience and we look forward to welcoming you again to Sheshan.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Stayed 3 nights at this hotel. Got off to a very bad start at check in, I arrived the day before the Chinese autumn holiday, the staff were swamped by the number of people checking in, there were some very angry guests, not surprising as it took us almost an hour of waiting in line to check in.
The hotel is beautiful, very well kept, I could not fault the room, very well appointed and very clean.
Staff were very polite and could not do enough for you the standard of English was quite good, I never had a problem making myself understood. Staff on the club floor were especially good, a credit to the hotel.
In a quiet location but still easy to visit central Shanghai, line 9 on the Metro is about 10 minutes walk away.
All in all a good choice ever better when check in problems are sorted.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review highlighting your positive experience. We have also taken note of your comments and the shortcomings you have mentioned are certainly not acceptable.

The specific matters that you have pointed out have been discussed with the concerned department heads so that more care will be taken and the staff trained accordingly.

We are also pleased to see that you were satisfied with our facilities as well as the level of service provided.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review your experience and we look forward to welcoming you again soon to Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental.

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We just stayed there one night for birthday celebration. The reception staff treated us generous by providing a birthday cake and club benefits with complimentary. We were so happy to enjoy big pools inside and outside of building. In the morning, we had jogging in the beautiful garden, listening bird's singing. Dinner buffet also value for money, fresh seafood, grand presentation and tasty flavors. Especially service from all staffs is courtesy and helpful. Thanks for an unforgettable stay, we will be coming back someday

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
SofitelSheshan, General Manager at Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Dear HelenYang,

Thank you very much for your review highlighting your positive experience while recently staying at the Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental.

It is my pleasure to share your comments on our hotel employees’ efficiency and working attitude with the team, who exemplified the standard of caring, personal service for which we are striving.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review your experience and we look forward to welcoming you again to Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental.

Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

It's the 2nd time I stay there. First time was during their soft opening. Both time the idea was to just enjoy the hotel facilities and not to do any sightseeing. Very pretty hotel with a stunning lobby. Altogether we were 3 families with 4 toddlers and 2 teenagers.

- The rooms are comfortable and spacious with a balcony. The design is very attractive with dark wood and Chinese touch.
- Outdoor swimming pool is more a water path that leads you around the hotel. Not really deep (a bit above your waist ) so can't really swim far but it's great for relaxing. Kids love the falling water and the small pools. As well as the sand beach. Adults will enjoy the pool bar that let you sip your drink while sitting in the water.
- indoor swimming pool is a regular one so better for real swimmer.
- Fitness center is of decent size and has high quality Technogym equipment.
- the sand beach is small but quite clean. There's a outdoor shower area and the staff provides towels.
- kid's playground is basic but nice. A bit out of the way though.
- breakfast is buffet style. Offers Western and Chinese food. Staff is a bit overwhelmed when it gets busy. Food is good but not fantastic. Could not find great bread as it was all already dry bread. That should not be the case for a so called 5-star hotel.
- restaurants are quite expensive. And the annoying thing is to see guests passing through it wearing bikinis as one of the door leads to the pool. I don't need to see half-naked people or wet people while I'm eating. They could make a small passage for these people to reach their room by pushing the tables and putting plants.
- Check-in and check-out is still a pain. Takes them ages to find your reservation, to get your cash back or just to print a receipt.
- staff needs more English training.

Overall I really like the Sofitel. I like the design and the facilities. It a great place to get away from Shanghai. Find it more kid friendly than its competitor. It certainly can aim for improvement on many levels (language, front desk, more chairs on the beach) but I'm happy and will certainly come back.

Room Tip: they have rooms with direct access to the outdoor pool
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Jupriren,

I am very pleased to see that you and your family were satisfied with our facilities and enjoyed your stay. We have also taken note of your comments and the shortcomings you have mentioned are certainly not acceptable. Check-in and Check-out are areas where training is being intensified to raise our guest experience to the level expected from a Sofitel hotel.

Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I would not rate this hotel 5 starts if compared to others across the globe, rooms are spacious and clean but noise from traffic outside is very annoying.
Restaurants and breakfast have have everything a international traveller might need and service is generally very good. One negative point here is that many of the staff throughout the hotel have a very basic understanding of the english language and will not be able to help you with even basic questions.
Check-in was a mess as the chinese guests seem to check-in and out en mass which swamps the reception staff. Came in on an early flight and was hoping for a room to be ready but they made me wait another 4 hours before one was available.Breakdown in communication between housekeeping and reception?
So, a nice hotel overall but not perfect by far and not deserving of the 5 star status just yet.

Room Tip: rooms on the poolside may be quiter as the other side of the hotel lacks suffient sound proofing
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear D013,

Thank you very much for your review. We have taken note of your comments and the shortcomings you have highlighted are certainly not acceptable.

We are sorry for the inconvenience brought to you by delaying your check-in and we will more than ever continuously stress our internal English training to avoid such inappropriate service to our guests in the future.

France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Check-in and out are out of control. Sofitel Sheshan Oriental has a peculiar check-in and out policy: check-in starts as late as 3pm while latest check-out is at 12. Make sure you avoid those two times if you don't want to queue.

Indeed, upon our arrival on a saturday afternoon, we were greeted with an hour long queue for check-in so we decided to wait at the swimming pool which was equally crowded. The main pool (by the fake beach) had been taken over mainly by families with young kids and inflatable objects. There was no lounger available and worse yet, no more towel ("sorry, we've run out"). However, the pool is big and surprisingly, by swimming a bit further, we were able to find a quiet spot.

Thankfully we found the rooms to be nicely designed and up to China's Sofitel's standards: L'Occitane toiletries, complementary Evian, walk-in shower + bathtub, TV speakers in the bathroom, international TV channels... The food both at the buffet and Japanese restaurant were fine, not good, nor bad.

All in all, Sofitel is a 4 star property with overwhelmed staff (looooong queues and inefficient check in and out, not enough lounge chair and towels at the swimming pool, 40min wait at the restaurant, staff with no English skills...). Despite that, I still feel it is a good option to get away from Shanghai for the week-end (there aren't that many other choices anyways) but next time, I would avoid school holidays when the hotel is less crowded.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear GZreviewer,

Thank you very much for your review highlighting your positive experience and we have also taken note of your comments and the shortcomings you have mentioned are certainly not acceptable.

The said circumstances which have been pointed out have been discussed with the Department Heads concerned, so to review our current practices and continuously stress our internal training to avoid such inappropriate service to our guests in the future.

Damian Niesel

Been to Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental? Share your experiences!