“Beautiful Resort,beautiful people” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tokoriki Island
Carlingford, Australia
“Beautiful Resort,beautiful people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Arrived by night by speedboat,though expensive was the only option as landed at Nadi at 6.30 in evening.Was incredible though to enter the resort at night with all the Torches and jump onto the beach.I found the resort quiet but that was what we wanted.We went with our 17 year old son on a last minute plan,and though he initially felt a little awkwardas mainly couples,he had a great time.We went diving while my wife relaxed by the pool or had a spa.There was also daily snorkelling around the island which we all went on.There was little things going on every day,but its mainly a resort to just chill at.You can to surrounding islands or just relax.I found the food fine.It is a very small resort and you dont get the options of the larger ones,but you do get a greater sense of privacy.As everyone said there people are incredibly friendly and I would love to check out more of the islands,but would definitely spend a couple of nights here again.The huts are superb with plenty of room and lovely views of the ocean and a hammock for the brave.The diving is easy toarrange,most dives being a short boat trip and the divemasters relaxed and knowledgeable.Going back to the food ,I found the service exemplary and never had to wait.We all loved the place and very sad to leave .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was the first time my wife and I travelled to Fiji and I can say that with absolute confidence that this is a place we will come back to every year. If you want a relaxing, care free, kid free holiday destination, then this is the place for you.

We stayed for 7 days and we were tempted to extend our duration at the resort to 10 days.There are 3 ways in which you can get to Tokoriki Island Resort - ferry, sea plane or helicopter. We chose the helicopter option and this in my opinion is a great way to arrive. You get to see the neighbouring islands and when you arrive at the resort, you almost feel a bit like rock star. The helicopter pilots from Island Hoppers are fantastic and give you a bit of a guided tour on the way to your destination.

When we arrived we were greeted by Ramsey (with a big "BULA") whose personality is larger than life. Upon arriving you are given a refreshing mocktail followed by a welcome song that is sung by half a dozen staff. Ramsey then took us on tour of the grounds and showed us to our rooms. Let the relaxing begin!!!

THE STAFF - We were truly swept off our feet by the staff at Tokoriki. We heard so much about their friendly nature but had never experienced it before. They are so friendly and always willing to help you out. They are not this nice because they are expecting some form of gratuity from you (this is not allowed). It is in their nature. Kris and Kelera were standouts. They knew our names right from the first moment we met them - WOW!! We did not have one single complaint with the staff. Freddy behind the bar makes fantastic cocktails - I recommend a mojito, a berry collins or an angry Fijian. Then you have guys such as Joe and Sami who bring you your drinks and food. Sami has the biggest smile which lights up the entire island......if he ever had a bad day, you would not know about it. The band - Paulo, Lai, Little Vili and Big Vili were great entertainment. They will serenade you every night during dinner. Just simply name a song, a group or a singer and they will play it for you........I recommend getting them to play Surfin USA (by the Beach Boys) or the "Coconut" song....ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC BOYS!!! Little Vili has a remarkable voice.

THE SERVICE - I have read comments about drinks being forgotten or not being quick enough. I can only speak from my experience. My wife and I worked through the entire cocktail list (well...almost) and not once were our drinks or meals forgotten. The service can be a little slow sometimes....but to be honest not very often. You will probably have a 20 to 30 minute in between entree and main however, when you are sitting down enjoying the picturesque sunset, talking to your partner/ husband/ wife or listening to the band serenade the diners.....you will not even notice. Anyway, you are on a relaxing holiday.........so really what's the rush??!!

FOOD & DRINKS - Delicious!! The cocktails are to die for. They have a wide range of drinks to choose from and every one of them hit the spot. I was a bit concerned that the same range of meals might be served each night.....I was mistaken. You are served a wide range of meals each night and the quality of the food never disappointed. I do recommend going out on a fishing charter because if you catch a yellowfin tuna or a spanish mackeral.....have guess what you're having for dinner??!! Nothing like fresh sashimi and char-grilled tuna steaks for dinner. Compliments to the chef!!

ROOMS/ CLEANLINESS - We stayed in a beach bure (room # 12) which we found to be more than adequate. You are quite literally metres from the beach.......less than 40 paces from your backdoor is the beach with beautiful crystal clear waters with an average water temperature of 27 degrees celsius and literally no seaweed in sight. We chose this style room as you are literally less than 60 seconds from the beach and will spend most of the time either sleeping in the hammock, swimming in the ocean, lazing around and in the magnificent infinity pool overlooking the picturesque view while sipping wonderful cocktails and mingling with the other guests on the island. Every room comes with an outside shower which is the best invention since sliced bread. Once you use it, you will never want a shower inside again!! Cleanliness of the room we found to be spot on, no complaints here. Always well represented and they even incorporate a nightly turn down service where the sheets are turned down complete with a list of activities that are available for the next day as well as the names of the guest which are leaving. It must be noted that there is no room service at Tokoriki Island Resort which is a wonderful idea as it encourages you to get outside and mingle with other guests as well as the staff.

DAY ACTIVITIES - This is a place where people come to relax and to forget about the hustle and bustle of city life. So you will not find strenuous activities or a gymnasium available which was fine with us. Tokoriki has regular snorkelling sessions which are held in the afternoon which are complimentary. You can take a walk up to the top of Tokoriki Island and look out across this little piece of paradise (I would recommend doing this in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid the heat). Other activities available are: scuba diving (both beginners and experienced), kayaking, 4 hour private beach picnics, tennis, beach volleyball with the locals, windsurfing, paddle boarding, sunset cruise, sacred island tour, village tour, Monuriki island 'Castaway' tour or my favourite...sports fishing. Most of the island tours/ cruises will incur a small charge but the prices are very reasonable.

FISHING - I can highly recommend taking a fishing charter. These last for at least 3 hours. There are a wide range of fish which you can catch such as yellowfin tuna, giant trevally and mahi mahi just to name a few. The boat which you go out on (the Vagabond) may not look like much but it certainly gets the job done and has recently been upgraded with twin outboard motors, fish finder and GPS. If you catch a fish which does not fall under the "catch and release" tag then, you get to take it back to the island where the head chef will cook it up for you.....any way you like. The crew aboard the Vagabond are very experienced and know where the fish are biting.

NIGHT ACTIVITIES - Each night at around 9:30pm, there are activities which are held to have the guests and staff mingle with each other. You can participate in the coconut swinging contest, the international crab racing or our favourite...'kava' night (Sunday and Wednesday nights). Kava night is a good opportunity to sit around with the other guests, learn about the history of this drink and how it is made, partake in some (....or a lot) of kava taste testing and sit back and listen to the band play some songs. Don't be surprised if some of the workers, who have finished their shift, come by and join in.........this was a great night. We didn't get to bed until midnight!!! We would have stayed for longer if we didn’t have to fly home the next day.

MASSAGE CENTRE - The resort currently has a deal where you can get UNLIMITED massages for 3, 4 or 5 days (expires in 2014). My wife and I chose the 3 day unlimited massage package. The massages are quite good however, we did find some more training is probably required with some of the women at the spa as sometimes the back massage was a little hit and miss, but still relaxing overall. For the guys, I would recommend getting a facial - this was fantastic!! Your face feels fresh and revitalised after a week of putting on sunscreen. To all of the gents reading this, man up and do it......you will not regret it. I recommend that you do this towards the end of your stay.

OTHER - The hotel and the surrounding grounds are kept in very good condition. The grounds people constantly keep the resort looking great. You will always see staff out there ensuring the gardens are neat and tidy, pools are clean, paths are swept, etc. The resort always has its fresh water courtesy of its own desalination plant on the island.....so the water from the taps in your room is drinkable, no need to purchase bottled water. I also recommend taking regular dips in the ocean - it is right outside your room and the temperature is, on average, 27/ 28 degrees celsius.

OVERALL - The resort's motto is "Arrive as a visitor......leave as a friend". How true this is!! We were sad to go, especially when they sang the farewell song to us. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff at this resort. They were simply wonderful. Always pleasant to talk to. Always willing to help and have a chat. A big VANAKA has to go to Kris who was an absolute delight, as well as Sami with his beaming smile, 'big' Vili (from the band) who is always trying to make you laugh and 'little' Vili (from the band) with his magnificent voice and musical talent. The staff at Tokoriki Island Resort are an absolute asset and really made this such a memorable holiday for my wife and I. It was one of our best trips, made all the more special by the staff. We cannot get back there soon enough.

Tokoriki Island Resort - See you in 2014!!

Vinaka vaka levu,

Tim & Sherri.

Room Tip: Go out on a sport fishing charter. The boat will fit a maximum of 4 people. You can reduce the cost...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Tokoriki island is extremely small with no place to go except the resort. The sand on the beach is very soft and is not really walkable. If you like to run and beach walk this is not the place for you. That said, the service was excellent, the restaurant quite good but over priced, particularly at breakfast, the entertainment at both lunch and dinner very enjoyable, the beach bure was lovely but the walk down to the beach was quite difficult and I saw noone on the beach the entire time we were there. Other activities like laying by the pool, snorkling and deep sea fishing abound. Highly recommended for a quiet, laid back, exercise free, adults only vacation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMTokoriki, General Manager at Tokoriki Island Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Bula LyleK,
Thank you for your review. I noticed on your other reviews you stayed on another island during your stay in Fiji which has many resorts to visit and places to go. Tokoriki is a private island resort, intimate, relaxing and perfect for honeymooners and couples.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the great comments on our services. I am not sure as to what/where you are comparing our prices to in particular breakfast. Approx US$20 we offer a large choice of cereals, juices, coffee, tea, breads, pastries, fresh tropical fruits, yoghurts, nuts, compotes, cold cuts and cheeses. Add US$6 for a full American breakfast on an idyllic island setting overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the added value of being cared for by the happiest people in the world. Bliss!

We have a 25m fresh water pool with infinity edge, float pool beds, the most amazing views and poolside service with complimentary mini cocktails, cold towels and other services, the majority of our guests love this feature of Tokoriki. Given the size and intimacy of the resort, you rarely see guests out and about during the day as they are all doing different activities. Unlimited Spa treatments, hiking, scuba diving, tennis, paddle boarding, sailing, sleeping, reading books, gameboards. So much choice!

Vinaka once again for taking your time to share your experience of your stay with us.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had a nice stay but it is overrated and not worth what you pay. The positive is the staff is very friendly and many thanks to Patrice who made our stay a much nicer experience. On the negative side, the food is very average and you have to wait for ages when you order a meal and between each course, and even though you are on holidays it does get frustrating! The cleanliness in our room could have been better and as for the spa, yes it is very cheap but that's all it is worth. So overall, we were disappointed, it was only ok and realistically I would rate this resort as a 3 star. Way too expensive for what you get in my opinion.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Honeymoon in Fiji, always wanted to say that, and Tokoriki made it happen. A meal plan is essential here, as it costs hundreds to get to the mainland with any alternate eating options. When I went to Fiji, my luggage went to China, and I spent my whole honeymoon without even a swimsuit (last time I pack without the essentials in the carry-on). However, the staff was friendly, helpful, and we enjoyed every minute of the stay. I think this is the first time I have ever been to a property without a television, so we read - a lot. The private patios, beachfront bures and hammocks helped us relax and we used the outdoor shower with joy everyday.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was our first time in Fiji and Tokoriki definitely set a high standard. Despite the damage from the cyclone, the staff at Tokoriki did a great job in cleaning up the resort. One could only imagine how beautiful it would’ve looked prior to the cyclone.

The food exceeded our expectations – chef Rainal doesn’t disappoint! A testament to the quality of the food was the fact that guests would regularly come over to dine from the Amanuca resort. Unfortunately this slowed down the service on one of the nights as so many of them had decided to dine at the same time. We don’t blame them! We were also lucky to enjoy a special Christmas dinner and have the private ocean dining experience. A special thanks goes to waitress Marama and waiter Seva.

In terms of activities there is so much to do. The staff lay out a list of activities for the day and you’ll be sure to be kept busy if you desire. The snorkelling and diving are great. Will and Alex at the dive shop are extremely friendly and will assist you with whatever you need. There are also a variety of tours (island hopping, Monoriki and sunset) available throughout the week. Unfortunately we didn’t have enough time to do many of them as we were just so busy relaxing by the pool!

The staff are always smiling and ready to help. As one of the previous posters noted, the friendly and relaxing vibe of the place really brings the guests together. You also cannot miss the band boys - Paulo, Josua and Vili - they are sure to entertain you each night with a song at dinner (I look forward to their upcoming CD!). The unforgettable Josua made our stay and so many others’ fun and enjoyable. Special thanks also go out to Niumaia, Penioni and Dutchy.

Finally, the staff even graciously upgraded us to a sunset pool villa for our last day (thank you Niumaia!). While we had enjoyed our bure, the villa was amazing. With our own private plunge pool and a beautiful view of the sunset this really capped off a truly relaxing and enjoyable stay. The outdoor showers are great too. We would highly recommend couples to stay at Tokoriki when they visit Fiji.

Jason & Michelle

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I should not have waited so long to post this review of such a magical place. Aside from the most perfect setting, the staff is really what makes this place so wonderful. When we arrived, they knew us by name and always greeted us with the most sincere smile and friendliest "Bula". We stayed in SPV 4 (Sunset Pool Villa) where we had our own pool. The pool was cleaned daily, and the cleaners helped my husband open coconuts more than once! We booked daily spa visits for the week (often 2 massages a day) and the ladies in the spa spoiled us with their magic hands and kindess. What a way to spend a honeymoon! We visited the main reception area daily for the 4:00 tea time and loved just watching the waves as there is no worry in the world when you're there. We booked a dinner at Oishii, the tepanyaki restaurant and it was amazing. You must eat here at least once! Bones, our cook, entertained us and kept us happy all night. We loved the soundtrack they were playing (Sabrina's Version) and the staff were kind enough to let us copy the songs to our computer so we could listen at home. I can't repeat enough how special the staff make you feel when you're in their company. Joshua and Moses and the rest of the Bula Boys entertained us nightly, with their own versions of hit songs. They had us laughing so much. You can tell that all of the staff love their jobs and are really there for the guests. Villi was one of my favourites at the resort. So quiet and polite, such a nice genuine smile and a very talented singer/guitarist. He is the resident warrior who lights the torches every night at sunset. We also did a coconut demonstration. So fun! I thought our week there would be spent laying around doing not much of anything, but when we got settled in we quickly signed up for several activities. The day trip to the island where Castaway was filmed is a must. The private honeymoon island lunch was amazing. The snorkling was to die for. The meals were so good. Just don't go to the dining area hungry. You will be waiting. A long time. But hey, it's Fiji time!
It was a good thing I had sunglasses on when we left otherwise I would have burst out in tears. It's so sad when the staff wave you goodbye on the beach and you are floating away on the boat. We chose Fiji as our honeymoon because living in Canada, we never thought we'd do anything like that again. On our first day at Tokoriki we decided that we MUST go back. Perhaps for our 5th anniversary and we will renew our vows on the beach! I just hope we see the same faces.

Room Tip: They are all very good! The Sunset Pool Villas are mosre private and off to the ends of the island.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tokoriki Island Resort? Share your experiences!