This is my third review of Castaway Island on Tripadvisor so i'm here to explain why travellers return year after year to this resort. Yes the resort is picture postcard perfect, the views are stunning, the weather is great, the food is amazing, the activities program has something for everyone and the facilities are beautiful and well maintained, but all of this is overshadowed by one key thing - the feeling of being part of the Castaway family you get from the staff on the island.
Stepping off the boat really feels like you're coming home, the warm welcome you receive with the welcome song, the personalised service when checking in, and the staff remembering any special occasion you may be celebrating really make you feel like you matter.
Giant grins and a friendly 'Bula' come from every direction. The staff look like they love working at the resort and it's impossible not to smile back or laugh when they are laughing. Kids club staff would put seasoned comedians to shame, their one liners had us in stitches every day.
Our visit this time was to celebrate a 'special number' birthday for my husband. We were offered a celebratory cake personalised for the occasion and the band sang to our table as the cake was delivered. As we had eaten SO much food in the days prior (make sure you sign up for the meal plan, it offers great value!) we were unable to finish the cake so cut it up and delivered a piece each to the band boys who were very appreciative of the gesture.
This time we travelled with our two teenage children. They had been before but were now at an age that I had some concern about whether they would be kept busy enough during our 8 day stay to not get bored. I shouldn't have worried - they had a ball and really enjoyed catching up with other teens at a Mocktail Party one of the nights we were there. The rest of the time they were constantly on the go.. or eating! Thanks Chef Lance Seeto for managing to fill my teenage son's stomach, i've never been able to achieve this feat.
Although the resort was fully booked for our trip at no time did it ever feel crowded, we never missed out on a lounge chair beside the pool, a great table for meals or space at the bar for cocktail hours. Don't let the thought of it being busy put you off, you're guaranteed to find peace even at maximum occupancy. We stayed again in a Beachfront Bure but if you are working on a lower budget any of the bures would suit as they are all close to the action and in essence are the same inside.
Special thanks to the resort manager Steven who helped us arrange a private charter of one of the Castaway boats so we could visit a nearby village to deliver items we had taken to donate to the village children. This was very much appreciated. And to all the staff we hold dear to our hearts - Dan, Samu, Sami (who 'saved' my daughter from a ferocious spider), the Egg Man (Hi from Anchovies), Visili, Una, Poni, Joe, Ratu, Liku, Lekima and Akima - Vianka Vakalevu and Sota Tale (see you again) from Mr Vonu, Felicity, Anchovies and Max.
- Also Known As:
- Castaway Island Fiji Hotel Qalito Island
- Castaway Island
- Castaway Island Fiji Qalito
- Castaway Island Resort
- Castaway Island Fiji Hotel
- Fiji Castaway Resort
- Castaway Fiji Hotel Island
- Castaway Island Fiji Castaway Island (Qalito)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castaway Island, Fiji provides a unique South Pacific experience - a great place to relax, unwind and enjoy life's simple pleasures. Fiji's most popular island resort has guests returning year after year to experience the magic that is "Castaway". The island's 174 acres are covered with lush tropical vegetation, and surrounded by white sand beaches and vibrant coral reefs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Castaway Island Fiji reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.