“Very nice, but some words of advice” 3 of 5 stars

Announcement
EXCLUSIVE DIVE OFFERS
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Qamea Island
united states
“Very nice, but some words of advice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

We went to Qamea for 7 nights for our honeymoon, and overall we had a good time but in the end, felt that we could have found a location that would have better fit our preferences and personality. I wanted to write a very honest, detailed review from our perspective so that all future visitors can get some input to make the right decision.

To start off, all of the positive reviews are totally true - the following things were excellent:

1) the food - everything was beautifully presented and so fresh, we felt like we were eating at an expensive restaurant for lunch and dinner.

2) the people - i really can't say enough about how kind, thoughtful, and nice the staff at qamea are (as well as fijian people in general!). the staff always remembers your names, and are so warm and welcoming that it makes the stay so much more personable

3) the bouma waterfall trip - it's everything that others said it would be. the waterfalls were amazing, and it was an experience we will always remember. it was a short trip to the first waterfall, which was amazing, and then we went 40 minutes on a hike up the mountains to the second. we were so sweaty and tired, but seeing the waterfall made it all worth it. we got to swim, watch our guide percy climb up the rocks and jump off, and cheer on the brave people who did the jump off the cliff.

4) spa treatments - the ladies at the spa gave us the most thorough, excellent treatments we have ever gotten (the massages can be a bit firm though so make sure and let them know if you prefer lighter pressure!). we never felt rushed and really felt pampered afterwards

now, here are some items that to us, didn't warrant this as our dream honeymoon - with the caveat that most of these aren't really negatives and could be positives for some people:

1) we are definitely of the camp that prefers pristine white sand beaches and clear blue water. the beach at qamea is beautiful, yes, and very close to the bures (for the most part) but most of the beach is very rocky and the sand right off the beach is mostly coral. this may be a bonus for some people, but for us it left little room for us to just lay and sunbathe or wade very far into the water without stepping on coral. the best area of the beach (where the sand is fine, white, and rock-free) is right where the boats come in, so we would often try to sit in the adirondack chairs there and get some sun, but we could not lay out there. another thing was that there were limited areas on the resort to lay out - one of them being the pool deck, but the deck only had room enough for two chairs out where the sun could hit. so there would usually be one couple per afternoon that would claim these chairs, and we would go find another location. since the beach is narrow and rocky, we ended up dragging our beach chairs to the beach in front of our bure during low tide to get some sun. otherwise, we laid in our chairs in the grass in front of our bure. this is all fine, but we didn't really have a nice stretch of white clean sand to go to each day to sun. this was a key thing for us - and something that i felt i didn't get a clear picture of reading the reviews so wanted to mention.

2) the bures are very nice, but not what you would expect of a luxury/4-5 star resort. the decor is island style, and there were several areas that seemed a little worn like the screens on the windows (bent and had holes), the white cloth panels around the bed (little holes), and our window had glass panels, one of which would keep falling off. the inside of the bure was pretty dark with just a few small lights around the bed for reading (which is great for a romantic atmosphere but makes it hard to see things if you need a brighter light). the beds were very comfortable, however, and we liked the outdoor showers.

3) fiji time - i loved the fijian people in general, but one thing we had to get used to was fiji time. fijian people are very warm, friendly, and laid back, which means that sometimes you won't get as snappy and detail-oriented response as you might be used to in other countries. one example would be for the meals. in america, waitstaff come and check on you often, and courses are brought out in a timely fashion. in fiji, you often spend at least 1.5-2 hours for each meal, because it takes 20-30 minutes to bring out each consecutive course. also, between the courses, if we wanted anything, we would have to go to the kitchen to find someone, as they didn't come and check in on us in between. again, this is probably just a different culture, but something for us to get used to. one couple we talked to said that they would request meals in their bure since all the courses would be brought at once and they could finish the meals quicker. one other thing was that for the meals, portion sizes are a little more delicate than we are used to (being from america) so often my husband would request an extra serving or larger serving. however, this would often result in at least another 20 minutes tacked onto the total waiting time, so we tried not to ask when possible.

4) service - in general, the service was fantastic. requests were welcomed, and the staff always seemed happy to help in any way. however, there were times when some slip-ups happened, that we wouldn't have expected at a luxury resort. one example was that we had requested dinner to be served in our bure since we had a late spa appointment that ended at 8:15pm. after our spa appointment, we waited in our bure and dinner never came. so around 9pm, finally we went to the main dining hut where we found out the request was never passed on, and dinner hour was almost over. i will note that they were very apologetic and served us dinner immediately, which partially made up for the mistake. another time, the nightly turndown staff left only one beach towel for the two of us. it happened again the next night, which we were confused about because if there are two people per bure, then why would one towel be enough. another time, we had left some dirty robes from the spa and towels on our floor to be taken away. but when we came back, they were still on our floor, but moved to the corner. we assumed that they thought we didn't want these items taken away, but if they were on the floor, that should have been fairly obvious. another time, we waited probably 40 minutes for our dessert. nobody came to check on us and we had to go find the waitstaff to let them know. turns out that they thought we'd already gotten our dessert and were just sitting there to talk. these are all small things, but again, not something you'd expect if you stayed at the ritz or other 5-star places.

5) bugs - we're city folk, and some bugs are ok, but we got bitten many times and spent the entire trip slathering on bug repellent lotion. in our bure, we spent some time before bed to draw the curtains and kill any mosquitoes that were in the sleeping area. but by the next day, the cleaning staff would come in and leave the door open while cleaning, and we'd come back from dinner to find many more new bugs in our room. one night, we killed 5 mosquitoes alone, inside the curtains of our bed. the bugs are something that can't be helped, being next to the jungle and all, but we would have liked for the staff to be more careful about closing the doors and not letting in new bugs.

6) camp-like atmosphere - this is probably a positive for many people. qamea is a very friendly atmosphere where people are encouraged to mingle and make friends and have drinks and go on little excursions together. and that's wonderful - we're not against that at all. but we were on our honeymoon to have some quiet, relaxing time alone, and we felt a little strange not participating in the social activies. at other resorts, this woudln't have been a problem since most people keep to themselves. again, not a bad thing, but just something to note if you'd prefer to be on your own. this is something i wish i could have read in a review, so i hope this helps someone else.

again, i don't want to make this sound like a negative review, because it isn't at all. we had a good time, but just wish that we'd known about some of these things since there probably could have been another destination that would have been a better fit for us. i can totally understand why so many people have such warm feelings about qamea, and this review is not to go against those opinions but rather to provide another point of view.

Stayed August 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

We went on a multi island Fiji honeymoon and I must say that Qamea was absoultely the icing on the cake. It was a true luxury hideaway on a unspoiled island. It was better than we expected it to be and the staff, the bures, the food, the spa , were 5 star. Before coming to Qamea we had spent some time in the mamunco islands and then Maravu resort in taveuni (both really great and fun, but not the same level as Qamea Resort which we already knew and expected - I must mention our travel agency Unforgettablehoneymoons. they did a terrific job putting together this whole package, and the free registry was helpful in paying for some of the trip which is why we chose them initally )
Qamea had a very long nice beach that was stunning from the water when we pulled up in the arrival boat. I could not stop taking photos. we read alot of positive and then a few negatives about the beach but truly its a stunningly beautiful beach and the snorkeling off the beach was phenomenal. we did a lot of kayaking too and you can kayak along the whole resort perimeter and to the next beaches. The beachfornt bure was charming, romantic and the bed was beautiful 4 poster. the location of ours was great not far from their beautiful pool. We loved the spa and took notice to the new one they are building which looks truly amazing. It may be open by now. We did some day trips, went into the village one time (a must do , the kids are adorable) and just relaxed mostly and enjoyed the views and getting to know the staff members and other guests. We will certainly be returning some day and will never forget our amazing trip to Fiji and would highly recommmend Qamea (if you decide on to stay in one spot I would pick Qamea if you just have a week )

• Liked — romantic feeling
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

My husband & I had a fabulous time at Qamea for all the reasons mentioned in the many reviews here. We thought the bure was perfect - we had a standard size beach front bure. The resort grounds were also beautiful. We did a lot of snorkelling and we believe it is comparable to the Great Barrier Reef (we live in Australia). The food was good, and if you factor in the logistics associated with getting food to Qamea, I'd say it was great. The staff is also amazing - so friendly, warm, and enjoyable. I had a few of the spa treatments and they were all great. I believe a new spa should be open by now - it was still under construction when we were there.
My one suggestion to any people heading to Qamea is to pack a few necessaries (including swimming suit) in your carrier. My luggage didn't arrive for 36 hours and if I had had my bathing suit, reef shoes, snorkel, contacts, and toothbrush in my carry on I wouldn't have cared. I understand delayed luggage happens quite often!

• Liked — very comfortable and attractive
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

I'm writing this review not out of some ill-will but in the hope that someone in my shoes would not make the same mistake. I accept that Qamea is and will be paradise to many but it is not for all and sundry and I am probably in the minority. For some background, I go on 4 overseas holidays a year, twice with my husband and twice on my own. My solo trips are to get away from work and family and to just chill out at a fabulous resort. I’ve stayed at some really awesome villas in the Maldives, Phuket and Bali.

I spent a lot of time researching the high end Fijian resorts. These were the reasons why I picked Qamea:
1) It had so many good reviews on Tripadvisor and some of the reviewers who had visited all the resorts on my shortlist put Qamea at the top.
2) I read the Robb Report and noted the Conde Nast Johansens nomination.
3) I was very impressed with the way Qamea management handled bad reviews. They were very prompt and effective at rebutting the reviewer. Their comments were very persuasive and after reading, I would form the opinion that it was the guests
who were at fault thinking the latter were picky and difficult.
4) They tempted me with a 20% discount. These were their exact words in the email “we would really love to have you come visit our little slice of paradise in Fiji.”

There were some positives such as:
The honeymoon villa is very spacious and well furnished.
Staff are friendly (eg Mere from housekeeping) and remember your name.
Qamea Island is beautiful especially the coconut trees.
Qamea Times.
The hammock.
Big fuss when you leave ( but too late for me to change my mind about Qamea!)
Gift shop has nice stuff.
You get to keep sulu and water bottle.
Good facials.
The nightly band.
It does have a lot of activities. I learned how to make kokoda, tried kava for the first time (thanks to Percy) and witnessed a traditional kava ceremony performed by the local villagers. I am not into water based activities so didn’t go snorkelling or diving.

The following grievances would have been non-issues if I had a fabulous time in Qamea:
Lone figure on the beach to meet 5 of us was not much of a welcome. I am aware of the resort's philosophy of gently introducing you to Qamea but methinks that guests can certainly cope with a bit more fuss.
My villa was simply pointed out to me as 5 of us were walked to our bures and I traipsed in alone. I only knew about the red coconut thing because of TA or else would have been clueless.
GM nowhere to be seen until the last day. Granted he was busy supervising some construction work but I think it's very important in such a small resort to be visible. The owners were away throughout my stay.
Boat small and a little tatty, so ride can be rough.
Nice villa but very dark inside and quite a distance from the beach.
Soft drinks are not included.
Internet is charged at FJ50cts per minute.
Communal areas are very cramped and for a lone traveller it is not welcoming. The bar area only had a few stools. It would have been so nice to have felt welcomed as a solo traveller. I had 3 lunches and 2 dinners at the dining room, the staff though were friendly eg William, Nita, Ana, Luisa etc.
Spa (new one being built) is very cramped and lacks privacy. As I walked out of my room after a facial I had to pass by (literally inches away) a couple who were having their massage.

Service was a little patchy eg.
1. On my first night I asked if they had a fresh coconut drink. The staff said he will organise the next day. I asked another staff the next day and no luck. I asked yet again on the 3rd day and still no fresh coconut. If you've been to Fiji you would know that coconut trees are everywhere. Finally on my last day, an hour before I
was due to leave I asked and one was produced.
2. I asked in writing for savoury French toast without icing sugar nor syrup and it arrived sprinkled with icing sugar. I know it sounds petty but such things matters when you’re not having a fabulous time.
3. For my last night, I put my name down for dinner at the beach but the weather was not good so a staff asked if I would like to have it at my villa instead. I asked for it to be delivered at 7.30pm. The turn down girls appeared at my door at 8.20pm so I asked them to remind the kitchen (it was pouring outside) about my dinner which finally appeared at 8.30pm. By then I really felt as though the resort were not aware of my presence. I had arrived on the first day with a lot of goodwill and goodies for the staff. By the third night I was so glad I was leaving the next day.
4. On my last day I sat for 20 minutes in the dining area before the bread arrived. The staff should have known that I was due to leave at 2.00pm and when they came to ask if I was ready to go, my main course was yet to be served so I missed out. I never thought to ask for my cheese burger to be packed and they never offered.
5. I took my name off a village tour because I knew it was going to rain the following day. That tour was cancelled and replaced with other actvities which I missed because I had breakfast at my villa and was not aware of it. I took all my breakfasts in the villa so I could sleep in. So by the time I fronted up to the communal area before noon, Percy had finished with the Fijian dancing lessons and the additional kava festivity.

Granted that there were some enjoyable moments especially lying in the hammock, maybe the score should be closer to 3. However for me to give a resort 4 or 5 it would mean that I’d be happy to recommend it and to make a return trip.

Perhaps all the above was due to some misunderstanding on the management's part. They thought "solo traveller" must equal hermit and therefore ignored me. Never once did I tell them or their staff I wanted to be left alone. I just said that I wanted to get away from work and family. I never kept to myself. I chatted with most of their staff and know about their families. Met and chatted to 2 lovely couples, Beth and Michael, and David and Emma. There were also some young American couples whose names I forget.

I like fabulous resorts because they are good at pampering their guests. Qamea management needs to pay some attention to solo travellers or else not accept our bookings. No one wishes to spend a lot of money on a holiday in order to write a negative review.

I would like to stress again that this review is not to deter others from choosing Qamea but to let others know of my experience. In my opinion, it is not a destination for solo guests.

So to conclude, overall my 3 night stay Qamea was disappointing for me and did not live up to my expectations. I moved on to Royal Davui where I had a fabulous time. There I felt very comfortable and included as a lone traveller. I paid roughly the same price for my spectacular bure at Royal Davui.

I still feel goodwill towards the Qamea staff. Bula vinaka.

• Liked — The hammock
  • Disliked — Dark inside
  • Stayed June 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

My husband and I stayed on Qamea for 10 days in late June this year and had a fantastic time.

As other people have noted, the Fijian people are amazingly friendly. The staff made us feel pampered; everybody knows your name and caters to your needs without seeming fake.

When you first arrive at Qamea (after an admittedly long trip from California, including the flight from Nadi to Taveuni, the 30 minute ride in the van on an unpaved road and a 15 minute boat ride to a shore without a pier) you are stunned by the beauty of this remote location. If it was easier to get to, it would be just another busy place.

Everybody is relaxed and greets you, and that includes the other guests. It shows what the spirit is like - intimate and everybody is having a great time.

The food is absolutely fabulous. The freshest and best lobsters I have ever eaten in my life, lots of fish, vegetables, awesome desserts (there's always ice cream :-)) ...and everything was light and delicious. We could not wait for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day...to hear the drums call us in. This might sound pathetic but was wonderful :-).

The first few days we kept to ourselves and slept, snorkeled and kayaked (our favorite activity there). The snorkeling is spectacular and could not be closer to shore (the daily boat trips are super too though, as the staff knows where to go). Later we went on some trips to Taveuni, including the Waterfall hike and the Lavena Coastal Walk - amazing 10K walk that leads to another gorgeous waterfall where you can swim (not cold). I have to say that Percy, the activities directory who does all the tours is fantastic (I have never seen him sweat either :-)).

At 4 PM every day, there is a volleyball game with the staff, which we sometimes played in. Great fun, the Qamea Resort team rocks :-).

There is too much to write about it all in this review. We met a lot of really nice people, mostly Americans (and many from CA), but also Kiwis and Aussies. You just naturally end up getting to know people, which is something we normally never look for on vacation. But everybody is so mellow.

Oh, and the Meke (comparable to a Hawaiian Luau but without the touristy stuff) was fantastic. I have never seen anything like it, the villagers with their songs and dances are so infectious, we had huge smiles on our faces the whole time.

We had a simple bure which was all we needed. The outdoor showers rock. If you are the type of person who gets attacked by mosquitos, bring lots of repellent and coils to burn. That worked for us. I personally don't get bitten much but my husband did.

I have one last comment. When in Qamea, you feel so close to the place and the people, you wish, or at least we wished, that we had brought some gifts for the staff, and even some people in the village (there's a trip over once a week).

How does it compare to Bora Bora? Very different. While Bora Bora (see my Pearl Beach Resort Review) is still the most beautiful place I have ever seen, Bora Bora is much more touristy. The service was not great and you have the luxury resort feel (no personal touch). On Qamea, you feel like you traveled back 100 years (at least, I imagine Hawaii must have looked this untouched 100 years ago), but with all the luxury amenities of the 21st century.

It's not like staying at a big Ritz Carlton or a mega resort. It's private, it's quiet, it's beautiful, there is the personal touch, the peace and just an atmosphere that you'd have to experience yourself to understand. The place puts you at peace. It's unique.

Last, want to thank Jason, Louis, and Maraiah especially for being so kind to us. But everybody was wonderful. I hope you are all well! We miss you.

• Liked — Very private and spacious
  • Disliked — Could use more lighting
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Modesto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

My husband and I returned from Qamea ~7 weeks ago. We were fortunate enough to have a small (just the two of us) island wedding in true paradise!!! There was absolutely no stress involved...just what we wanted. We were able to plan everything the day before our wedding. Sia, the wedding coordinator, is amazing. And I must add, our wedding photographers John and Diana (bivfiji.com) are beyond amazing!!! If you are looking to have a totally relaxed easy-going wedding, this is your answer.

Our entire stay at Qamea was better than we expected. I do have one minor detail to point out. Our luggage did not arrive with us; however, it arrived a couple of hours later. When we got to Taveuni Island we were a little stressed. After flying all night and not knowing where our luggage was, we waited at the edge of the water (on Taveuni) for the boat to pick us up. At this time, we were a little scared. (That island isn't as close to paradise.) We only ended up waiting about 10 min but it seemed like eternity. As soon as we arrived at Qamea all of our fears ended. The staff was waiting to show us around and even made us a special blue drink. We just thought we should mention the above so no one else gets freaked out. It was very very minor.

We would LOVE to go back. Everything great that you read about Qamea is absolutely true!! The staff is wonderful...Luis, William, Sia, Netti, Ana, Percy, Fast-Eddy, The Band-Boys, Ryan...we could go on and on...

We definitely recommend the Meke Ceremony on Friday night, the Bouma Falls hike, the Kava ceremony, the snorkeling trips and you have to get a massage at the spa. We enjoyed listening to the Band Boys each night after dinner, we even bought their CD.

This is the place to be if you want a true island get-away. It is very relaxing and differs greatly from the 'real-world'. We are completely happy with our decision to go to Fiji. We had a once in a lifetime experience. We have recommended this resort to our closest friends... We will be back someday (soon hopefully)...

• Liked — The location is amazing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

We spent 8 days at Qamea at the start of June and can only report that this place is absolutely fantastic.
As everyone else has already commented the staff are amazing, the most friendly and geuine people that we have met in a long time who will go out of their way to make sure everything you need or want is there for you. I can only advise that you take the time to speak to the staff and learn a little about Fiji and the cultures. These guys have a very simple way of life and enjoy every minute of it, an attitude many of us could do with looking at taking on board.
The manager Jason does a great job of pulling everything together and making sure everything is going smoothly for all guests, having overheard some of the requests from some of the other guests at the resort (they didnt seem to realise that there wasnt a Walmart just round the corner!) I am amazed that he is able to keep everyone happy.
The bures were nice, spacious and clean, nothing more relaxing that lying back in the hammock for a couple of hours in the evenings as the sun goes down.
The tours were excellent, Percy (the main guide) brings a bit extra to the tour, always with a good sense of humour. Even when the weather wasnt the greatest we still enjoyed walking up to and swimming in the waterfalls and heading up to the plantation and seeing the old Fijian villages and learning about the history of the area. When the weather got really bad one day, the staff were given guitars and we spent most of the day listening to them singing traditional Fijian songs whilst the others had us up dancing, very easy to forget that it was raining outside.
The food at the resort is also excellent, if you dont like what they have on offer they will happily make you something else, although it is very hard not to like at least one of the choices on the menu.
During and after the meal the band will play local Fijian music, they also have a big bowl of Kava to share with the guests and later in the night the staff will also come round to join in. One thing we found slightly strange was that after dinner each night, all other guests went straight back to the Bures, we were there 7 nights and each night was the same, just myself and my wife enjoying the music, having a few drinks and chatting/dancing with the staff. It didnt go on late, say 11pm at latest but i was very suprised that having gone all the way to Fiji the others wouldn't want to take advantage of what for me was a very unique experience. Maybe it is just a cultural thing, we were the only non American couple on the resort for the week we were there so maybe this would be normal in the US? In any case i can only recommend that you take some time to sit and listen to the music and have a couple of drinks with the band and staff.

I could very easily have stayed much longer, seeing every member of staff on the beach at 7.30am to sing a leaving song had my wife in tears. This was the final nice touch to a cracking week and one which we hope to repeat in the near future.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!