“Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Swissotel Grand Shanghai

You added Swissotel Grand Shanghai to your Saves list
Swissotel Grand Shanghai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 Yuyuan Road, Jing'an District, Shanghai 200040, China (Jing'an Temple)   |
Ranked #36 of 3,934 Hotels in Shanghai
4.5 of 5 stars 654 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
“Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

The hotel is oppositve to our Shanghai office so the location is really ideal to me. Apart from that, the hotel is next to a large shopping mall and a high end supermarket so you can easily pick up some good food and wine in a reasonable price. It is also close to the subway station.

The hotel is relatively new and rooms are fantastic.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
HotelManager-SSH, Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Echoi2000

Thank you for your most recent posting of your experience here at Swissôtel Grand Shanghai. It is wonderful to read of your experience, highlighting our location (especially great for your offices!). We are in a prime part of Shanghai with so much to do and see literally on our doorstep, and this is what is so important to many travelers coming to a city the size of Shanghai. Located on subway lines 2 & 7 makes our hotel a prime spot to access the rest of city with ease and we are thrilled to know you experienced our hotel in such a way.

The hotel is relatively new – built in 2008 and maintained extremely well. We are delighted that you found our rooms to be fantastic…so please come back soon, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Swissôtel Grand Shanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Since my passport was not available at the moment I arrived, the reception manager rejected to check me in and suggested me to go to the police station. The hotel management shall educate their front line managers to handle such exceptional situations more professional.

The taxi drivers which wait next to the hotel have some arrangement with the doormen to only bring guest to the airport. Since the driver I got misunderstood the doorman and I only asked for a short trip, he was upset during the entire ride. Such kind of arrangements shall be forbidden my the hotel management.

At the breakfast I asked for a glass and the waiter didn't understand. It turned out that he was from another department 'helping out'. There seems to be problems to find qualified personal for their service.

Location, room and housekeeping were good for the price.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear CH050614

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your most recent stay with us here at Swissôtel Grand Shanghai.

Allow me to address each of your points you noted in your feedback. We as a hotel follow all rules and regulations set out by the China Immigration Law, which states that ALL guest who check into a hotel must be done so with Valid ID for china nationals and for all Foreign guest, a Passport is mandatory. This is not something we wish to do to inconvenience any of our guests, however we must comply with the law. In situations like this, we will send one of our Supervisors with any guest that has had their passport stolen or lost, to the local police station to help the guest in getting the necessary paperwork required by China Immigration, to check into the hotel. I do believe we did so in your situation – however if we are wrong, please contact me directly so we may see what happened.

In regards to your experience with the taxi drivers, your comments on the taxi drivers having some arrangements with the doormen will most certainly be looked into – thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Whilst we are very sorry for your experience in the taxi drivers attitude, we have no control of those taxis as they are not under the hotel management. If you still have the Taxi receipt for that journey, we will be more than happy to make a official complaint to the Public Transportation Bureau regarding the attitude of the Driver and prevent him from doing any future pick-up’s from our hotel in the future.

It is disappointing to read that you had a challenge in communication with one of our service staff in Cafe Swiss at breakfast. We do have to, from time to time depending on our levels of occupancy, draft in team members from other areas of the hotel to assist in breakfast as it can get extremely busy, and we wish for our guest to experience fast and efficient service. We will always aim to ensure that our team members have a level of English to be able to communicate with our guests, but clearly we were not able to do so here, and for this we are extremely sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Whilst you had experienced a few challenges in the hotel, we do hope that we can welcome you back in the near future. Your comments on our location certainly makes our hotel a top choice for travelers coming to Shanghai, and along with our great bedrooms and excellent housekeeping staff, we hope that we can rebuild your confidence in our hotel once again.

Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

We were upgraded to a deluxe room as it was our first time and loved it! It is one of the cleanest, and best maintained hotels in Shanghai.

Location: Perfect. 5 mins to Jingan Temple subway station, near French concession which is full of cool bars, cafés, boutiques and all. 10-15 mins subway ride to downtown (East Nanjing). There is lots of luxury malls and some nice cafés right outside the hotel too. Lots of choice for food. Element fresh (in the Kerry sth mall), Wagas and many more + a good supermarket (Freshmart) with lots of imported products is just right out of subway exits 3/4. There is a cute book cafe on the way to the hotel too. Coffee and teas are more pricey than normal, around 50 rmbs, but place is lovely and has some English books as well. Has more expensive, high quality Chinese teas.

Rooms: Comfortable and clean. The bed is a bit harder than usual but quite comfy and pillows are way too soft but there are extra ones in the closet. The view was ok, overlooking to the big malls and the main street outside.

Towels: Bathrobes were great, soft, white and new. However, big towels were hard, grey and old.

Spa: The spa is quite good and clean in general. Sauna would do better with yellow sunlight lamp because the white one makes it too depressing and dark. Temperature in both steam room and sauna felt a bit too hot, but private jacuzzis (3 small ones for around 2 people) were great. Not too hot or cold and a pleasure to sit in. There is also a small cold pool in the corner to jump in after the sauna if you like. Pool has sunlight coming in, and looks quite clean. It was not as warm for me get in and there was some kind of moulding here and there but not as much as other 5 star hotels. The view from the pool is not that good, overlooking messy apartment balconies but their inside decoration is nice.

Breakfast: Good food and service. It was easy to find someone to ask for coffee and empty dishes were taken away quickly. Rarely happens in even in international 5 star hotels in China. There was no olives and especially the bread, salad selection and coffee could be better- was a bit too weak- but it was good overall.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelManager-SSH, Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear IndependantTtraveler
Thank you for your most recent post on your stay with us at Swissôtel Grand Shanghai – it is always a great pleasure to receive such great feedback from our guests.

Our location certainly affords our guests to easy accessibility to the city as well as great options in the immediate area. Whether on business or pleasure, there is a lot of options for all to enjoy.

I am glad that you enjoyed our bedrooms, although should you return in the near future, please note that we offer our guests pillow menus with a variety of options to choose from in case the in-room pillows are not as you wish.

I will pass on the feedback and comments on our towels as most of the large towels have recently been replaced, but if we do still have some of the older towels being used, we will be looking to have them removed from our guest rooms – thank you for this feedback.

Our Spa is enjoyed by most of our guests and we are very happy that you took advantage of the facilities. Regarding the lighting in the Sauna, we will review what is possible. Regarding the swimming pool, this temperature is maintained at 27 degrees and we have a water thermometer in the pool for us to check on a daily basis. With our pool located on the 5th floor of the hotel, the view does indeed look into surrounding buildings, which is unfortunately hard for us to improve.

The breakfast that you enjoyed on the 2nd floor of the hotel is well appointed with many options for all our guests, and the feedback on the breads, olives, salad options and coffee will be passed to our Food and Beverage Director to look into.

Thank you again for your feedback and we do look forward to welcoming you back as our guest on your next adventure to Shanghai.

Kind regards

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Just touched down. My company had arranged for a week's stay here, so that I can find my own accomodation. Location is perfect, next to Airport Bus Station and MTR station. Service was superb. Gym was rather simple, doesn't really live up to 5* standards.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HotelManager-SSH, Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Jonas_Pearson

Thank you for your recent posting on your stay with us at Swissôtel Grand Shanghai, especially highlighting our great location and ease of accessibility especially if you wish to get to us via bus. Subway Station for lines 2 & 7 is right beneath our hotel and makes getting around Shanghai very easy indeed.

Our Gym facilities can seem limited, although we do provide 2 areas for guests to enjoy – a fitness room including 5 running machines, 2 Nordic Ski Machines and 3 cycling machines. The other room offers full range of free weights/bumbells as well as a variety of circuit training equipment and yoga mats for stretching and cooling down. I am sorry, however, that they did not live up to your expectations.

We do hope that should you require further hotel accommodation that you will return to us – it would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I stayed two nights, back from a business trip in central China. I consider this location one of the best in Shanghai. It is right in the centre of the Jing'an shopping, business and residential area; a few steps from the subway station of lines 7 and 2, this latter connecting in about 30 min. to the Hongqiao Airport. Taxis are easy to find and with a short ride one can reach other "hot areas" such as the former French Concession, Xindiangdi/ Huahai Road and the Bund. Nanjing West Road offers a pleasant stroll just out of the hotel main door, with the newly opened Kerry Centre in the front and the older shopping area of Sogo and the Jing'an temple on the back.
Check in at reception was smooth and kind. The staff recognised my Swissotel Circle membership and gave me a room upgrade. The room was simply perfect: nicely decorated, spacious, with a high ceiling, spotlessly clean, with a good view over Nanjing Road. It was provided with all the amenities of a luxury hotel, including a Nespresso coffee machine with capsules. Insulation was very good and the aircon noiseless. Most of all I appreciated the bed: high and of the right hardness for my taste. I had a light dinner on the second floor. I had a salmon sandwich in pita bread and a spinach salad, both very nice. Unfortunately, the Swiss wine was not up to the expectations. I had my morning training one day in the gym and another in the pool. Gym is divided in two rooms: 5 running machines, state of the art equipment, signs against use of mobile phones. The 20 meter pool was just fine, next to it there is a hot bath and jacuzzi area. Morning breakfast buffet was of good quality, with a good selection of pastry and bread. Overall, I really did enjoy my stay at this hotel. Would highly recommend it to the business traveller

Room Tip: Room on high floors facing east have a view over Nanjing Road
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HotelManager-SSH, Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Marco M,
It was a great pleasure to have read your feedback on your most recent stay here at Swissôtel Grand Shanghai – thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review (along with the images you posted).

Location is absolutely king for all travelers to Shanghai, especially in a city with over 3600 hotels and 23 million inhabitants. Our prime location affords all our guests to enjoy a quality hotel with ease of accessibility to the rest of the city, and being located literally on top of the Metro Lines 2 & 7, making it even more accessible than most.

We are also thrilled to read of your experience in our service at Front Desk – our Swissôtel Circle Loyalty Program certainly has its benefits and I am thrilled to read that you were rewarded for your loyalty. From our bedrooms, Cafe Swiss restaurant and Spa, we are delighted that you were exceptionally happy with all of the facilities you encountered. I will of course pass on your comments of the Swiss Wines to our Food and Beverage Director.

All of us here at Swissôtel Grand Shanghai thank you for your excellent review and truly look forward to having you as our guest in the very near future.

Kind regards,

Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I was really looking forward to my six-day visit to this hotel but I have to say that it did not live up to my expectations. Having visited a Shangri-La hotel in Shenzhen and a Hilton in Chongqing, I found this hotel rather disappointing - at least from the point of view of dining.
First, the really good points! It is very close to the Jing'an Temple Metro Station. If you like shopping, then there is plenty of that around.
Regarding the hotel itself, the room was very good. It was clean and regularly serviced. I would especially like to commend (and thank!) staff at the concierge who were very friendly and an enormous help in advising and helping me with daily travel arrangements.
My disappointment was with the main dining area and with the food. There were so few people eating there on one evening that I felt that I was dining in the Marie Celeste. There was no atmosphere at all. I did not feel that the food was particularly good either, certainly not by comparison with hotels already mentioned. Breakfast was poor.
There is a pucker Chinese Restaurant in the hotel where I did enjoy a very good meal though the service was neither efficient nor friendly and there is a Steak Restaurant where the food was excellent but far from cheap.
Next time I visit, I will ask my company to try something different!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HotelManager-SSH, Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear VinRichley

Thank you for your most recent review on our hotel and especially for highlighting such great aspects of our property. Location is always the key for most travelers (business or pleasure) and your highlighting of our location in Jing’ An with the ease of access to the Metro Lines 2&7, location just on Nanjing Road and the plethora of shopping that is on our doorstep, is perfect for others to see our hotels prime spot in the city.

Thank you for also noting that our hotel’s bedrooms are very good and well-maintained, and making a special mention to our excellent Concierge team for making your daily travel arrangements. It is all about the service and we are very pleased this came through in your experience.

I am however very disappointed to read of your experience in our restaurant and your general feeling on our breakfast. In terms of the amount of people in an evening enjoying dinner will depend on many things – notably if there are any large groups in-house or events taking place. It can often be very busy, but due to our excellent location, many of our guests do like to explore the city for all it has to offer (with over 53,000 restaurants in Shanghai) and tend to head out for a meal.

I am also very sorry to read of your feedback on our breakfast, although you didn't explain what it was that you did not enjoy. We have one of the larger breakfast buffets compared to many 5 star international hotels in Shanghai and is often extremely well-enjoyed by our guests.

We would be most grateful if you would please contact me directly on daisy.yin@swissotel.com to give us more detail as to what you didn't enjoy about our breakfast so that we can review this further with the department involved. Through this kind of feedback we are able to improve and better ourselves for our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback and do hope that we will get the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Executive Lounge was good, especially evening food and drink. I used to stay over 60 nights last 12 months thus I became a member of Swiss Circle. The membership award allow me to visit the lounge. It helps a lot for saving money for outside activity.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

Dear N S,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your most recent stay here at our hotel – it is a pleasure to hear from a guest that has enjoyed our hotel and been back over 60 times in the last 12 months. Thank you for highlighting the excellent opportunities you get to enjoy once you become a member of our Swissôtel Circle Loyalty Program. Our Executive Lounge is always enjoyed by our guests booking this bedroom category (or due to their membership level “Eleva” or “Zenit”, are given access to this facility no matter what room type they book), due to its exclusivity, privacy and general peace and quiet that one gets to enjoy in this lounge – not to mention the great Food and Beverage on offer.

We are very appreciative of your support and truly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Swissôtel Grand Shanghai

Been to Swissotel Grand Shanghai? Share your experiences!