“A Fairytale of a Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 9779, Nadi Airport, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yasawa Island
Sydney, Australia
“A Fairytale of a Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

If you had the chance to read my previous reviews of my last 2 holidays in Fiji you will know and understand that i am not a big fan of Fiji and was so ready to say my last Bula!

However i have had the privilege to continue my Fijian trip from my 6nights stay at Lomani Resort (please check out my separate review on this resort) to a further 5nights stay at Yasawa Resort for my bestfriend's 11nights wedding Fiji trip this May-June 2013.

And all i can say is wow, amazing, wow, *jawdropping* perfection, paradise and all the words alike! and i can assure you that i am not the only one uttering these words from the wedding party.

By way of background, my bestfriend got engaged here and a year later planned their wedding at the same island so they can show all their family and friends how beautiful this paradise is... and i finally understood why they chose to get engaged there... this place is MAGIC!!! its perfection... its a fairytale!

Everything about it - the location, the surroundings, the coastlines, the mountains, BLUE LAGOON, the reef, the village, the locals and most especially the staff - screams AMAZING!!!

This is a place where you can't pinpoint what is great but you will know deep inside that this place as a whole will remain carved in your hearts forever. i am feeling homesick as i write this review and when i write home, i mean Yasawa!

It happens only once in a while that fate brings you to see places and meet new faces that will mean so much to you and that is how i felt and still feel about this resort. i can only wish that i get to come back to this island resort sooner than later.

I have made friends with some of the staff who truly are beautiful inside and out. I have had the most enjoyable time at Yasawa and i cannot speak highly enough of their staff and management.

My bestfriend's wedding turned out to be more amazing that we planned and just like Yasawa, its a fairytale and more.

My sincerest love and gratitude to Yasawa Resort and Spa (management, staff and the locals), you have made me love Fiji to the max. This is just the beginning of a new meaning to Bula Vinaka and this time i say it with pride and joy!!!!

Room Tip: I stayed at Deluxe Bure 16 and its perfect and close to the Spa where you will meet the nicest staff
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
YasawaResort, Owner at Yasawa Island Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Bula Ron,

Thank you for your tremendous feedback.

I think your description of the staff and atmosphere at the resort is what we try to convey to our guests. It is always great to get some positive feedback - we have a really fantastic group of people and I will pass on your comments to them.

I hope we can welcome you back to the resort and your Yasawa family again soon.

Vinaka,

James McCann - Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

It's all been said before. This is a piece of paradise on earth, and I am so very glad to experience it. I was with Claire B (previous review) and I went with admittedly high expectations. I am so happy to report that all my expectations were exceeded. The beauty of the island, the laid-back nature of the resort, the welcoming and friendly staff. It's like no other holiday I have ever experienced.
I was also impressed with the way the resort exists in harmony with the island. It's been there 20 years, and there's no pollution, no spoiling of the enviroment. The resort does not even impact the local island water system as all the resort water is provided by a desalination plant. It's an example to the rest of the world in how to run a resort and not spoil the enviroment.
The villas (bures) are very comfortable. The food is superb, I loved the local caught reef fish.
Stated simply, it's the holiday of a lifetime!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Myself and a friend recently stayed in the Lomalagi suit at Yasawa for 10 nights. It was absolutely stunning! As I am a model and my friend is a hobbiest photographer we took lots of incredible pictures from our time there. It was a long way for us to travel from England but worth the long journey. The people were absolutely lovely and made us feel completely at home there. A very special mention goes out to my new friend Aggy who works at the spa :)) I miss your chats and massages!! Hope to return to Yasawa next year! Management of Yasawa resort and spa only, please feel free to use our pictures for brochures/advertisment.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Yasawa Island Resort..what can i say..This is our second trip to this beautiful piece of paradise..sadly i forgot to review it in 2011..but it is somewhere to go to chill out and relax..when hubby is on holidays thats all he wants to do and this is the place to do it..beautiful beaches,awesome food and the best bit.. the people..I want to clone them all and bring them back to Melb..Wati Manasa,Sami,Samy,Bill, Anna, Joe,Jona,Kau,Tony,Lucy Losarna Bridget and Aaron and to everyone i have forgot ...thankyou for making our holiday as wonderful as always..

Room Tip: Deluxe beach front Bures
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

5 nights at Yasawa. It needed to be 7.

The 5 star reviews below share a lot of my sentiments, so I will try to highlight a few different points on my memorable impressions, the food and the grounds.

Impressions:
First, the beautiful beach in front of your made often felt completely secluded - there were only one to two tracks in the sand by the end of the night. We would have spent more time laying right there, but the hammock and beach hut that comes with each bure was just too comfortable - great lounge chairs and break from the sun.

This was the softest sand I have ever felt. I have seen a finer white sand in N. Tasmania that squeaked as you walk on it, squishy golden gingerbread sand in islands off Lamu, generic gritty grand cayman groomed beaches, but Yasawa was the softest, most inviting beach to walk along that I can remember. There are great swim spots by the spa and excellent snorkelling directly in front of the activities centre.

The daily trips and activities ranged from good to amazing; the beach we were taken to for our beach picnic beach was a bit of funny choice b/c of recent rains/storms that made for somewhat cloudy water / seaweed. Make sure to ask for 'champagne' beach or 'paradise' 1 2 or 3. The picnic itself is an amazing idea, and executed very well.

The service is friendly, Fijian, AND professional. Reviews below focus on exceptional individuals / family feel etc., so I will add to this only by saying as well as great people, the staff is trained to know what they are doing! All the right cutlery etc. is whisked away or added to you table when it should be, the managers are attentive but not intrusive, and any requests that were made were answered above and beyond. Ritz-Carlton service, with a flavour of Fijian hospitality (and sometimes Fijian tempo!).

Food.
Many beautiful beaches in Fiji, so we chose YIR in the hopes of great food and service. For context, I think we might have become rather snobby foodies of late (couple years in Melbourne). If you live anywhere in N. America (where I call home) think of the food at Yasawa as "excellent". If however, you can place "simple dish of potato cooked in the earth it was grown", and that kind of gastronomy excites you, you'll still find the menus of Yasawa 'very good'. Portions are just right, and allow you to fill up through all courses. Except the Seafood feast - bring a wheelbarrow.

I found dinner menus to be the best (will upload a shot): 'reef fish' based dishes were always cooked to perfection, the lamb I had was great, chicken flavours were interesting enough if not overly original - tasted like chicken! Naturally flavourful homemade soup & imaginative salad courses that relied on some island based produce were great. Only miss was slightly over-salted lobster/prawn risotto, and a slightly undercooked lobster tail. We didn’t encounter generic 'pizza' etc. on any menu as was mentioned in another review, but there was a accesible mix of simple and more exotic. Always fresh baked bread was a nice touch.

The Weekly Lovo feast was incredible; great assortment of dishes, great introduction to Fijian cuisine that ranged from basic to very complex cooking, flavouring and integration of local ingredients.

Lunch menu had less variety per day, but still excellent 2-3 choices (brie, ham and pineapple sandwich, or veggie taco in homemade taco shell, another day had fish nachos, basil/beef salad). There was a all day generic sandwiches, spring-rolls, samosas etc. menu as well.
Breakfast has 'continental' buffet, special of the day, and a full menu of poached eggs/full brekkies/pancakes etc.

Deserts didn't disappoint. Great presentation on all dishes. Very good wine on selection, and the selection itself was expansive ($50-900 FJD I think)

Grounds & Bure.
I would say overall, the resort feels a tiny bit more on the 'natural' side than 'luxury', but just barely. The bures are spotless, beautiful, and very well appointed. outside shower etc. are fun. The grounds are very well kept (specially considering the recent cyclone!), but still retain a natural feel, especially out front of the bure. This might be a quibble for some - no manicured hedges, but artfully planted local flora and trimmed native grass underfoot. Your beach hut is the crest of beach from the grass and has some volcanic pebbles mixed in before dropping to the natural, but surprisingly clean, beach.

Privacy between bures was great. We were in a full (vs. duplex one), and it felt like we had acres of room, and could never really see anyone unless our next-door neighbours were right at their beach hut, and even then seemed very far away.

It rained some the first couple days we were there (and had been previously), but mosquitos weren't' too bad and bug spray is always around. Saw one little gecko in the bure; glad he was eating any crawlers for us. The bure has open slat sides with meticulous screening - no mosquito nets etc. required. Lovely ocean sounds to sleep to, with perfect breeze floating in.

The value for money is great if you consider the remote location, the exclusive setup of the resort and the high quality service, meals and huge bures. It’s priced to be competitive with Australian resorts. This includes drinks: expect $16-20 AUD cocktails, but $2-3 Fijian beer.

The history of the resort is a great story, and the people involved seem really genuine and see value in keeping the village(s) of the island as their partners. On some levels having the village cart in for 'traditional dances/ceremonies' and choir singing 'what a friend we have in jesus' in their native tongue etc. seemed a bit problematic as you sip your cocktail and eat warmed nuts before fillet mignon. However its also beautiful and heartfelt. And, you see these same faces working in the resort the next day with pride and ready for a friendly chat. The reality seems to be a relationship that works for all parties, and certainly differs from the some of the tensions that become apparent in other spots around Fiji/Pacific.

counting pennies and the days until we can go back.

Room Tip: really didn't seem to matter but left side has better beach
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bowral, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have just gotten back from the most wonderful holiday at Yasawa Island Resort. We took our 3 1/2 year old daughter as it was kids week and I can truly say the holiday was like a second honeymoon. I organised a babysitter for the afternoons and evenings and my daughter bonded so closely with her babysitter I was totally relaxed, as the Fijians are truely loving people. The resort was simply stunning, the food is to die for, be prepared to put on some weight! The Blue Lagoon Cave excursion is certainly worth a trip and a private picnic at Champhange beach should not be missed. The staff are amazing and incredibly attentive, nothing is too much to ask for. Bridget and Aaron were terrific hosts. Hoping to go back again one day.

Room Tip: If you are going with a young family Bure 8 is close to the main area eg pool and dining, so not far...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We travelled to Yasawa Island Resort as a family of 5 (3 teenagers) and were all blown away by the beauty, tranquilly and intimacy of this high quality resort.

This resort has sandy beaches with an abundance of coral off the beach. The restaurant and pool area are first class and nothing was too big an ask, with our 15 year old son often asking for an additional serving at mealtimes, which was always met with a smile. Most of the staff hail from the neighbouring village and are some of the most friendly, attentive and professional staff we have encountered in over five trips to Fiji.

The activities staff were friendly and always willing to help, taking us fishing, snorkelling and scuba diving - one even going down 6 metres to retrieve my husband's fishing rod which he dropped when fishing on a kayak. We love snorkelling and the boys made every effort to take us to the best spots. Wonderland was my favourite. Whilst there were no motorised sports to intrude on the tranquility, the kids learnt to paddle board, and took the boards out most days.

We had two picnics, one to Yawini Island and the other to a beach known as Paradise 2. While Paradise 1 looked magical with warm turquoise water and white sandy beach, for us beach-loving Aussies, Paradise 2 had the amazing coral garden. The picnic lunch was plentiful and this is a special way to spend intimate family time in a secluded environment.

The food was the best we have experienced in Fiji. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were always sensational. The highlight was the chef's beautiful Fijian fish and prawn coconut milk dish he prepared after we had landed a 60cm Trevally while sport fishing with Li and Rusi in the morning.

My elder daughter and I had a relaxing massage on the Spa porch listening to the gentle waves lap over the rocks on the beach in front of the spa. Simply mesmerising.

My son and husband did six dives with Bridget and were blown away by the soft corals and the variety of fish at great dive spots like Paradise, Riders on the Storm and The Caves.

Our one regret was to spend a night on the mainland after 7 nights on Yasawa - it simply can't compare. We definitely recommend getting the connecting flight home after experiencing paradise.

Venandu reki to Wonga, Li, Rusi, Samy & Sami, Joe, Kiri, Manasa, Bridget & Aaron, and everyone else who made our holiday so special. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: For families of 4 or more, choose the double bure, which is situated at the south end of the resort...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Yasawa Island Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!