“Shark diving...what a rush!!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Melbourne, Australia
74 attraction reviews
“Shark diving...what a rush!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is definitely the most amazing dive i have completed that gets you close to sharks. As most divers will know, you will generally see a small shark when you go diving which is some way off in the distance. This dive you have got so many species to look at and they are all within what is probably 10 meters of you. Do be careful of inexperienced and somewhat excited divers as well all rushing to the get prime spots, a lot of banging and crashing goes on down there between divers, and also annoying buggers that continually take photos with flash... i prefer to dive and just watch in peace.

The dive briefing is excellent and dive sites are well thought out. Divemasters are diligent under water and prioritise your safety. I will always remember not only watching the sharks, but also taking piece of mind looking back and above us to see our divemaster security guards keeping an ever watchful eye out for us...fortunately their security services were not required, not to my knowledge at least.

On the second dive i was somewhat surprised to see the tank i was diving on had quite low air when completing my first checks under water. This is my fault for not checking the air pressure once the crew said they had replaced the air tanks for the second dive... mine may have been forgotten? I will never know, however i did make sure that i swam close a divemaster just in case :)

This is no ordinary dive, it is very much like sit and watch the sharks. I got cold from the depths and also lack of movement. The day i went in October was also cold so this did not help, including the thin wetsuit on offer.

There is also another Shark dive company based in Pacific harbour that offers different dive locations and looks equally as good.

Don't forget, with this dive you are not only learning about sharks, but also investing into the marine park that harbours so much life as the local village has agreed to not fish in that designated area.

Don't be scared, just do it, when you you get the chance to do something as amazing as this again?

• Polish first
White Marsh, Maryland
15 attraction reviews
“100% Pros with Fijian hospitality.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I dove with these guys for the shark dive today and they were pretty top notch. They took care of all my gear, switched tanks for me, and helped me suit up. I felt pretty spoiled. I almost went with Aquatrek to save a few bucks but I'm really glad I didn't because these guys run a really tight ship. We had about 6 people and 4 dive masters which was pretty awesome. They thoroughly go over the dive plan and guide you throughout the whole time and keep a really close eye on everyone from the front, back, top, and bottom. My equipment was in good shape, they provided towels, have warm showers, and keep all the gear organized in buckets for everyone on board.

I'm glad I went with them because I was pretty nervous and my adrenalin was surely pumping. I'm not an expert by any means but, I'm an advanced PADI diver with 50 dives under my belt and as soon as I hit the water I forgot the whole plan because I was so anxious. You really have to go with the ones who are about safety first and that's these guys.

Creede, Colorado
56 attraction reviews
“Is BAD the right dive shop for You??”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I was scheduled to be in Pacific Harbor for four days and I wanted to dive with the sharks for two of those days. There are two dive shops in town and I did a bit of review for both of them. I still couldn’t decide so I emailed both and decided to dive with the first shop that responded. After they responded I learned that both shops only dive with the sharks on certain days of the week so I ended up diving with both shops. I will provide my thoughts on the differences and what I liked and didn’t like about the dives.

PRE DIVE
The largest difference by FAR in my opinion between both dive shops is style. Beqa Adventure Divers (BAD) is a dive shop run that runs like swiss clockwork but is choreographed so you feel like you are a bit player in stage show. No personal gear on the boat, everything has to be placed in a plastic pail (like at the airport security line), you must change before getting on the boat. No lockers to secure your valuables except cubbie holes in the one outdoor changing room. If you want them to lock up your money you must count it all out and make a receipt. I wasn’t sure if I was going diving or entering a jail.

Once on the boat you sit in your assigned seat at attention (ok maybe not at attention) while the staff lectures you what will happen and what your part is in the play. No deviation from the plan or you are out! The Divemaster’s were like Seinfeld soup Nazis.

Aquatrek on the other hand is more like a normal dive shop. Valuables are left in your bag and stored with the reception. You are free to take your own gear on the boat and sit where you want. Everyone acts like they are having a good time diving with friends. Relaxed atmosphere where you get the same information as at BAD but it doesn’t feel like a lecture.

The ride to the site is much easier with Aqua Trek because they have the better shop location. The boats are virtually the same.

SHARK ENCOUNTER
The dive shops have their own shark sanctuaries in two different locations.
With BAD there was only one boat so the number of divers was small. The location was great and the setup was excellent for seeing the sharks. The problem again was the absolute control and choreographing of every movement. Get in line, jump when told, line up and decend when told, line up on the reef and shoot what comes by. If the person next to you gets in your shot too bad. Ascend as a group, up on the boat as a group. BAD makes a point of saying it is friendly to smokers and once on the boat they let everyone light up which I found distasteful. Overall great dive and as a professional photographer I got some good shots of bull sharks, reef sharks, black tips and white tips.

With Aqua Trek they immediately noticed my camera and said they would help me get some great shots. They had me drop into the water first. One of the guides made sure that everyone with serious cameras were located in front of the rest of the divers. There were more boats and divers with at the dive site but when it came to pictures they came out like I was all alone. During the dive the DM’s came and moved me around to be closer to the action and to get the truly GREAT shots and video. They kept me and another photographer down on the site after the others had ascended to again get the one of a kind shots.

All of the shots and video that I posted on my photography site after diving were from the Aqua Trek dives because the angles, light and setting was soooo much better.

SNACK/TOWELS
The cookies and drinks on the two boats were virtually the same. BAD provides towels on the boat since you can’t bring your own.

CONCLUSION
If you are a relatively new diver, you are worried about diving with sharks or want someone to take care of you BAD is definitely the shop for you. If you want an once in a lifetime experience or some truly one of a kind photos you should choose Aqua Trek.

I have reviewed many dive shops on Tripadvisor and in the end you can't go wrong with either shop but when I go again it will be Aqua Trek all the way.

Portland, Oregon
16 attraction reviews
“GREAT DIVING & WONDERFUL CARING DIVE MASTER!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We just got back to the States from our honeymoon and while staying in Pacific Harbor we did twelve (12) dives with them. Our dive master Jone (pronounced "Johnny") and the other dive instructors were very friendly, relaxed, knowledgeable and professional in taking care of my wife who was a novice diver. The staff at the office was very friendly, and we had no issues with timeliness or safety. I have been diving over fifteen (15) years from the Caribbean to Fiji and was especially impressed with their orderliness and safety on the shark dives. COULD NOT RECOMMEND MORE HIGHLY!!! Andrew (manager), Jone and the staff were very good in the water and at the dive shop. We hope to make it back to Fiji soon, so that we can dive with them and hopefully Jone again!!!

Brisbane, Australia
“Yes, Yes, YES. - Brilliant Dives”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Just had to book this Dive. I've dived with sharks before but not Bull Sharks.

Very well organised and the equipment was well maintained. We had very good briefings before each dive and like a previous reviewer said there was no 'buddy system' in place. There were from memory about 5 staff diving with each group of about 10 paying divers and they had about 2 staff feeding the sharks whilst the others were hovering above us with metal sticks to keep any 'interested' sharks from getting too close. I felt very at ease with this dive and would thoroughly recommend it.
The boats were perfect for diving from and very well maintained.

There was tea and biscuits on board.

I was told by my booking agent that there were plenty of hotels near by where I could get a breakfast beforehand as I was driving from about 2 hours away and didn't get chance to eat. I thought I would use the resort this dive centre was attached to but there were no guests and a handful of staff. Very strange. No breakfast.

I would have gladly paid extra to have a small bite to eat at the dive centre before hand. I don't like diving on an empty stomach.