We chose Tsulu due to the existence of the two bedroom apartments - fairly rare in Fiji but necessary for families of five unless you have the big bucks for two separate hotel rooms. We had also read good reviews prior to it reopening, obviously written by people who had not yet stayed there. The room rate for the five of us was well over $200.00 per night, including breakfast. (We had just come from Naigani Island Resort where we paid $150.00 per night including breakfast for a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment, so were expecting similar.)
The 'apartment' was quite a shock! As the property had been closed for a while and had just reopened we had expected that some type of renovation had been performed. This is definitely not the case. The bathroom was horrendous - a visual assault of mismatched 1960's tiling and fixtures complete with 40+ years of mould. Similarly, the mismatched 1960's/1970's furniture looked like it had been picked up at a garage sale for a couple of bucks. The kitchen was more presentable, but overall it was a fairly depressing spectacle. The bedrooms were tiny, particularly when the rollaway was put in the second bedroom leaving no floorspace at all, with windows facing straight out onto the Queens Road for guaranteed all night noise. On the plus side the kids loved the pool which was obviously new, complete with kitsch cannibal pot for a spa, slide and cannibal face facade.
The evening meal was accompanied by a DJ playing loud music and many ex pats and locals, who were enjoying (too many) refreshments at the bar. This was definitely not a family -friendly atmosphere. Next morning we were looking forward to our included breakfast, but got downstairs in time to see the birds finishing off the plate of paw paw that was baking out in the blazing sun - apart from that we each got an individual packet of cereal and milk from a jug that was also sitting out in the sun. The apartment was upstairs, there is no lift, nor any assistance to haul heavy luggage up and down the stairs.
Having read reviews by the backpacking set I'm sure this place is above average and good value for money for that traveller type. If you are a family on holiday avoid it like the plague. It is not family oriented accommodation and the two bedroom apartments are very poor value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vibrant, daring & innovative: Tsulu at Arts Village, Fiji. Sophisticated, vibrant and very convenient, this is a great place for all fun loving travelers to drop in and bed down for a few nights. Encompassing the Fijian idea of island style, with vibrant colors, clean, cool and comfortable rooms, a crazy Tiki Pool, and loads of things to do, the stage is set for Fiji's most luxurious Backpackers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda and HostelBookers so you can book your Tsulu Beach Bunkhouse and Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tsulu Beach Bunkhouse And Apartments Hotel Pacific Harbour
- Tsulu Beach Bunkhouse And Apartments Fiji, South Pacific - Pacific Harbour