“Tokoriki - Our Wedding in Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
FREE HELICOPTER TRANSFERS
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tokoriki Island
London
“Tokoriki - Our Wedding in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Tokoriki in September 2009 – we got married on the island and spent our honeymoon there. Obviously we have some special memories of this piece of paradise and we’d now like to share these with you – hopefully someone finds them useful.

It’s a long way to travel from North London – over 24 hours if you don’t include a stopover (which we highly recommend, by the way) but it is so worth it. Tokoriki is a secluded island located in the Mamanuca Islands, lying 30 kms north of Nadi (pronounced “Nandi”) in Fiji. There is the option of a short helicopter transfer to the island (on certain packages) but if your stay is more than a few days then you will be frustrated by the baggage restrictions so the fast ferry transfer is for you. This lasts 30 mins and takes in some of the other islands and resorts in the Mamanuca chain and is a perfectly acceptable way to travel particularly if weighed down with baggage although it does not quite provide the James Bond entrance of the helicopter.

The resort is a boutique retreat for couples seeking luxury in paradise and exudes genuine Fijian hospitality. During the research stage, looking for honeymoon locations we literally looked at pretty much every tropical and semi-tropical location on the globe trying to find somewhere unique, somewhere with Wow Factor and somewhere that could genuinely claim to create a once-in-a-lifetime trip. If you’re from cooler climes especially the Northern Hemisphere then a tropical South Pacific Island fulfils the spec on all counts – and Tokoriki Island completely fits the bill. It's better in real life than it is in the pictures.

We had a deluxe beachfront bure nestled in lush gardens right on beach front, providing us with the perfect seats for the mesmerising Fijian sunset. The beachfront bures are luxury, freestanding bungalows, which feature air-conditioning, contemporary bathroom area with his-and-hers basins (which my wife loves), king-size beds, indoor (and outdoor) showers and a private veranda with sun loungers – the perfect spot to watch the sun go down while sipping a glass of something chilled. (N.B. Stock up on alcohol at duty free. Bottles of wine, etc., can be pricey in the resort but they do not mind you enjoying your own provided you do so in your bure only, which is fair enough, I guess). Venturing out onto your own stretch of pristine beach to lounge, swim or whatever was bliss – particularly when you look around and find that on most days there is no one within a hundred yards! Actually finding someone else on the same half-a-mile of beach was extremely unusual – and the place was at full capacity.

The staff are amazing. They made the trip for us. We left a lot of friends behind in Tokoriki. Quite how the managers find these people is beyond me: so genuinely friendly, helpful, attentive - and multi-skilled. The guys that greet you on arrival, carry your bags to your room like Jerry, Penioni and Solomon will be entertaining you with songs and stories in the evening. Amazing!

You can dine under the shade of the palm trees by day or under the stars on the deck in the evening – the choice is yours. The kitchen was happy to accommodate our very fussy dietary requirements. The menu was quite varied, changing daily and featuring fusions of European, Asian and Fijian flavours – all of which we found totally more-ish. Oh yes, and the nightly special cocktails are divine. There was definitely more of the two of us, literally, on the way back home than on the way out there – so compliments to the chefs!

As I said earlier, we were married on the island, in the chapel in the grounds of the resort which is situated amongst lush tropical greenery. Orchids are everywhere in this place. While we had intended to get married on the beach we loved the visual impact of the quaint stone chapel, which could have been anywhere really, were it not for this astounding tropical backdrop. We loved the juxtaposition of the familiar, the quaint stone church, with the fierce tropical and verdant beauty of Fiji.

My wife was carried to the church on a throne by four burly Fijian warriors to the strains of a Fijian choir – I think she could quite get used to being carried around on a palanquin by burly men like a Fijian princess. I waited inside the church out of sight while she made the dramatic entrance followed by her train maiden, the Wedding Coordinator and other helpers. All involved, including Mela at the Nadi Office, ensured that everything was perfect and that our every wish was catered for - from my wife's hair and make-up to the choir that sung us into and out of the church and the meal in the evening. Nothing was ever too much trouble and it went perfectly. Before, during and after the ceremony, our photographer, Bill Campbell (of ProShots Fiji) was busy unobtrusively clicking away taking some brilliant pictures including on the beach at sunset and also in the grounds. We went on to dine under the stars on the deck, with the kaleidoscope of colours following the sun towards the horizon, with the waves breaking against the rocks below. Very romantic & truly remarkable.

We both indulged ourselves in several pre and post-wedding treatments at the spa. All the treatments were excellent.

Tokoriki’s managers are definitely onto something with their small, boutique property, affording luxury and privacy in equal measure – perfect for honeymooners and young couples. With no TV, no phones and no laptops or computers at hand, home and work and real life was a distant and happily forgotten memory.

This is not the place for restless souls anxious nightlife. Tokoriki is all about luxury and relaxation. Activities are predominantly waterborne such as diving, snorkelling, swimming, fishing and trips to secluded island bays for picnics, sunbathing - or whatever! If that’s too much like hard work then the infinity pool is gorgeous as is the beach. What’s not to like?

I happily recommend it to any couples seeking to unwind in a tropical paradise.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Boyne Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

This was the most amazing holiday I have ever had. We had the warmst welcoming from the staff, which made us feel special. The staff were amazing. I have never met such friendly people who smile all the time and just can't do enough for you. I have to comend them for the wonderful way they handled the Cyclone Mick. We were supposed to leave on the day it it the island, so we couldn't fly out or even go by boat (much to my pleasure as I hate boats). The staff still continued to smile and try and make everyone as comfortable as possible.

They were continuously still cleaning up around us and barcading all the windows and things that could be done. During the storm they went to check on everyone to make sure everyone was safe and even put their lives in danger to get us back to our rooms. They didn't charge us for the extra night which I thought was really good.

The island is so beautiful it is really hard to put into words. I have never been so relaxed. I think it was because there wasn't a moment of negative energy even during the cyclone. They have so much for you to do if you want to otherwise you could be like my husband who just enjoyed sitting on the pool chair and read. I enjoyed all the activities that they offered. I learnt alot about coconuts, and weaving baskets out of palm tree leaves. We even did a crab hunt for the international crab race. Which I might add my crab won...

The food was great and alot of it. While eating you have a group of staff that came around and sang at each table every night. This was so romantic.

I was even lucky enough to be part of a wedding on the island, which was something to remember. Once again the staff were amazing.

So if you are looking for a wonderful, relaxing holiday there is no better place to go.

The rooms were so clean and have stunning views. We had the delux bura and I couldn't have been happier. I didn't mind not having my own pool, because it gave me a chance to meet new people and to once again enjoy the hospitality of the staff, who bought fruit kebabs while you tanned.

We even got to enjoy a church service in the lovely little chapel, Not that I could understand any of it, it was just lovely to be part of it and to listen to the beautiful voices of the people. They did welcome us in English and tell us a bit about the church.

I would really recommend it to anyone. I will definitely be looking at going back at some stage. It was the first time in 12 years that my hubby and I have been on a holiday alone and there is no other place I would have rather been.

Thanks to all the staff at the Tokoriki Island you are amazing.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Tokoriki resort and were immediately impressed with the warm reception, genuine friendliness of the staff, and the stylish and clean room. We had planned to stay for four nights, but Cyclone Mick - a category 2 tropical cyclone - descended on our last day. The ferry was unable to leave the mainland, so we had to stay another night.

I write this not to deter anyone from going to Fiji (this was the worst cyclone in over a decade); rather, to illustrate the amazing lengths that Tokoriki staff went to to make us comfortable. Cyclone Mick was strong enough to uproot trees and hail coconuts, however the staff immediately raced around and boarded every guests' windows. Even in the midst of the incredible cyclone, they were ensuring utmost cleanliness and service, continuing to serve quality food and deliver the highest standard of hospitality. The staff even carried our bags back to our room despite the risk to their own lives - and didn't even charge us for the extra night we had to stay!

In the morning, we awoke to find the staff had swept and cleaned the resort in the early morning, and despite the obvious problems of felled and broken trees, the resort was as bright and fresh as the smiles of the staff.

Thankyou Tokoriki, for a most wonderful stay. We have recommended you to all our friends and family.

p.s. We really loved having a Sunset Pool Villa - more expensive, but the luxury of having your own pool and day bed is priceless. The other rooms were also very beautiful but the villas were spectacular.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
herts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

BULA!!!

Coming all the way from the UK post our wedding on the east coast of australia, and organising a wedding to be held in Oz was enough to stress anyone out, but post wedding we settled in Tokoriki for 5 nights, and although you may think it is pricey, you WILL NOT believe how relaxed it felt to be here for just 5 nights. The hotel is perfect, the food is fantastic, and the friendly staff amazing, but to top it all the private villas are perfect for a honeymoon (as we were on ours). worth the extra money...

Couldn't have asked for more, just great.

Thank you Tokoriki for giving us the Fijian hospitality we could only have wished for

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

We recently returned from our fabulous honeymoon at Tokoriki Island Resort and can't thank the staff for making our special holiday so amazing! After a hectic lead up to our wedding we were able to completely unwind and relax on this beautiful island. Everything was just perfect including our bure (fresh flowers everyday on our bed!), the delicious fresh food, friendly staff and range of relaxing activities. We felt we could do as little or as much as we wanted including relaxing on our own private hammock to scuba diving (we were lucky enough to spot 3 turtles!), champagne Island hopping or snorkelling straight of the beach. We can't thank everyone at Tokoriki Island Resort enough for the most perfect honeymoon/holiday ever. As soon as we left we were already talking about when we would be coming back again. Paradise on earth.

Service was excellent - can't recommend this resort for honeymooners enough.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

Tokoriki Resort was great being an adults only resort. Most guests were newly weds from Australia and New Zealand. Most people kept to themselves which was understandable!! The staff at the resort were very friendly and remembered your name and called you by name every day.

Our bure was clean and tastefully furnished. You could watch the ocean while laying in bed!! The outside shower facility was great to use under the open blue sky. Each bure had a hammock but ours was the best as it was under a large shaded tree very close to the ocean. Our bure (#20) was also closer to the ocean than the other units. I would say any units would be fine. We did get a chance to peek into the honeymoon bure with its own swimming pool. It was also very beautiful and decorated with fresh flowers everywhere for the next honeymoon couple. We also looked at the units that were closer to the cliff side with the ocean view. They were also nice but were slotted for refurbishing which we found out from another couple we met and they let us look at their unit. I still preferred what we had. There was an inside shower too but we only used it once.

The food at the resort was OK - just OK. It was good that we had the meal plan as otherwise the menu price for the quality would be rated as high. I would recommend the resort with knowing not to expect too much in the food department.

The spa here was great. They had a special package of a massage, a facial and a pedicure for FJ$200.00.

The private beach was good only in places at the resort. The sand is not very soft like the other beaches we went to on our cruise to the Yashawa Islands. (Please see my comments on the Blue Lagoon Cruise). The resort could make a bit more effort in clearing the weeds from the beach. The resort was also trying to clear the seaweeds from the water in front of the resort. I hope they can do that and it would be nice to swim in the ocean.

The best part was flying into the resort by helicopter - free if you stay more than certain number of days - as you can see other islands enroute on the 15 minute flight. Otherwise you go by boat. I understand that it is about 2 hours as it stops at various resorts.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

Just returned from our honeymoon in Fiji. First let my say that Tokoriki Island Resort is simply paradise on earth, from the moment we stepped off the chopper we had the most amazingly warm reception, genuinely friendly staff (Penioni)met us on arrival at the helipad and gave us a necklace and cocktail on arrival along with a personal ‘welcome song’. We stayed three nights in Bure 20 and it was fantastic with beautiful views, secluded so that you felt alone without seeing your neighbours. Did not want to leave this place and seriously regretted not budgeting more to stay for a few extra nights as three nights was not enough! No children in fact all the guests we spoke to were on their honeymoon – mostly fellow Aussies so we did not feel like we were in another country at all.

Tokoriki has excellent breath taking snorkeling just off the beach. Great island tours such as Monuriki (where Tom Hanks in the movie Castaway was filmed) not too far off. Seaweed is not a problem, staff clean this up every morning. Small generator noise currently in November 09 as staff are doing some extensions to the resort but this was not noticeable down the end of the resort towards the higher bure numbers.

Excellent resort with the most genuine staff. I can not think of a single thing on the negative side to say about this resort - if I had to comment I’d say it was a bit on the expensive side - but well worth it, for a honeymoon destination this was perfect – just wished we could have afforded to stayed longer!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Tokoriki Island Resort? Share your experiences!