The location of this hotel is pretty great, right next to all of the upscale shopping malls of West Nanjing Lu. About a 5 minute walk to the metro line which is in a food area with international cuisine like Vietnamese, Subway (sandwich shop), DQ, bakeries, dimsum, etc.
The room was much bigger than we expected! We booked the cheapest room they had on agoda.com for $80US/nt and didn't expect much, but we got a suite with a separate sitting area, desk, couch, and kitchenette (stove top, microwave, fridge, but NO cookware or utensils! The TV got English channels like Discovery and the bathroom was very nice, clean, and spacious as well. The bed was a bit hard but this is China and there was at least an attempt at a mattress pad, albeit a thin one.
The service was the disappointment. One day we came back at 4pm, tired and sweaty from walking around humid Shanghai to find that there were no towels in our room. I called housekeeping and they said that there were "none available" and that they "would be brought up later". I was irritated because they had the little sign in the bathroom that said they would not take your towels (to save water) unless you placed them in the basket, but every day they took them anyway. We ended up going out again and upon return at 9pm found that we STILL did not have towels. I called concierge and they were delivered about 15 minutes later. Still, not such a big deal if you're getting a good deal on a reasonably nice hotel.
The bellhop and concierge were also a bit judgmental about who they assisted in the lobby, which we discovered upon checkout. The bellhop was just standing there, watching us open the door for ourselves and carry our luggage. There were several taxis by the curb and nobody offered to flag one up for us, we had to walk down to the street to get in. BUT the person coming out behind us (who was a bit older and better dressed) was treated like royalty. This blatant bigotry was not appreciated from the staff and I felt should be mentioned although again, not that big of a deal if you're getting a good deal on a decent hotel. Had I paid the full price of the room I would be much more critical.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Tulip Ashar Suites - Shanghai Central is strategically situated in the prime of central Shanghai - West Nanjing Road. Numerous luxurious brands, entertainment and high-end office buildings are just adjacent to it. The hotel is not only easy access to two international airports via Yan'An Expressway, but as well to all the major city sightseeing spots, namely People’s Square, The Bund, Xintiandi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Despegar.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Golden Tulip Ashar Suites City Centre Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Tulip Ashar Suites City Centre Shanghai Hotel Shanghai
- Central View Hotel
- Central View Apartment Hotel