“Almost perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castaway Island Fiji

You added Castaway Island Fiji to your Saves list
Castaway Island Fiji
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Castaway Island | Mamanuca Island group, Fiji Islands, 1111, Fiji   |
Hotel deals
Newcastle
“Almost perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I plus 2 young kids recently stayed in a garden bure and totally loved it. Here is a short list of the features we loved:

All of the staff were super friendly and accommodating and said they were very happy to work there. Very good swimming beach out of the trade wind with good snorkeling over coral a little further out. Good kids pool and excellent adults pool. Very good food (and great coffee) especially at the waters edge restaurant. Great kids club and nanny service so we could have some time out. The island is forested and you can walk around it at low tide or climb the peak. We`re already saving for our next visit to Castaway.

Room Tip: We really liked our garden bure south-east of the main resort area, away from everyone else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Hebrew first
Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My partner and i spent three nights at Castaway Island in a garden bure. The bure was tucked away surrounded by beautiful maintained gardens; our room was very private and quiet. The staff were amazing, they are so friendly and go out of their way to make sure your every need is met. Free wifi is available at the restaurants and bars which was great to stay in contact with family back home. The breakfast buffet was fantastic and had a great selection. The meals in the main restaurant were some of the best meals I have ever had!! If you go to castaway you must order the eye fillet steak minion.. Delicious!!! The beaches had white sand and crystal clear water. The snorkelling off the beach was amazing, it was actually better than some of the tours we went on. We went on one outer reef tour while we were on castaway, you get to snorkel for around an hour, we were lucky enough to see a turtle = amazing experience!! This resort is extremely family friendly, kids stay free and they offer a fantastic kids club so if you’re looking for a more romantic adults only type of experience I would recommend maybe staying elsewhere. But if you have kids, or you don’t mind being around kids I would highly recommend Castaway Resort!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at castaway for five nights. We were in love with the island immediately and our first afternoon on the beach at sunset was nothing short of magical.

The kids buffet was a hit with our kids and let us enjoy dinner as a couple as they would go to kids club or stay with a babysitter while we ate. The food was excellent, no bad meals at all which is quite something in Fiji in my experience. Breakfast was great and the menus overall offered healthier options than I have seen at other resorts.

The two pools (one for adults and one for families) were beautiful, really well done. The choice of two beaches was good, especially as one tended to cop the wind on a couple of days. The restaurant areas were surprisingly sheltered though.

Activities were great, kids loved banana boating, kayaking and snorkelling. The reef is amazing, just teeming with fish. Our boys loved standing in the shallows watching the brightly coloured reef fish hunt the schools of smaller fish causing the fish to 'jump'.

The rooms were fine, pretty identical to outrigger. It's a shame there is no two bedroom option for larger families, our family of 5 fit ok in a 5 person bure but there were some disturbed nights when the baby was unsettled and another child had a cough. I think with slightly older children this would be less of an issue however.

There were only a couple of negatives. Firstly our kids usually love kids club but this one they didn't get into. The ladies seemed nice but the male staff member was not very welcoming to our boys the first time we went and I think that got them off on the wrong footing. After a few sessions they preferred to stay with the babysitter or us. Our older son liked the tennis court games at night however.

The other negative was that, while all the Fijian staff were friendly and polite, the European looking management (I assume) were quite the opposite and seemed to go out of their way to avoid eye contact etc. Very odd.

On the whole we had a wonderful stay. It is a perfect holiday for families and we would love to return. Being only a one hour boat trip from the mainland is a bonus too.

Room Tip: The buries on the main beach are nice but its very busy at times. The buries on the back beach are q...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

This resort is better than Outrigger. The main problem I had is with insects. But that was a small problem. The island was small and beautiful. Be careful taking the reef walk it's more difficult than you think especially for those who may have health issues.

The bush walk is also better suited for persons in good shape. My daughter and I had no problem with either activity but just forewarning,

Too many little kids. Parents take your children to Disney or Australia's equivalent,

The food was fine.

My main gripe is with the "spa". The massage therapist and the massages were nice but it's outside in a location where there are children screaming and people laughing loudly...TOO MUCH NOISE., for something that should be peaceful and reinvigorating experience. I also caught a guy peering into the area while I was dressing--not good.

This is an island best suited for honeymooners or couples--NOT LITTLE CHILDREN WITH LITTLE TO NO HOME TRAINING!!!

Overall, I'd go back!

Fiji is gorgeous and the vast majority of the people are very friendly!!!!

Vinaka

• Stayed June 2013
Blackwater
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Have just had 3 nights on Castaway for A Family Wedding and really enjoyed it. The island is beautiful and the Staff very Friendly, Never forget you and remember your name from day one. Wedding was done with professionalism plus highly reccommend. Bures are a little tired would be my only complaint but the service etc outweighs that. Would certainly go again. Highly reccommend purchasing meal package when arriving.

australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

If you have kids that are 3+ the kids club is fabulous! The ladies running it are great with kids and the activities inc games on the tennis court, hunting for hermit crabs, looking at a bonfire, treasure hunt. The nannies are great with smaller kids and great value.
The rooms were not as good as I thought it would b for how much it costs per night ($800). We had two small kids and they stayed in the 'lounge' room with a small bamboo partition separating them from the master bed. The air con blew directly onto the master bed which I didn't like. Also the rooms were basically cleaned daily. The bed sheets weren't changed everyday and there was constantly sand in the bed.
I met the rudest Fijian on the island. She was at reception and never had a warm smile or bula. Due to the general lack of information given to new guests I went to reception to ask questions. I only had five. Half way thru answering them very abruptly she went back to doing sums in a book, took money from another staff member and had a conversation. I actually had to say I have a few more questions and hope I'm not disrupting you. For the cost per night, I never expected this.
Repairs are still going ahead after the cyclone and we were positioned near a building that turned out to b the owners house. During rest time in the day I enjoyed listening to circular saws, sanding and hammering. After a few days I went to c the builders and they moved at least the circular saw to the far side of the building site so it wasn't as loud.
I expected things like taking a boat to nearby snorkeling places and hand line fishing from a boat to b included in the $800 a night but alas it's extra.
Each room was not allowed two keys!!
And the guided reef walk with joe was a disaster. He walked one side of the resort until the rocks got too slippery for parents and kids then walked in the opposite direction and did the same thing. In between he was half a beach ahead of everyone and would whistle when he saw something, point to the spot them walk on. Total waste of time.
We booked through a travel agent along with a number of other families as a group. But instead of putting us all close together we were literally on opposite ends of the island.
The swimming pool was in the middle of the island and surrounded by buildings so really u could have been anywhere in the world.
All up, I would not be once of the 40% who revisiting the island. Totally not value for money and less than I expected

• Stayed May 2013
Freshwater, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have been to many island in our travel time around the world as a couple and a family and Castaway definitely tops the favourite list! Even though we had 3 days of stormy weather and rain, we truly enjoyed our 5 nights stay especially thanks to the amazing kids club which our 3 year old daughter just loved. I was in awe that the kids club staff knew every kids name by day 1 (and they had about 50 + kids in there!) and that they took the kids for real adventures: coral boat trips, bonfire on beach, night walks to see native animals etc. The island facilities in my eyes are 5 star, the bures beautifully designed with loving touches such as fresh flowers every day, the 2 swimming pools are great, and the food was simply delicious. You can tell that the place has good management and that the staff is friendly because they are happy there (and not just smiling because they should be smiling...as in many 5 star chain hotels on the main island). The beaches are beautiful and my husband spent hours of snorkelling seeing colourful fish, rays, sea snakes. I would recommend Castaway to any Fiji visitor and especially families with kids. It is a bit more expensive to start with but once on the island you only need to pay for your drinks (if booked on meal deal) and it is well worth it. The only complaint I had was that nobody told us about the private boat taxi option to get here, because the travel agent booked us 2 nights on the main land, and after staying on Castaway we would have preferred to stay the extra night there and take a boat straight to the airport rather than going back to a chain hotel on Denarau!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Castaway Island Fiji? Share your experiences!