“Paradise in need of a little TLC” 4 of 5 stars

Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 9779, Nadi Airport, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yasawa Island
cleveland
“Paradise in need of a little TLC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Let me start by saying this place is very special. It is quite remote and nice and small so the whole experience is very personal. The staff are absolutely amazing and they are a beautifully calm, quiet people who always have a smile on their face. The staff mostly come from the local village and the resort is their only source of income so they have a special interest in making you feel welcome and part of the island. The food is impeccable, Jonah the chef is an absolute dream. We found the menu very limited with only a couple of choices each meal however having said that we rarely ordered from the menu instead we talked to Jonah who was more than happy to make us something beautiful and fresh every time. We didn't have one average meal the whole stay, they were all exceptional. These people have a way with seafood that is almost magical. The alcohol is of course expensive but when you are shipping it to such a remote destination I guess you need to expect that. The wines were good though and we didn't mind paying for it but I would suggest you take along a few bottles of duty free wine if you have room. We have travelled extensively and have also been going to Fiji for 23 years. Yasawa is the closest thing to the real Fiji we have come across. The island itself is magnificent, the waters are blue and pure, the beaches are a fine white sand, the snorkelling is great. The beach picnics which are included in the tariff are amazing and a must do for everyone. The snorkelling trips are also well organised and run safely by the local people.

There are a couple of small issues I think need addressing quite quickly. The maintenance on the bures is in need of some work. Our shutters didn't work, the toilet lid wasn't fixed on, the taps leaked and they were generally tired looking. The air conditioner (one small unit over the bed that blew directly on us) did little to offer any cooling even when set at 16 degrees. The pole type design of the bures make them difficult to cool I'm sure but in that climate and at 5 star prices I think its reasonable to expect adequate air conditioning. The bures all needed a full on thorough clean too, not just a quick wipe over. I'm sure the staff do what they can in the time available but it might be time for a spring clean. Laundry is charged extra (most other 5 star resorts in Fiji offer a free laundry service each day) and while it is only a small thing it would make a big difference if visitors weren't worrying about the small chores they have come to escape. If I were management I would even put the rates up $20 and include the laundry, it's a minor annoyance but easily fixed. I was surprised that many of the staff uniforms were not clean. Especially some of the restaurant staff whose uniforms really were extremely stained and dirty - a bit scary and you hope the hygiene in the kitchen is not reflected by the uniforms.

As I said before, these are all minor issues but if you want to charge 5 star prices then people expect 5 star. I don't expect mainland 5 star as the location is in itself a 7 star but I think some minor maintenance, a damn good clean and a bit more staff training would make a huge difference. The owner was on the island while we were there but made no effort to talk to us or ask our opinions. At the end of the stay we were handed a credit card receipt to sign with a printed out bill in an envelope. The bill was much higher than we expected and the print out was not itemised - just an amount listed per day. We rarely signed for anything we bought but on at least one occasion my husband was given someone elses docket to sign (which he did) until I pointed out it wasn't ours so I wonder how many other times that happened.
I would still recommend Yasawa as an awesome destination and I hope the new owners take the time to bring the resort up to the level it deserves. I would only return if some refurbs were done or the prices dropped.

Room Tip: Choose room 10 - 16
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
YasawaResort, Owner at Yasawa Island Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Bula

Thank you for your recent guest comment. It is wonderful that you had so many nice things to say about our resort and particularly the food, staff and our idyllic location.

We welcome your feedback and would like to address and clarify some of your concerns.

I am not sure if there was some missed communication about my presence on the resort - but I was only on Island for a few days in the month of March due to travel commitments and made it a priority to meet all the guests at the resort during my time there. I am sorry I did not meet you during your stay.

We believe our liquor pricing is very competitive and monitor the pricing to ensure that it is less than most comparable 5-star resorts in other major tourism destinations. We also have the added benefit of not service charge or tipping that further reduces our prices.

We have just this past week issued new uniforms to our maintenance, grounds and refurbishment teams with new uniforms already ordered for food & beverage, housekeeping and front office.

We have also just finalised the installation of new mahogany furniture in all the guest bures and are preparing to update to our bathrooms.

I am dissapointed to learn of the minor issues that you mentioned in the room with regards to taps etc. I reviewed our guest maintenance request forms for March but cannot find any reported items as you have described so can only assume they were not reported at the time. We do take these issues seriously and like to address them immediately when notified, so I have asked our guys to go through the rooms to do a thorough check.

Finally with regards to the final accounts on check out. Like all major hotels we present a bill to clients that have an itemised listing of charges by date, including the department and amount charged. The detailed copies the breakdown of all individual charges that list exactly what has been purchased or consumed are available at any time during clients stay or prior to check out to review.

I hope I have addressed your concerns and we look forward to welcoming you back to Fiji again in the future.

Vinaka,

James McCann - Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I have just returned from an 11 day stay at Yasawa - my third visit in as many years and it just gets better every time. You would be hard pressed to find a more stunning location... untouched, beautiful, peaceful... amazing.

The food as always was wonderful. Talala and Jona do an incredible job combining local ingredients into meals that are fresh, flavourful, interesting and in most cases would rival any fine dining restaurant from home. They are also more than happy to cater to dietary requirements or special requests and always with a big smile.

The lack of internet and television in the rooms allows you to completely decompress, but if you just have to read the news or Skype a friend to make them jealous there is complimentary wifi throughout the main complex, restaurant and bar. It is not as fast as in the "real" world, but completely sufficient for checking email, internet and skyping home.

The snorkelling around the resort would be a definite highlight. Unlike many other resorts, there is no one else around, so the reefs at Yasawa are in great shape and there is so much to see.

I love all of the beaches that can be booked for private picnics. Not many places left in the world where you can have your own beach to yourself for an afternoon. Definitely take lots of sunscreen.

So many previous guests have commented on the staff. I can not say enough about all of the warmth, smiles and genuine hospitality that infuses the entire team here at this special resort. The tipping policy (you don't - but rather make a donation to the Christmas Fund) ensures that the care and service you receive comes from the heart and you certainly feel that everyday. It's hard to explain, but this becomes such a huge part of the experience.

In a nutshell, I love Yasawa. That's why I keep going back... there are lots of other lovely resorts in the world, but nothing as special as this remote gem. Enjoy!

NB: I spoke with two other couples while there who had booked their transfers themselves through a local seaplane company (to save a few dollars) rather than using the resort's charter service. Be warned, both couples were severely disappointed! One couple was told upon arriving into Nadi that the company would no longer be able to transport them and the other couple were left waiting at the resort for a seaplane that flew to the island (did not land) and then turned away and flew back without them! It is totally worth the money to have Yasawa book your flights... the complimentary transfers, VIP lounge, the new modern aircraft, the reliability are all worth every penny!

Room Tip: The deluxe bures at the north end of the beach are the ones to pick!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed at Yasawa Island as part of my honeymoon in Oct 2013 (sorry I am doing this review so late, I did send a thank you email when I got home in Oct thought) and we did not want to leave.
From start to finish our whole experience was wonderful. Arrival onto the island on the grass runway is an experience in itself. The views you get coming into land are breath-taking. We were greeted by local kids from the village as well as the on site manager. A short (and bumpy) 5 minute drive through the island and you are at Yasawa Resort & Spa.
Check in process was simple and quick and as we arrived at about 3pm we were given a snack menu we could order from as we had missed lunch. We were taken to our bungalow (i think we were in #3 which was towards the end, nice and secluded and wonderful views) Room was clean and tidy upon check in and the staff made sure during our stay that it was cleaned each day and our minibar drinks were stocked to our liking. I enjoyed waking up each morning and looking directly out our room to the ocean. It was safe to sleep with the windows open each night (bugs wern't too bad, they give you bug zappers anyway which kept them away) and I was so relaxed at the end of the day dozing off to the sound of the waves. As it was our honeymoon we were also given a bottle of champagne and a hand written card from the resort management (which was a very nice touch)
There are plenty of activities you can do at Yasawa, we spent a lot of time snorkeling off the beach, and chilling in the infinity pool soaking up the sunshine. We also did a beach picnic where you are dropped off at one of the islands beaches with a packed lunch and your left there for around 4 hours - with a walkie-talkie in-case of emergencies. The pack lunch we got was fresh seafood and salad and it was so much fun snorkeling and swimming on our own private beach for the day.
The two things that made our stay was the food & staff - firstly the food. It was some of the best food I have had. A good choice each day on the menu for breakfast lunch and dinner. I love love love seafood and the menu was never short of fresh local catches for you to enjoy. One night I remember having a lobster salad for starter, a tender cut of beef for main, and mango panna cotta for dessert. I still to this day say its one of the best meals I've ever ate.
Secondly the staff were so sweet and made our stay so special. Lita at check in was so accommodating making sure each day we were happy and giving us recommendations on what we can do each day. After our first day there most of the staff knew our names and it was so nice to be greeted by them each morning at breakfast and at the bar having a sundowner at night.
After our time at Yasawa we carried onto Bora Bora for the second part of our honeymoon and even thought Bora Bora was beautiful both myself and my husband said we would of been happy to stay the whole time at Yasawa instead.
Thank you Yasawa Island for a fantastic stay, I truly do hope I am fortunate enough to return to your resort again one day. If not, I will always have fantastic memories of my stay :-)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
YasawaResort, Owner at Yasawa Island Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Bula

Thank you for your great review, i have passed on your wonderful comments to our staff, particularly to the kitchen staff.

We have just started a gradual change to some of our menu items so hopefully when you visit again in the future you will see some great new additions.

We hope we can welcome you back for your anniversary in the future - your private beach awaits!

Vinaka,

James McCann
Owner
palm desert
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

The remoteness of the resort is great, but it does take some effort to get there . Be prepared for the small plane ride (and I mean small) from Nadi. When we got off the plane, one of the owners had Leis for the arriving guests. I was the last one off, and she ran out of leis. Kind of tacky I thought. You know how many guests are coming don't you? Our first and ongoing impression of the Resort is that it has some deferred maintenance issues. For example, part of the Spa is boarded up, the landscaping is overgrown which is blocking some of the views from the Bures and we had a couple of leaks in our Bure. There is no TV in the Bures and Wi Fi is only in the lobby. There is a shared computer in the library. The staff is great; always asking if you need something and they learn your names right away. Things move slow on the Island, so you have to be patient, but eventually you get what you need. The food was good, not great, and the staff does well with what they have to work with. Food presentation is very good, flavors are very good, but the beef and chicken dishes were always over cooked. Desserts are very good, so try them even if you are not a dessert fan. The lunch and dinner menu only has 3 entrees, one of which is always vegetarian. Reef fish shows up on the dinner menu almost every night (and sometimes lunch), but we did have lobster when they had their buffet night. Alcohol is very expensive and if you like Sprits, I suggest bringing a bottle with you. We wanted to buy a bottle of Vodka during our stay. They have no published price list for bottled sprits. We were first quoted $120.00 FJD +20%. We called to order a bottle and the price jumped to $200.00 +20% FJD. We decided to wait and then later in the stay, they told us it was $280.00 +20% FJD and this was Fijian Vodka. Imported was a lot more. The Bures are very large and very nice. The best ones are 10 through 16. They are more private, located closer to the sand, have the best views and are stand alones. We stayed in #16, which in our opinion is the best in the Resort. # 15 is very nice also. The beach is nice and the surf sound can be heard throughout your Bure. We are from the West coast of the US and this is a long haul for us. We have had friends tell us that Fiji is the best. But after visiting, we believe the waters around Tahiti are the clearest and the most beautiful (blue/green) anywhere. The lushness and the mountain peaks of Hawaii, in our opinion, can not be beat. We will always remember the innocence of Fiji and the friendliness of it's people. Be prepared after 1/1/14 to pay a 3.5% charge for using a credit card. The Resort says they are required to charge it, other sources say the Government just lifted the ban and it is up to the Resort. When considering everything and other Resort options in Fiji, we would definitely recommend the Yasawa Resort.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bula

Thank you for your trip advisor review and we are so glad you had a great time with us and recommend us as a great place to stay.

We appreciate your constructive comments and I wanted to address a few of them for you.

Upon your arrival we had an extra guest arrival that was not expected so unfortunately that is why we were one Salusalu short. My apologies for that mistake – it is an extremely rare occurance for us to have an extra person arrive without us knowing.

During your stay we had 2 cyclone warnings and hence why we had put the storm shutters up on the Spa facility, I think this is the deferred maintenance you may be referring to. We did keep the facility open so guests could enjoy the wonderful beachfront treatments even though the impending storm meant we had to prepare for the worst. Luckily the storm passed by Fiji and we did not get the expected cyclone.

I note that you had room service for virtually every meal during your stay with us, which unfortunately limits our ability to showcase the truly wonderful cuisine that the resort is well known for. The ambience and atmosphere of our al fresco restaurant or dining around the pool or under the stars on the sand is really a special treat that our guests really enjoy.

We believe our liquor price are extremely reasonable. Even though our cost to provide liquor is much higher due to our location, our pricing is always lower than what you would find in comparable international establishments. There is also no service charge in Fiji that is added onto any accounts. I do remember there was an issue with pricing on a bottle of liquor for you. Unfortunately there was a mistake and for that I do appologise. We simply never get guests requiring a full bottle of spirits and therefore we don’t have any pricing to reflect that.

Finally yes there is a service charge for credit card use in Fiji – it is now becoming a common practice and is prevalent in many countries.

Thank you for your feedback and we do appreciate the time you took to make your trip advisor comments.

Vinaka

James McCann
Owner
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Bula to all the wonderful staff ... we sure enjoyed our stay at the Yasawa Resort. The staff were very friendly and helpful ... our anniversary celebration was made very special by everyone concerned ... we will never forget our wonderful experience - thankyou!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Highland Village, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Bula!

My wife and I just got back from 9 nights at Yasawa Island Resort and Spa celebrating my 60th birthday, and I will say without reservation that staying at this resort was a 5-star experience and we look forward to someday returning. Indeed, had I not already booked the airfare for our summer cruise in the Baltic, I would be planning our return for June right now.

I recommend Yasawa to anyone who is looking for the ultimate in romantic getaways, to those looking to experience the wonderful Fijian culture, and to anyone who just wants to unplug and enjoy the beauty of what we decided was Paradise. Everything about our time there … from the single engine plane that lands on a grass airstrip to the special goodbye that the staff gives you when you leave … made for a memorable vacation.

I would not recommend the resort for those looking for a Four Seasons-like luxury experience. Yes there are bugs and the air conditioning is not what we in the U.S. expect in a luxury resort, but it part of the experience. And so it helps to have a relaxed attitude about everything and to just go with the flow. I even named the resident gecko “Herbie” … I figured he’d been there longer than us, so no reason to bother him. Oh, and they do provide bug spray, so you don’t need to bring any.

What makes Yasawa so special? For us, it was the combination of the beautiful beaches, the warm water, and the lovely weather. Throw in the great accommodations, excellent food, and the sweet spirit of all the staff, and you have the makings of a first-class experience. I particularly enjoyed the outdoor shower … something about feeling like you need sunscreen while taking a shower that separates it from an ordinary shower. And then there were the late-night walks on the beach, where it was just us, the stars, and the many crabs scurrying away from our flashlight … very special!

A special word about the private beach picnics … if you have any romantic blood in you, you will want to do this and do it as many times as your schedule allows. We went on four private beach picnics and each was a memorable experience. We did Champagne Beach first (beautiful and long), Paradise 2 (excellent snorkeling right off the beach), Yawini Island (something about having your own private island that made it special), and Paradise 1 (great day, even when we had to huddle under the umbrella while it rained). For the picnic, we chose lobster and the cheese sandwiches along with a nice bottle of chardonnay and a Fiji Bitter just for good measure. Oh … and don’t forget the bottles of water … it does get hot! I honestly can’t imagine going to Yasawa without going on a private beach picnic!

We stayed in Bure #9, which is right next to the main building. At first, I was a little disappointed that it wasn’t more remote, but we quickly decided that convenience won out. It certainly did not feel any less private … and the beach right in front of us was absolutely wonderful. We spent a lot of time just playing in the surf like we were kids … it just doesn’t get any better than that!

If you are a spa person, you will enjoy the Yasawa spa. Aggie and her assistant give the most wonderful 4-handed massage where the strokes are timed to the crashing waves just feet away. And the sunset couples massage made for a great way to wrap up our stay. My wife, who normally does not like massages, actually had two … I guess that says something!

Guests were from around the world … Australia, New Zealand, the U.K., Russia, Brazil, Ukraine, and the U.S. We made friends with two different families and one couple from Australia, and thoroughly enjoyed visiting with them during the pre-dinner cocktail hour.

A special shout-out to Manasa, Sami, Samy, Lei, Nick, Sam, Aggie, and all the other staff-members who made us feel special. Everyone treated us like part of the Yasawa family, which made leaving difficult!

So … bottom line … Yasawa Island Resort and Spa is a wonderful place for anyone looking for a unique experience and is open to a different definition of a luxury resort. And if you are looking to celebrate romance with your spouse or significant other, then you be hard-pressed to find a better place in the world!

Room Tip: Go with the deluxe bure. We stayed in 9 and liked the convenience, but 16 would have been close to...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cuiaba, MT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Bula Navutu staff! I already miss you guys!
I just spend some days in this Paradise! I traveled with 6 other friends and I can say, Navutu Hotel is wonderful. We were welcome with a song, unforgettable!! The locations is amazing. The staff are very friendly and know you by your first name.
All the time, everyone from management to the severs had a smille one their faces. Well, the service you receive is amazing. In my opinion, Fijians are the most beautiful people on Earth!
The rooms are clean and comfortable and you have diferentes activies avaiable daily. So Navutu is perfect for couples and group of friends, like us. Navutu provide the tranquility and beauty of everything a Paradise had to offer.
I was in love with the island and the hotel. For a few days I leave the city stress behind to live in "fijitime!
I´m sure that I had the most amazing time in my life in this island. Thank you Navutu! You are great! And I will be back soon! :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Yasawa Island Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!