“Wie in Wien” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vienna Cafe

Vienna Cafe
25 Shaoxing Road, Shanghai 200020, China (Hengshan Road)
021-64452131
Neighborhood: Hengshan Road
Shanghai
“Wie in Wien”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

This is a perfect place for a peace of Cake and a coffee. Small, cute and high quality.
Can only recommend this place

Shanghai
“Over hyped”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I found it online and went there while with my girlfriend on our weekly strolls through Shanghai. The lineup was not super long, but I think we were just lucky. The cake LOOKS AMAZING, but really just tastes average with an above average price. I don't think I would go back again. If I do, I'll definitely just have a coffee though.

Melbourne, Australia
“Expected Better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

The cakes look great but are not moist. Disappointed on two occasions. Won't return.

Hamburg, Germany
“still the best European Café in Shanghai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Vienna Café is a coffee- and cake-lovers heaven in Shanghai. According to my husband the best cheesecake in town, if you are looking for the real European baked cheese cake with just the right balance of fluffy and moist. My favorite is the chocolate-banana cake with a chocolate cake baked base, then raw bananas topped with a super yummy layer of chocolate mousse inspired cream on top. They also serve Austrian coffee specialties and seasonal special drinks like elderflower cordial in summer and mulled wine (Gluehwein) in winter. Free flow of water, refilled as often as your glass is empty, what more can you ask for? If you want to unwind in a cozy little café with typical "Wiener Kaffeehaus" atmosphere, this is the place to go. Make sure to make a reservation on Sunday afternoons the typical time for "Kaffeetrinken".

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing food and coffee and grumpy manager let this place down!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

My partner and I visited this cafe after hearing about it from a friend - I thought that it would be a refreshing change to the usual big coffee chains, however we were totally disappointed with the quality of the coffee and cakes on offer. We had a white chocolate cheesecake which didn't have an ounce of white chocolate flavour to it and was very dry, almost like a sponge cake rather than a rich, creamy chesecake should be - we even had to wash it down with our coffee because it was so dry! It was also tasteless and therefore very disappointing - maybe other cakes are better? The coffees were also very expensive for what they were and were nothing special at all. The western lady who I assume is the manager couldn't raise a single smile and looked very miserable and grumpy - not a great welcome when you enter the cafe! I definitely wouldn't go again - there are better independent and unique coffee shops around the city.

• Visited July 2011