“Beyond Expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Qamea Island
Sydney, Australia
“Beyond Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our holiday to Qamea Island was beyond our expectations. The age of couples varied - from newly wed young poeple to older couples, however, this did not deter the wonderful companionship between guests and staff. Every moment of our holiday is a treasured memory. The atmosphere was truly amazing from the pre-dinner drinks to our meal. The staff are very special as they treated everyone with the same warmth and love. Belinda and Andrew are truly a gracious, caring and professional couple who manage the Resort and look after all their guests with sincerity. The food was outstanding with the freshest and tastiest dishes, which we all looked forward to at each meal. Nothing was a trouble with staff giving their utmost attention to every small detail. Even though we grouped each night as a family, each couple then respected each other for their time whilst dining. The Qamea Times each day detailing the next day events was something to look forward to each night. We have never experienced such a warmth in all of our holidays. It was very sad to say goodbye but we certainly will be booking another holiday at this beautiful island. The Fijian people are truly beautiful and the world would be a better place if people emulated to their happy demeanours.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Kukuru Bure and it was excellent
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
OwnersAtQamea, General Manager at Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Bula vinaka for your positive review of Qamea Resort and Spa.
We so appreciate the time and effort taken to write and share your holiday experience. It’s incredibly uplifting to read such comments as ‘every moment of our holiday is a treasured memory’ – ‘the atmosphere was truly amazing’ – ‘the staff are very special and treated everyone with warmth and love’ – ‘we have never experienced such warmth in all our holidays’ - but the best part is ‘we will be booking another holiday at this beautiful island’. We can’t wait to welcome you back to our island paradise!
Vinaka
Belinda & Andrew

331 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I stepped onto the sand off the boat until they almost had to carry me kicking and screaming and put me back on it- this was the most fabulous vacation ever. Qamea is amazing in every way. The island itself is a sight to behold -green lush and full of life surrounded by the most beautiful water filled with some of the healthiest and colorful color and fish I have seen. But then there are the people. The staff here are truly what sets this place above and beyond any expectations I had. From John taking me under his wing during the circle qamea tour when my husband couldn't go, to Bubba teaching me fijean dances and explaining the meke ceremony to me, Eric taking us around on his day off to explore, to David who is the most patient and kind scuba instructor. The band boys and the rest of staff including Sia, William, Belinda and Andrew. ... that is what makes this place special. Yes the bures are lovely, the food is fantastic, and the activities cannot be beat, but it is really the people that make this place. It rubs off on the guests and you can't help but to enjoy everything there is to this magical place. I am just counting the days till we can return.

• Stayed July 2013
Gia & Howard what can we say… except… Vinaka Vakalevu
We can’t wait for your return… IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS!!!
A resort cannot ask for a better recommendation than to have a guest leave here and within 2 weeks book their return trip! That’s crazy; but so awesome; we are all so excited.
Vinaka
Andrew & Belinda
Dayton, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I spent six days at Qamea for our honeymoon. All the other guests at Qamea seemed to truly enjoy the resort, but our stay had its ups and downs.

First, the staff is very friendly and the resort is very well taken care of and beautiful. The food was generally good. The portions are a little small, but I’m a picky eater who doesn’t eat seafood, and I still managed to find and enjoy at least one thing at each meal. The beachfront bures are nice, but some are better than others. Some are closer together than others, but have better views of the beach. Most seem to have beach chairs to relax in, but the bure we stayed in did not. Though, they did offer us free drinks to accommodate us for the lack of chairs, since they could not figure out what had happened to the chairs that our bure was supposed to have.

The spa is great, but not for the modest. It is located in the trees and we truly enjoyed every spa service we received. However, the spa specialists are not very careful with their placement of the sheet on your body. So, while the spa services can be provided on the beach, unless you are okay having the other resort guests see parts of your body that are usually covered by a swimsuit, I would suggest getting all spa services at the spa itself.

Qamea seems to provide a lot of activities and tours, but once you are actually there, you are lucky if you get to partake in them. While we were there, they scheduled the same tour for the day we arrived (making it so that we couldn’t go on it that day) and three days later, but that one was cancelled because they didn’t meet their minimum number of guests required for the tour to occur, since all the other guests had gone on the tour a few days earlier. The resort lists the tours available for the week on a chalkboard in the dining bure, in an attempt to help you plan your time there. Yet, they then change the tours offered the day before, making it so you have to choose between activities, when it is completely possible that the day before you didn’t have anything at all to do. Additionally, they state that they offer a guided snorkel tour every afternoon, yet, when my husband and I went to the diving bure to go on the guided snorkel tour, there was no one there. We arrived ten minutes before the tour was supposed to depart, waited for twenty-five minutes and then went back to our bure. They advertise a picnic lunch on a private beach, but fail to tell you until you are preparing to go to the private beach that the times available for the private beach depend on the tides. By that point, the only time available for my husband and I to go to the private beach was immediately after breakfast for only two hours. Therefore, we didn’t get a picnic on the private beach and instead had to return to have lunch with the rest of the resort. One of the only activities that my husband and I did get to enjoy was called the Circle Qamea Tour, which was awesome because you get to snorkel a shipwreck.

The complimentary equipment provided by the resort was poor. The kayaks are the cheapest you can buy and are uncomfortable. The resort did not have the right size snorkeling fins available for my husband, so he was forced to wear his shoes inside the fins every time we went snorkeling.

The service at Qamea was ok. Like I said, the staff is very friendly. They all introduce themselves to you and then remember your name and greet you by it throughout the rest of your stay. However, we booked our entire stay and our transportation to and from the resort through the resort itself, and yet, the resort managed to book us on the wrong flight back to Nadi and then forced us to pay an additional $100 to fix their mistake. Also, when we reported to the staff that we did not have any hot water and a light bulb was out in our bure, they couldn’t fix the hot water until the next morning, and then never fixed the light bulb.

Overall, I would only recommend Qamea if you are looking for a beautiful place to lay around, do nothing and eat good food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
OwnersAtQamea, Owner at Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
It is always disappointing when a negative review is posted by one of our former guests, and like all resorts, it happens from time to time, and the feedback is welcomed and used as a basis to make our product even better. We pride ourselves immensely in the quality of our resort, our amazing staff, and unsurpassed beauty of our remote island oasis.

Sadly though, I am having somewhat of a difficult time making much sense out of several of the comments in this review having read these guests’ handwritten first day review as well as their check out review, which were very positive. And even the review they posted on TripAdvisor is positive in many respects (great food, great spa, friendly staff, well maintained grounds, etc….). Our resort is 1000% focused on guest satisfaction, and when we have an unhappy guest as we do here, we do our best to find out what went wrong in the hope that any errors in our service are not repeated for future guests.

All I can surmise here though is that these guests are blaming us for a fee charged by the local airline to change their booking so that they could go onto a nonstop interisland flight back to Nadi. We did book their interisland flights as a courtesy, and at the time of the booking the only service that was available made a brief stop in Suva. It did not increase the cost of the ticket – at the time, it was the only flight available. Once on the resort these guests insisted that we change them to a non-stop service, and for days our assistant manager repeatedly called the airline, and was finally able to secure the seats when a second flight was added. The airline did charge a ticketing change fee of US$ 62 (not $100), which was paid by the guests directly to the airline directly at check in. These guests agreed to pay the fee when we made the change on their behalf.

I would like to respond to just a few of the other points:

(1) Lack of a deck chair – one of the chairs went missing (probably drug down to the beach by another guest to watch the sunset), and we immediately replaced it when it was brought to our attention. We have no shortage of chairs on the resort.
(2) It sounds like these guests did enjoy many of our activities, but were mostly upset because of the timing of their honeymoon beach picnic. We do not have control over the tides (which dictates beach access), though we do list them daily in our turn down service newsletter, and they are listed in the dive shop on a large chalk board. With that said, I have undertaken a review of our activity scheduling and hope that such misunderstandings do not happen going forward.
(3) We serve gourmet food and the portions are appropriate given the number of courses that are served at each meal. We ask all guests to simply tell us if they require larger portions, or second helpings. This is easy for us to do, and if these guests did not understand this, it was obviously our fault and we apologize for that. Happy to report that just last week a new master chef from Europe joined our island team and over the upcoming months will be tweaking our menus and adding even more sumptuous items for our guests to enjoy. At Qamea we have always had a major focus on food, given my background in the restaurant industry in New Zealand spanning three decades.
(4) The hot water in these guests’ bure went out, and was fixed within 15 minutes per our maintenance records. It was merely an empty gas cylinder. The housemaids should have caught this during their twice daily servicing of the bure, so I apologize for any inconvenience. I do not have any record in our maintenance log of a light bulb out. Our maintenance team is on duty 24/7 to attend to any guest issues.
(5) Regarding the comment “not worth the price” – I only want to draw this reviewer’s attention to the fact that they paid $267 / day per person (excluding local tax), with all gourmet meals, many activities, on a 100 acre resort with a maximum of 34 guests serviced by 85 staff. It is by far the best value at the top end of remote island resorts in Fiji and the South Pacific.

In closing, I thank this guest for submitting this review, and hope that in spite of a few minor glitches, they have fond memories of Fiji and Qamea Island.

Bryce Earwaker
Owner & Director
Qamea Resort & Spa
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I spent 9 nights at Qamea in June. It was the best trip we have ever taken. I was prepared for breathtaking diving and snorkeling, beautiful hikes, luxurious, comfortable accommodations, and gorgeous beaches but what absolutely blew me away were the people and culture. Every member of the Qamea team was warm, welcoming, friendly, attentive and accommodating (especially Belinda and Andrew, Eric, Sam and David, John and Sugar, William, Maraia, Amelia, Luisa and both Lucias!!!)

We completed the advanced dive course with David and Sam. Both were excellent, safe instructors who led us to beautiful lion fish, shrimp, morays, rays, reef sharks, and hundreds of beautiful fish. Both went above and beyond to answer questions and teach us about diving and about Fiji. I highly recommend diving at Qamea. The snorkeling is also amazing right off the beach. There are also frequent opportunities to go on a "guided snorkel" which takes you to another location (off the beach). The entire waterfront crew was amazing.

We loved and highly recommend the Bouma Water Fall and Coastal Hikes. Both hikes lead to gorgeous water falls and cliff jumping (~10-15 feet). Sugar and John are excellent, attentive, friendly, fun guides. They were both the perfect mix of professional and safe, yet fun and adventurous. We can't say enough about them. Bring running shoes you don't mind getting wet or water shoes like Keens. We would recommend wearing quick dry clothing as you will swim and then hike a bit. SO fun!!!

We also visited the Jungle Spa (truly in the jungle) for the 90 minute couples massage. Again, staff were extremely warm and attentive. The massages were wonderful.

We recommend the village visit, church service in the village, Meke and Kava ceremonies. All were excellent opportunities to experience and learn more about the beautiful culture. We were truly inspired by the warmth of the people. The Qamea band was another highlight. They played every night but Sunday from social hour until 10:00. We purchased their CD and enjoyed listening to it while showing family pictures and convincing them to visit Qamea. :)

The food was great, our bure was awesome, and the grounds were perfection. Any resort can give you great food and accommodations. Qamea is truly special because of the unique experiences it provides and AMAZING people. I give Qamea my highest recommendation. I challenge you not to tear up when you leave.

Thank you Qamea team, for warmly sharing your paradise with us!

Room Tip: We were in a bure close to the bar and dining area and could faintly hear the Qamea band when they s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The resort is remarkable! It is mostly hidden from the water giving you an air of privacy and remoteness. My husband and I honeymooned at Qamea this past May. The long trip from CT was WELL worth it. The island was like a slice of heaven. We were greeted by the hotel managers who were so very sweet and accomodating. The grounds are VERY well kept, beautiful, and seem to maintain the essence of native Fiji... in other words they do not appear to have disrupted the natural enviornment much but rather tapped into it and preserved it. We even saw three rare orange doves and that was awesome! We hit the pool daily and had it to oursleves 95% of the time which was nice. The staff is fabulous... very attentive, sweet, curious, funny... some are quite the pranksters! David, the dive master, is also very knowledgebale and quite the traveler.... he has a lot to share if you care to listen.... he has some great stories- and some amazing pictures- he is more than willing to share. Also- they all are really great volleyball players and playing with them was so so much fun! Just be careful- they play for keeps! They certainly made us feel at home and we enjoyed getting to know them during the week. we cannot thank them all enough for making our trip so special. (We miss hearing "Bula!" anytime we go somewhere...lol). The band was also awesome. You can tell they like to play and that they are passionate about music. Listening to them made the package complete...especially on the kava mat or at dinner or before dinner or actually anytime lol. The food was great..though if you are a picky eater the menu might get tricky. I consider myself a little picky though I was open to embracing and trying new foods- and was largely glad I did. The menu could use some more options or some additions at times(for several days the fish of the day was marlin-they must have been running at the time!) though the chef prepared it differently each time) but then we realized about halfway through our week long stay that you could order off menu with no problem... you just need to have an idea what you'd like and the chefs will do what they can to accommodate you. We took advantage of the resort offers and had dinner on the beach (so romantic and...perfect!) and lunch in the dining bure (also awesome!) and breakfast in our room (delightful). You can be as busy or not as you wish which was nice; I think it depends on the people who are at the resort at the same time, but we never felt pressured to partake in more or less than we wanted to do..and we did make some good friends whom we have stayed in touch with since. We found a balance; we participated in several excursions: Circle Qamea-(HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended as Suka is SUPER fun and knowledgeable, the snokeling is like nothing we've EVER seen before, and we've snorkled fairly extensively, they cook you a fresh Fijian BBQ on the beach -delicious and fun and they take you all the way around Qamea which is so much bigger than you realize but SO SO beautiful), guided snorkels, the village tour (SO worth it... an overall fabulous experience; we learned a lot, bought some cool stuff, enjoyed the kava mat experience and musical talents of the villagers, and enjoyed emersing ourselves in the culture), Honeymoon Beach (Great- just be sure to check with the staff the night BEFORE for timing with the tides; we failed to do this once and therefore our beach time got cut short :-() and the Bouma falls trip (Breathtaking). We also did two massages at the spa- both of which were ridiculously delightful, so romantic, and relaxing. We spent a lot of time on our beach, in the hammock, snorkeling, at the spa (also soooooo relaxing), and just exploring. The bure was nice... mostly private and definitely captured the essence of Fiji. We LOVED being completely unplugged. We had no real problems or complaints...the only word of caution (and that is too strong of a word choice): sometimes because they are so laid back and on Fiji time (which we got used to quick and found so relaxing after months of stressful wedding planning) and because there is SUCH a huge staff (60-80 when resort at full capacity is 34! and it definitely was not even at half capacity when we were there which was awesome), or maybe just because of different cultures sometimes communications (especially when it comes to plans) get lost in translation. We requested bigger portions on the meals- especially on days we were more active and needed the extra calories, and had pre-purchased some excursions/experiences that we had to ask for and set up with the staff, rather than them coming to us (which we felt awkward about at first) but then realized it wasn't a big deal... whenever we inquired about something we got answers/results and quickly. They also give you surveys and actually give you feedback on the feedback that you provide to them. It is nice to know that they read and listen to what their guests have to say because they really want to improve and be the best for their guests. Andrew and Belinda said they have only been managing for four months at the time so there will possibly be some changes as they continue to get into the swing of things, but they seemed to be doing a good job so far. The staff and managers sure know how to take care of things and it is clear that they want to satisfy their guests and not just because it is their job. You become part of the family and everyone there really makes you feel that way- connected- like family. You can tell they care about people and not just for $$. In the end, we sure hope to make it back to the shores of Qamea again someday... It is an amazing, memorable experience. Until then, Vinaka staff and family of Qamea.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Royse City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Bula!

We stayed here for our honeymoon in February and I couldn't have been happier. We had trouble with our luggage because we were switched from our original flight from Nadi to Taveuni. The staff at Qamea were awesome, they called the airline multiple times until they finally brought our bags. They even helped us to get some clothes so we didn't have to wear what we arrived in. I would normally have been really upset, but the island and the resort is so beautiful it just didnt matter that much!

The food at Qamea is really good, my wife and I chose different items every meal and shared so we could try as many things as possible. The breakfast was definitely our favorite though, they have fresh local fruit and fruit juices every morning. I dont like papaya normally but the papaya there was amazing!

The staff was incredibly friendly and extremely helpful. They took great care of us made sure we had everything we needed. We loved the cocktail hour, it was a great time to meet other people staying at the resort and to meet the staff. We met several couples there that we have been keeping in touch with.

You can be as active or relaxed as you want here. There is a couple of activities/excursions everyday. My wife and i did a couple of activities but we mostly just relaxed and read books and enjoyed the beach. We went on the Honeymoon beach excursion and we were not that impressed. We definitely had a beach to ourselves but the beach right out front of our Bure was better than that beach. I tried to snorkel at the honeymoon beach but it was low tide and i ended up getting scratched by the coral. We also went on the Bouma Waterfall excursion and I would recommend that trip to everyone! It was beautiful and our guide was awesome! I dont recommend wearing sandals though its slippery at a few spots, but overall the hike is pretty light and you have plenty of time to rest if you need it.

We had a few massages at the SPA and my wife had a coconut wrap and we loved all of it! The ladies at the SPA were phenomenal!

The Bure we stayed in was exactly like the pictures! The outdoor shower was huge! One thing i will say is we had our air conditioner on full blast the entire time we were there and we left the windows shut almost the entire time because it was pretty humid and if we didnt leave the air on it would have been too hot for us to sleep, but we didnt have any problem.

My wife and i are definitely planning to go back some day!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I spent 8 nights at Qamea for our honeymoon in early May, and every day was amazing!

The staff is extremely attentive: learned our names, confirmed travel and dinner reservations for us, extremely friendly.

The grounds are beautiful. The beach is stunning and snorkeling was literally the best we've ever seen. The pool is beautiful (and no one was there so it felt like a private one!). The pictures on the website are 100% accurate and I was pretty skeptical.

The rooms are lovely. Plenty of space. Roomy bathroom (separate toilet, shower, sink areas). The thatch roof is charming. The screened bed was romantic and comfortable. We had everything we needed.

The food is delicious. Great selections everyday. A nice variety of fish/meat/vegetarian. And so much food! Lunch and dinner are three courses each. We've never eaten so well on a vacation.

Overall, the experience was amazing. We would STRONGLY recommend this location for anyone's special vacation.

Room Tip: In our opinion, the upgrade for just the outdoor shower isn't worth it. The basic ocean front ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!